General Carowinds discussion
Capler wrote:Let’s be grateful that Cedar Fair has placed our long neglected park at the same level of importance as King Dominion and Kings Island. It has been decades since we have been treated equal to our siblings.

You know what...its comments like this that make me have little to no respect for some coaster nerds. You say the park has been long neglected...what I call a neglected park seems to be totally different from what you call a neglected park. I call a park that gets a custom stand up coaster and a custom inverted coaster a park that is doing good. I call a park that has a pretty good water park a park that is doing good. I call a park with rides like the flyer and drop tower a park that is doing pretty good. I understand you wanna kiss butt and rave how cedar fair has been the super hero of carowinds and saved it from destitute and dispare and the verge of dying but you dont have to do it at the expense of the prior owners, whether it be paramount, taft, kings enterainment, or pat e hall in the beginning. I hope you are understanding what I am saying and realize if it wasnt for the prev owners the park could have taken a entire different turn. It wasnt like the park was on the chopping block and bankrupted and closed and sat dormant then cedar fair came in and save the park from a bulldozer.

I appreciate cedar fair for taking the parks and continuing to upgrade and add stuff to it but im not gonna make it seem like the previous owners did nothing at all to better the parks and just sat on their thumbs waiting for the next season to collect money...

Anyway im glad to see the track progressing to the park at a good rate. Im hoping the dug up line in the pavement is the start of digging up the concrete!
I think the track is too "empty" to be brake track. Generally brake track has the brake mechanism on it
coasterbruh wrote:I think the track is too "empty" to be brake track. Generally brake track has the brake mechanism on it

If you look closely in some recent photos from derek, you can see magnetic brakes which are widely used for "slowdown" brakes, as seen here... http://rcdb.com/4253.htm?p=22250 It is the sloped part before transfer track.

Edit: here is an example of magnetic brakes... http://rcdb.com/4253.htm?p=22246
By evansk
CoasterFreak225 wrote:
coasterbruh wrote:I think the track is too "empty" to be brake track. Generally brake track has the brake mechanism on it

If you look closely in some recent photos from derek, you can see magnetic brakes which are widely used for "slowdown" brakes, as seen here... http://rcdb.com/4253.htm?p=22250 It is the sloped part before transfer track.

Is it just me or does there seem to be an awful lot of straight track delivered on-site so far? Perhaps we are getting some sort of a B&M launched coaster.

Or maybe I have been looking at the track delivery photos way too long! :lol:
By Capler
Bruh, I base my observations on Carowinds from the 1970's through today. I won't go into much detail because it is getting off topic. But, once upon time, Carowinds got record breaking attractions before or along with it's sister parks. That all changed with Paramount. While PKI & PKD were getting state of the art stuff, the rest of the parks in the chain were an after thought. Where is our FOF, Tomb Raiders/Fire Fall, SOB, Volcano, Giant Frisbee, all state of the art attractions, few if any other parks had. I would have loved to have an FOF at Carowinds but they were reserved for the two choosen parks in the company. None of us got a hyper so I won't even put that on the table. But now Fair steps in and basically gives all of us the same thing. Yeah, we got Top Gun, but it was the next logical move since PKI had an Invertigo, PKD had Volcano, PCW has the suspended thing and PGA had theirs. On Borg, PGA needed to move it and Carowinds needed a coaster. The Flying Super Saturator was a different story. Love it or hate it, Paramount dared to give Carowinds something unique and different. Sadly it was too unique and different for it's own good.
lazor 22 wrote:I really hope we get a Buckle and a few helices like on Goliath La Ronde. I'm also hoping for a more forceful version of Goliath SFoG's helix.

More forceful? Don't you think enough people crown out or black out on that one, let alone a more forceful one? :lol:
By drpeppa93
^exactly!! the first time i ever rode Goliath i blacked out from just into the helix till we started going over the next bunny hill. That thing pulls just about enough G's. I don't think more G's would be very good for the riders.

