General Carowinds discussion
carowindsman6654 wrote:So much for the "they don't work in the rain" seeing how they are. :roll: They wear harnesses for a reason.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say they are done for the day due to rain. It has only been a slight drizzle down here on the South side all morning, then about an hour/hour and half ago it started raining pretty steadily and work seems to have stopped. And while they may where harnesses, it still is a safety concern getting up, hooking in, unhooking, getting back down. Not to mention the power equipment they are using probably isn't the most conducive for heavy rain. I can only imagine trying to hang onto a pneumatic wrench (which I am assuming is what they are using) on those large bolts while it is even a light rain.
swampfox43 wrote:Now, back to OUR coaster...... (but thanks for that menacing look at KD's)

Has anyone else noticed that the 2nd drop looks to be a bit steeper than the "ramp" portrayed in the drawings? It may be the way the cameras are angled but it looks a lot better from what I am seeing on the cams.

http://intimidator.carowinds.com/public ... /index.cfm

Doesn't look like the rain is slowing them down any. Lot's of action still going on.

I have noticed that about the second drop, but we will only be able to tell once Wormy (or someone else) gets a picture perpindicular to it.
chknwing wrote:no it wasn't hard to figure out, just why you thought it looked that way in the video.

There are better photos that show what we mean by "rampy" but I can't seem to locate but one. This drawing:
http://intimidator.carowinds.com/public/ride/layout.cfm
seems to indicate the 2nd drop is kinda "ramp like", as opposed to what I am seeing on the cams. Of course, they haven't finished laying the track yet so chances are it will start to look more like the photo.

Anyway, this was just a mere observation. I like the way the 2nd drop dips to the right and it appears to turn more than 90 degrees. Looking better by the day!
To me, a ramp is more of a double down...

This is not a double down. not in the video, not on the graphic, not in anyones dream...
coasterbruh wrote:To me, a ramp is more of a double down...

This is not a double down. not in the video, not on the graphic, not in anyones dream...

Hmmm, I really hate getting in to this but....Jarvis, Jarvis, Jarvis....
How can you think of a ramp as a double down? A double down is well, exactly that. What is typically known in coaster terms as a "double-dip". A hill that has been divided into two separate drops by a flattening out of the drop midway down the hill (definition pasted from The Ultimate RollerCoaster Glossary). Enthusiasts generally refer to the Jack Rabbit at Kennywood Park as having one of the most effective double-dips out there.

And you are right, this element does not exist on our Intimidator.

A ramp on the other hand, is usually defined as a long straight, straightaway with a gradual descent/ascent. Like a wheelchair ramp. Really, I am not trying to start anything, I just want people to know what I (me, myself) meant when I said "ramp". It's not an official coaster term but it is not an uncommon term when used to describe coaster hills. Many writings in RollerCoaster Magazine use the term "ramp" to describe those long, gradually sloping track.

The defunct Hurricane coaster (Pavilion) among others, was often described as having a "ramp-like" second hill.
swampfox43 wrote:
coasterbruh wrote:To me, a ramp is more of a double down...

Hmmm, I really hate getting in to this but....Jarvis, Jarvis, Jarvis....
How can you think of a ramp as a double down? A double down is well, exactly that. What is typically known in coaster terms as a "double-dip". A hill that has been divided into two separate drops by a flattening out of the drop midway down the hill (definition pasted from The Ultimate RollerCoaster Glossary). Enthusiasts generally refer to the Jack Rabbit at Kennywood Park as having one of the most effective double-dips out there.

And you are right, this element does not exist on our Intimidator.

A ramp on the other hand, is usually defined as a long straight, straightaway with a gradual descent/ascent. Like a wheelchair ramp. Really, I am not trying to start anything, I just want people to know what I (me, myself) meant when I said "ramp". It's not an official coaster term but it is not an uncommon term when used to describe coaster hills. Many writings in RollerCoaster Magazine use the term "ramp" to describe those long, gradually sloping track.

The defunct Hurricane coaster (Pavilion) among others, was often described as having a "ramp-like" second hill.

Lol I'm thinking of a handicap ramp that levels out midway down so that's why I was like "huh" when I saw ramp...