General Carowinds discussion
By TopGunUkno
i really couldn't see them naming TOP GUN anything else... they could call it TOP FLIGHT or something corny like that but man. its always going to be topgun in my heart =) lol
By bgwfreak
I'm going to go on a hunger strike if they rename it!!!!!!

Take that Cedar Fair! :lol:
By Jay
Footballteen58 wrote: ^ 14 and why does that matter.  Im not gonna spam.  So ill have add more.  Falts im hoping for:
Zamperla Disko(AND GOD NO NOT SURVIVOR!)
HUSS Giant Frisbee
HUSS Jump2
HUSS Giant Floorless Top Spin(NOT TR)
Aileron
and I would like to see a Proslide Tornado in BB

How many of these have you actually ridden? These are REALLY high expectations for a park of Carowinds' size. Let me knock you down a size..

-Zamperla Diskos SUCK. (Plus it would be stupid having a Disko and Frisbee in the same park as they pretty much do the same thing)

-While they are fun rides, Giant Frisbees are usually plagued with problems, I'd rather get a Moser Sidewinder (Fandango at Knoebels) or a Intamin Gyro-Swing (Maelstrom at Drayton Manor), both of which are still great rides.

-From what I hear the PCW'ians aren't thrilled with their Jump2, so I dunno about that really.

-Why Giant and Floorless Top Spin? Wouldn't a regular size one be fine?

-Don't even know what an Aileron is..

-Proslide Tornado I agree with you on, every waterpark in the country needs one.

-S&S Screaming Swings are mediocre at best, I rode the 36 person model at Thorpe Park and it was amazing for about 1 swing then it ended abruptly, get one that doesn't end prematurely and we'll talk..

What we need are reliable flats that the majority of people enjoy, such classics such as a Waveswinger, a Spider, a Wipeout, a non-inverting Swinging Ship, a Troika, etc etc. All of you want these big expensive rides for Carowinds, but I'm sorry its just not going to happen, at least not under the management of Cedar Fair.
By Jonathan
Just bring our wave swinger back from California.

And oh yeah tea cups plz kthx.
By Footballteen58
JamminJ wrote:
Footballteen58 wrote: ^ 14 and why does that matter.  Im not gonna spam.   So ill have add more.  Falts im hoping for:
Zamperla Disko(AND GOD NO NOT SURVIVOR!)
HUSS Giant Frisbee
HUSS Jump2
HUSS Giant Floorless Top Spin(NOT TR)
Aileron
and I would like to see a Proslide Tornado in BB

How many of these have you actually ridden? These are REALLY high expectations for a park of Carowinds' size. Let me knock you down a size..

-Zamperla Diskos SUCK. (Plus it would be stupid having a Disko and Frisbee in the same park as they pretty much do the same thing)

-While they are fun rides, Giant Frisbees are usually plagued with problems, I'd rather get a Moser Sidewinder (Fandango at Knoebels) or a Intamin Gyro-Swing (Maelstrom at Drayton Manor), both of which are still great rides.

-From what I hear the PCW'ians aren't thrilled with their Jump2, so I dunno about that really.

-Why Giant and Floorless Top Spin? Wouldn't a regular size one be fine?

-Don't even know what an Aileron is..

-Proslide Tornado I agree with you on, every waterpark in the country needs one.

-S&S Screaming Swings are mediocre at best, I rode the 36 person model at Thorpe Park and it was amazing for about 1 swing then it ended abruptly, get one that doesn't end prematurely and we'll talk..

What we need are reliable flats that the majority of people enjoy, such classics such as a Waveswinger, a Spider, a Wipeout, a non-inverting Swinging Ship, a Troika, etc etc. All of you want these big expensive rides for Carowinds, but I'm sorry its just not going to happen, at least not under the management of Cedar Fair.

I have ridden a Frissbee but thats it. It was awesome(maXair at Cedar Point). Ok yea any top of Top Spin will do really. Id like to see a HUSS Jump2 cause they look awesome and there so rare. Carowinds dosent need any family rides now Nick Central got a golden ticket a while ago.
By coasterdave
You mean third in the Golden Tickets for best Kid's area last year?
By Jay
Footballteen58 wrote: I have ridden a Frissbee but thats it. It was awesome(maXair at Cedar Point). Ok yea any top of Top Spin will do really. Id like to see a HUSS Jump2 cause they look awesome and there so rare. Carowinds dosent need any family rides now Nick Central got a golden ticket a while ago.

The park ALWAYS needs new family attractions.. how do you expect to pay for all this expensive crap you are buying for the park without money from the families? They enjoy new things too, not just enthusiass.. err enthusiasts. And Dave is right.. they got 3rd place last year, behind PKI and Legoland I believe. 3rd place isn't really marketable.
By Footballteen58
Yes i understand that but still they dont need a Family Ride next year. Family stuff has been added in 2005 and 2006 next year is our turn.
By coasterholic14
Seriously, with the exception of BORG in 2004, most if not all of the attractions added have been family oriented. I know we need family stuff to bring in the people who bring in the most money, but that will rarely make a park more well known to the people who bring in even more money, tourists. Thrill rides are generally what will bring in people from other places along with more money. I would love a HUSS Giant Frisbee, they are great rides...a park can be improved greatly just with the addition of one of these because of how popular they've been. And, though i've never been on it, i've heard nothing but good things about Swat when it was at SF Astroworld. I think, if the park wants to make the thrill ride junkies like me happy AND families happy at the same time (a win-win there), they need to bring in classic midway rides (usually spinning rides)...Tilt-a-whirls (my favorite), a Monster/Octopus, Trabant (i'm not sure if that's what they are called), rides of that sort. And also something like a non-inverting Swinging Ship (always fun rides). I think the addition of a big thrill ride and a handful of classic midway rides could greatly improve the park, for families and thrill ride junkies (and enthusiasts of course) at the same time.
By chargercrazy
Bring back the Wild Bull! :D
By Carowindsman
bring back white lightnin
By bgwfreak
It's kind of funny how everything has come full circle.

