General Carowinds discussion
By chunkyskunk
WindsWaker wrote:I'm sure if supports really were on site, we'd have seen them by now.

They are several grey supports on site as of Thursday. They are shorter ones. Likely for the same track that is already at the park. The station, brake run and transfer area. My friend took some pictures from his Iphone while going up Thunder Road lift hill. He only had one photo of the supports and you can barely see the supports at the top right of the photo. They appeared to me to be the same support as the one at the far right of this photo:
http://www.rcdb.com/4253.htm?p=22249
Attachments
photo-1.jpg
photo-1.jpg (92.92 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
By WindsWaker
chunkyskunk wrote:
WindsWaker wrote:I'm sure if supports really were on site, we'd have seen them by now.

They are several grey supports on site as of Thursday. They are shorter ones. Likely for the same track that is already at the park. The station, brake run and transfer area. My friend took some pictures from his Iphone while going up Thunder Road lift hill. He only had one photo of the supports and you can barely see the supports at the top right of the photo. They appeared to me to be the same support as the one at the far right of this photo:

Oh, okay. I was more in the main track-support mindset when I made my comment.
carowindsman6654 wrote:
Diamondback FOF wrote:Are we sure this isn't an Intamin, then? (with 13 being bad luck, Intamin having bad luck with reliability)

Please tell me you're not serious. We need some update pics of track. :D

I was kidding.
By ThrillSeeker
chunkyskunk wrote:This is veering a bit off the current day's new clue but I wanted to pass this along to see if anyone else has noticed this. I was at the park Thursday and while riding Afterburn I noticed, while going up the lift hill, that the footers for our assumed hammerhead turnaround area seems rather narrow. I noticed this last week also when I was on Afterburn. Being the Google Earth geek that I am, I zoomed in and measured a few turnarounds of various similar styles. I am measuring the widest part of the turnaround.
Nitro (SFGAdv) Apprx 90 feet wide at widest part.
Goliath (SFOG) Apprx 155 feet wide at widest part.
Goliath (SGOT) Apprx 110 feet wide at widest part.
Raging Bull (SFGA) Aprrox 95 feet wide at widest part.
Now looking at the footers near the south gate, they do not appear to be even close to the 90' mark. Also, to give you an idea, the track at the lowest elevation entering and the lowest elevation of the track after exiting the batwing (tunnel section) of Afterburn is around 50' apart. Now these measurements are approximent but fairly close. I have zoomed in on Google Earth before and measured known landmarks and the accuracy is very good. I have not been and walked around the construction fence . It may just be an illusion and once you get down at the fence at those footers, then you can clearly see they are farther apart then they appear on the lift hill. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Yes I thought the same thing but both of my cousins do not agree with me. I am glad someone finaly does. This will be a (I told you so) moment if there is no hammerhead.
By coasterbruh
ThrillSeeker wrote:
chunkyskunk wrote:This is veering a bit off the current day's new clue but I wanted to pass this along to see if anyone else has noticed this. I was at the park Thursday and while riding Afterburn I noticed, while going up the lift hill, that the footers for our assumed hammerhead turnaround area seems rather narrow. I noticed this last week also when I was on Afterburn. Being the Google Earth geek that I am, I zoomed in and measured a few turnarounds of various similar styles. I am measuring the widest part of the turnaround.
Nitro (SFGAdv) Apprx 90 feet wide at widest part.
Goliath (SFOG) Apprx 155 feet wide at widest part.
Goliath (SGOT) Apprx 110 feet wide at widest part.
Raging Bull (SFGA) Aprrox 95 feet wide at widest part.
Now looking at the footers near the south gate, they do not appear to be even close to the 90' mark. Also, to give you an idea, the track at the lowest elevation entering and the lowest elevation of the track after exiting the batwing (tunnel section) of Afterburn is around 50' apart. Now these measurements are approximent but fairly close. I have zoomed in on Google Earth before and measured known landmarks and the accuracy is very good. I have not been and walked around the construction fence . It may just be an illusion and once you get down at the fence at those footers, then you can clearly see they are farther apart then they appear on the lift hill. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Yes I thought the same thing but both of my cousins do not agree with me. I am glad someone finaly does. This will be a (I told you so) moment if there is no hammerhead.

its gonna be a non inverting immelman, according my my many sources...
By flewthecoop26
chunkyskunk wrote:

Maybe the grey "track" = lift hill chain cover?
By flewthecoop26
I went back to the KDFansite page to look at some of the track in Ohio and it struck some curiosity. The yellow track sitting beside the red track (ours?) is still eating at me. Does anyone know where that track is going? I know we've discussed dueling hypers and have ruled it out, but i'm curious based solely on the "lightning strikes twice" quote. Unless someone know where that yellow track is going, i'm curious...
By WindsWaker
flewthecoop26 wrote:I went back to the KDFansite page to look at some of the track in Ohio and it struck some curiosity. The yellow track sitting beside the red track (ours?) is still eating at me. Does anyone know where that track is going? I know we've discussed dueling hypers and have ruled it out, but i'm curious based solely on the "lightning strikes twice" quote. Unless someone know where that yellow track is going, i'm curious...

This track?

http://www.gravityphotography.net/ptr/BnMfabrication/pg1.htm

The general consensus was that the track was going somewhere overseas, due to the shipping containers on site. As you have seen, most track traveling within the states goes by way of flat-bed.

I haven't heard anything more about that track, though.
WindsWaker wrote:
flewthecoop26 wrote:I went back to the KDFansite page to look at some of the track in Ohio and it struck some curiosity. The yellow track sitting beside the red track (ours?) is still eating at me. Does anyone know where that track is going? I know we've discussed dueling hypers and have ruled it out, but i'm curious based solely on the "lightning strikes twice" quote. Unless someone know where that yellow track is going, i'm curious...

This track?

http://www.gravityphotography.net/ptr/BnMfabrication/pg1.htm

The general consensus was that the track was going somewhere overseas, due to the shipping containers on site. As you have seen, most track traveling within the states goes by way of flat-bed.

I haven't heard anything more about that track, though.

Yes, and thankyou. I overlooked the size difference between the two. I am glad for the "much larger" track being ours. :)
By derek_lentz
patrick2pointoh wrote:I got a media invite today in the mail. It's really cool, very excited :D

Was that one of the 5 Coasterstock drawing passes or an actually media pass? Just wondering since I didn't get mine today. :(
derek_lentz wrote:
patrick2pointoh wrote:I got a media invite today in the mail. It's really cool, very excited :D

Was that one of the 5 Coasterstock drawing passes or an actually media pass? Just wondering since I didn't get mine today. :(

I got mine yesterday. I was wondering if I was one of the five too. I can't attend the announcement unless I drive all the way back from Rochester NY day after I arrive there. :lol: It's tempting, though.