General Carowinds discussion
By coasterfreak
hdmech wrote:Here is what I have heard. I have seen that since carowinds is so close to the airport, that carowinds is ristricted to the height of the rides that they can have up there... although I am hearing this only on rumor, it sounds......interesting

Yeah, It's like 400 feet or something like that, so, no biggie really, just means we won't see a Kingda Ka sized thing, so what?
By jordN1414
Considering the Bank of America tower is 800 ft tall and closer to the airport than Carowinds. I dont think there is a issue.

If there was a new coaster wouldn't we already be seeing preparations?
By CarowindsFreak
I also once heard about a height restriction on rides after the sky tower accident.

I don't think we will be getting a new roller coaster next year. Maybe a flat ride or new watersides (pro slides ).
By Picklesthedrummer
jordN1414 wrote:Considering the Bank of America tower is 800 ft tall and closer to the airport than Carowinds. I dont think there is a issue.

Yes, but downtown is not in line with the runways like Carowinds is. The planes fly over Carowinds, but not downtown.
By Edwardo
Bingo! Uptown isn't in any flight paths, Carowinds is. Though I'm pretty sure the FAA has to approve any supertall buildings uptown as well. I've read different things so not sure.

And any height restrictions aren't going to be the reason Carowinds doesn't get a huge coaster. Cost and the fact that Dad lives on a peninsula by the mothership is reason enough ;-).
By arby
I recall this being discussed last year but I can't find the thread at the moment. Someone had a pilot friend that they talked to and he said something like anything under 1200' or 2200' (I don't remember exactly) wouldn't cause any concerns. The consensus at the time is that there wouldn't be anything built at the park anytime soon that would come anywhere near that height.

(sorry in advance :wink:) Looking at it mathematically, the approach speed for a commercial airliner is around 160 - 185 MPH. I'll use 180 as the average to make the math easy which works out to about 3 miles per minute. Carowinds is about 4 miles directly from the closest airport runway, so an airplane over Carowinds will touch down in about 1.3 minutes. The average rate of descent for a commercial plane is around 2000 - 3000 feet per minute. Assuming a straight line descent, removing other variables and taking the lower number of 2000 fpm, that puts an average commercial airplane about 2600 feet in the air when it flies over the park (2000 * 1.3). Based on that info, I can't imagine there ever being a restriction on anything under 1000' and we're sure to not see anything that tall here anytime in the near future.
By Edwardo
I doubt very seriously you'll ever see a restriction, that really doesn't happen much. FAA approval is to make sure that everything is in order, in line, and known about to pilots. They don't usually 'disapprove', they just need to know the specifics before it's built.
By carowinds4ever
arby wrote:I recall this being discussed last year but I can't find the thread at the moment. Someone had a pilot friend that they talked to and he said something like anything under 1200' or 2200' (I don't remember exactly) wouldn't cause any concerns. The consensus at the time is that there wouldn't be anything built at the park anytime soon that would come anywhere near that height.

it was on page 4 of 'new for 2011" thread.
By RollerBee
New water ride that everyone can ride, or new slides in BB.
By will44
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
By carowinds4ever
according to screamscpape.com there have been survey markings showing up in the field of intimidator, that say "HUSS-GF". I have not been to the park since monday and did not notice anything then. The link is below to click on. I won't make it back to the park til this monday, i was curious if anyone could get some pictures to confirm. Thanks in advance!

http://screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm
By jeffdavis
http://www.hussrides.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=157

HUSS makes the Giant Frisbee and the Giant Frisbee 55, among other rides.

Why would Carowinds have those letters spray painted in the area the ride was going? For overhead views, impact studies, something else? Seems like writing the ride's name on the ground is unnecessary, to me. I can understand survey markings, though.

Can someone confirm those markings?