Back in the 70's and 80's Carowinds used to have a lot of flats, like a monster ride and some that I have never even heard of (just check out Ken's website).

I personally love the giant frisbees, but they have a lot of down time. Come to think of it everything from Huss seems to have a lot of down time. I stopped at Dollywood to ride the new timber tower and it was down.

I like Top Spins as well, it would be kind of neat if they bought the one from Pavilion when it closes.
By Edwardo
Either one of 2 things I see happening:

1) Next year you won't see many visual changes, but you'll start to see operational changes. CF hasn't stated For Sure that they are or aren't keeping the Paramount themeing beyond 2006. They may, they may not. If they don't, changes in names could be made for Top Guns and Drop Zones. I doubt you'll see a different name on something like Hurler, as that really isn't 'themed' to Wayne's World anymore. Tomb Raider could change, but the thing with Tomb Raider is that they could get a seperate license and just theme it to the game instead of the movie.

Also, when it comes to BORG, remember, they are getting Star Trek: The Experience along with this (unless something changes, as ST:TE wasn't on the CFLP site), so they may already have a Trek license in place. Trek is a Paramount property, but it is still a seperate franchise that could easily be kept. If CFLP keeps ST:TE, I'd expect BORG to stay the same for now.

Nick stuff will obviously be staying, as they're interested AND could roll that out to other parks. Nick is like Trek, under the companie(s), but still a seperate franchise. As for Boomerang Bay, they may decide to go with something like Soak City or Wild Water Kingdom, but the PCar Boomerang Bay has no licensing to it, just the name. They could easily just drop the Dundee refrences at PKI and PGA and name them all Boomerang Bay.

2) Next year or 2 you won't see anything Paramount at all and CFLP will be busy re-doing all the parks, removing licensed stuff (again, I doubt BORG will go as long as they keep ST:TE), and you will see the parks CFized.

Everyone likes to compare what CF did to GLP to what they'll do to the Paramount parks, however, that is a totally different scenario. First off, CF purchased and completed the transaction for GLP just a couple months before it opened. Not only that, it was one park with SFI and Warner Bros. Licensing, so it had to be stripped and things renamed.

Thats not the case here. CF can option to keep the License for a little longer as they slowly phase out Paramount (which I think would be a good idea). It costs a lot of money to License, but it also costs a lot of money to tear out and re-brand everything on the fly as well. At least now CFLP had the Paramount takeover probably in the works a few months before it was even official, and now that they're officially owners, they have the rest of this year to figure out if they need/want more time to un-Paramount the parks.

Then there's the fact that CF could decide to keep the Paramount themeing for the forseeable future. Right now, we don't know, and they haven't decided to let us know.

I think it will be a wise move if they cancel the HQs in Charolette. Thats less of an expense. I hate to see the PP Corporate peeps loose their jobs there, though, so I hope not a lot of that goes on. They did keep mentioning Sat. Offices when referring to that one. Heck, CFLP could decide to run PP as a branch of CFLP, keeping them as PP and with a corporate governance located near PCar for those 5 parks (but that, to me, seems unlikely).

One thing is for sure, CF picked up 5 potentially priceless investments. All the parks except PGA have a decent amount of land as well as resort opportunities. I wouldn't be suprised to eventually see Hotels and possibly indoor waterparks at PKI, PKD, PCar, and PCW. I also expect to see a campground back at PKI (which was the original plan after the Lodge was completed anywho).

Three things, though, have me wondering:

Bonfonte & ST:TE-They picked up the mgt. contract for Bonfonte, but it isn't on their map. Wonder if they'll keep it, or if Bonfonte will keep them? As per ST:TE, I see them keeping that, and since it isn't a park, I can see why it isn't on the map. If they do give it up eventually, however, they'll likely have to give the property mgt. up to someone else and licensing stays the same. Niether property is a new territory for them, as they had Camp Snoopy @ MoA until the Mall opted them out, so we'll see.

The proposed Paramount Theme Park in Japan. This was going to be a Paramount Studios park built and themed from the Ground Up. Paramount Parks was to Manage it, plan/construct it, and own a small stake along with another companie(s). I wonder if it is still being planned? It could still happen, since the (former) Paramount Parks only owned a stake, and the other companie(s) could option the Paramount Licensing, and just keep CFLP as the Mgt. company. I've heard NOTHING about this in a while.

Online tickets-Paramount's online tickets were a great savings over Cedar Fair's, I hope that that doesn't go away :(.