Sooo excited to see track FINALLY!!!!!! I might go up next week to get a close up view... but not close enough to get into any trouble. haha :lol:
Also, I couldn't tell howmany there were, but there was at least one piece with a slight bend. I believe that is for the beginning of the brake run like on Dimoandback after the splachdown. There is the slanted brake run, and then it levels off. That does not mean, though, that there will be a splashdown because Behemoth has the same ending.
By Capler
What most of us fail to realize is that most folk in the general public do not want 'more forceful' rides. That is purely an enthusiast and a teen boy wish. B&M is aiming for the middle. Sure they could build something that would snatch our insides out as it crosses a helix but the public would not like it. Most people want a nice smooth experience on a coaster. I'm wondering what the line is like on SOB these days? DB at KI is the perfect coaster. IMO, Afterburner is a little on the forceful side, that cork screw makes my stomach churn, but I love it. Hulk gives me a headache after about 3 rides every time. On the other hand, I rode Kracken 15 straight times with no problem. I think the floorless coasters are the perfect combination of forces.
Capler wrote:Bruh, I base my observations on Carowinds from the 1970's through today. I won't go into much detail because it is getting off topic. But, once upon time, Carowinds got record breaking attractions before or along with it's sister parks. That all changed with Paramount. While PKI & PKD were getting state of the art stuff, the rest of the parks in the chain were an after thought. Where is our FOF, Tomb Raiders/Fire Fall, SOB, Volcano, Giant Frisbee, all state of the art attractions, few if any other parks had. I would have loved to have an FOF at Carowinds but they were reserved for the two choosen parks in the company. None of us got a hyper so I won't even put that on the table. But now Fair steps in and basically gives all of us the same thing. Yeah, we got Top Gun, but it was the next logical move since PKI had an Invertigo, PKD had Volcano, PCW has the suspended thing and PGA had theirs. On Borg, PGA needed to move it and Carowinds needed a coaster. The Flying Super Saturator was a different story. Love it or hate it, Paramount dared to give Carowinds something unique and different. Sadly it was too unique and different for it's own good.

But what other coaster options did cedar fair really have to go with...its kinda slim pickings at this point. The way you are talking its like you wanted every park to get the same thing the other park got. It kinda sounds like the kid that always wants what the older brother wanted. You are basically ignoring the good that was done. You simply blew off top gun as "next logical move" but it was a move that didnt have to be done at all. All parks got a drop zone, when kd got richoet carowinds got one, same with hurler. But did you ever think the attendance numbers had alot to do with it...the parks that got the most people which hypothetically means got the most revenue would quite naturally get the most/seemingly better attractions because they have the numbers to support it. I just find it kinda silly for someone to think that just because one park got something all the parks should get it when all the parks dont perform the same. How would you like it if you are doing really good at work and a co worker didnt do as good as you but is getting the same amount of merit increase?

You say "lately cedar fair has stepped in and gave "us" the same things"...yeah the same thing all right, USED rides! (yeah cheap shot I know lol :lol: )
Correct me if im wrong but didnt carowinds just start getting close to or over 2mil visitors? Im guess cedar fair feels the crowd carowinds brings in warrants the new coaster. Are you gonna complain with it doesnt add up to the other. You should also treat this coaster as "the next logical move" right, since all the other parks got one :? .

I guess im a glass half full kinda guy. I just looked at having a season pass a better value when I had a reason to go to another park that had DIFFERENT rides and not the same attractions. I appreciate there isnt a Batman-the ride at every cedar fair park but if it were up to you it seems like that would be the case...

I personally dont think this coaster will do anything different then the rest other then maybe be taller...

***disclaimer*** I dont wanna come off as attacking anyone but I just feel its really one sided when someone makes it seem "previous owners" screwed the park and blew off all that they mananged to accomplish***

Now I wonder what color the supports for this new coaster are gonna be!
evansk wrote:
CoasterFreak225 wrote:

Is it just me or does there seem to be an awful lot of straight track delivered on-site so far? Perhaps we are getting some sort of a B&M launched coaster.

Or maybe I have been looking at the track delivery photos way too long! :lol:

Nah...Maybe their only bring in the straight tracks in first only to make us thing we are getting a launch coaster.

As far as the pictures, Congrates! to the whos who got the pictures. Only 20 days till we find out for sure. As far as the the RCT3 design layout, That could also be right on the spot.

And I'm staring to wonder about the name "White Lightning" With the tracks being Red, I just don't see how White Lightning fits. I mean if the tracks was a dark shade of blue to symbol like a thunderstorm and then having a white train flying around the track then that would make since? But then again I could be wrong?
Firstly, the new site looks great!!

Back on track now.... pun intended :lol:

If you go to the kiextreme site, hunt down the Diamondback Construction Thread. The track similarities are remarkable, right down to the date they were posting this very thing!! Kinda cool.. :D

I'm not an expert, but it looks like brakes/transfer track stuff... :mrgreen: