General Carowinds discussion
http://www.airnav.com/airport/NC55

It's nothing more than a concrete pad behind a fence over between the campground and Carowinds Boulevard. I imagine it's for emergency purposes so they don't have to deal with a helicopter landing in the middle of the park because somebody had a heart attack or whatever. It also allows the park some level of governance over their airspace which is how they can regulate drones and that kind of thing.

And yes, the land purchase is probably for a campground expansion if I'm correct on the location.
By gabed
Please oh please let it be for some of these
As far as permission from Carowinds to fly over their property...
They have that right by just owning the property, they don’t need the helipad to control drones over their property. Now someone standing along or on Carowinds Blvd and flying is questionable but keep in mind, FAA says we can’t fly over cars.

I checked AirMap and you would have to have permission from the FAA as Carowinds is Controlled Airspace due to Charlotte-Douglas depending upon your license.
tarheel1231 wrote:So, campground expansion? If I’m not mistaken, the employee dorms took out some of the tent sites, so if the demand is still there, it makes sense to expand again.

Small sidebar - is there any information anywhere about tent camping at Carowinds? Everything I find only mentions cabins and RV sites.
Glitch99 wrote:
tarheel1231 wrote:So, campground expansion? If I’m not mistaken, the employee dorms took out some of the tent sites, so if the demand is still there, it makes sense to expand again.

Small sidebar - is there any information anywhere about tent camping at Carowinds? Everything I find only mentions cabins and RV sites.

Actually, I think the tent sites were entirely removed from the resort once the dorms went up. Compare the map from 2018 to the current one:

[EDIT] Looking back through the forum, this was indeed the case. The tent sites were removed for the employee dorms.
By Chris
Coasterphreak wrote:http://www.airnav.com/airport/NC55

It's nothing more than a concrete pad behind a fence over between the campground and Carowinds Boulevard. I imagine it's for emergency purposes so they don't have to deal with a helicopter landing in the middle of the park because somebody had a heart attack or whatever. It also allows the park some level of governance over their airspace which is how they can regulate drones and that kind of thing.

Too cool. Thanks for the info.

Sorry, that's not a helipad ... too close to the cell tower and it's not on Carowinds property. It's a left over from John Deere testing site.

The airport designation is for the entire parking lot. It was established for incident management for a mass casualty event if something were to happen on I77 or the surrounding county. It might have been used for helicopter landing a couple of times.

I imagine it's for emergency purposes so they don't have to deal with a helicopter landing in the middle of the park because somebody had a heart attack or whatever.

I can't imagine they'd use a helicopter for anything other than a mass-victim incident. The time to transport someone to that location, wait on a helicopter, and get them to a hospital wouldn't be any faster than loading them in an ambulance and driving the 5 miles to the hospital in Steele Creek.
yawetag wrote:

I imagine it's for emergency purposes so they don't have to deal with a helicopter landing in the middle of the park because somebody had a heart attack or whatever.

I can't imagine they'd use a helicopter for anything other than a mass-victim incident. The time to transport someone to that location, wait on a helicopter, and get them to a hospital wouldn't be any faster than loading them in an ambulance and driving the 5 miles to the hospital in Steele Creek.

But depending on the severity it would probably be better to transport them to CMC Main since it has everything.