General Carowinds discussion
By thewinds
This is a big day for us as fans of the park. Regardless of what the development plans are, and the timeline for the development, this signals a great future for the park, and here's why....

Since Pat Hall's later phases fell through, the park has been owned by companies that never had a long term goal for their parks. They referred to them as "holdings" and treated them as such. For the majority of our previous owners we were just another division to them. Paramount/ Viacom probably displayed that more than any. I'm not trying to hold Cedar Fair up as the greatest company in the world, they have certainly had some controversial decisions, but they are a true amusement park company. And the fact is, they displayed their long term vision today by doing something that hasn't been done in 36 years. They expanded the boundaries of our park.

So many parks are "locked in" to their footprint anymore. Sure we don't have the latest, tallest, fastest coasters in the world, but we now have something that many other parks do not... room for the future, and an owner that's not scared to expand.
I can see a new parking lot in the future. They could remove the south gate, remove all the parking by Thunder road that is rarely used, and extend the park out through the south gate down. Now, I don't know if that would happen, but it is an idea. This would be the perfect area for some new rides and maybe even a small coaster.

With the new land, I can really only see a hotel or a whole new parking system that would redo the whole entire parking lot in general. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole parking lot now would be mostly gone in the future. If that would be the case, I know that this land probably won't be used in the near future.
chknwing wrote:There is only one Thirsty Pony, and u didnt go in? Wow what a loss. man that is the best place to eat in the US. When I went to Cedar POint, the trip was more for Thirsty Pony than it was for Cedar Point.

Well I would have gone in if I knew it was that good!
If they expand past the South Gate, that would actually mean we can walk past the inverted batwing section of Afterburn, which since the South Gate is rarely open anymore never really gets to be seen from there.
By Jay
Whitesoxsfan21 wrote:I can see a new parking lot in the future. They could remove the south gate, remove all the parking by Thunder road that is rarely used, and extend the park out through the south gate down. Now, I don't know if that would happen, but it is an idea. This would be the perfect area for some new rides and maybe even a small coaster.

?
JamminJ wrote:

?

What is confusing about this? Looks like a good idea to me. Except I dont see the future parking lot being quite that huge. I see a hotel suck somewhere in that section and the rest being the parking lot.
By arby
JamminJ wrote:?

That makes the most sense to me. Park officials keep saying that they want to make Carowinds a travel destination. Since Cedar Point does it so well, I see something like this:

carowinds.png
carowinds.png (432.13 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
JamminJ wrote:
Whitesoxsfan21 wrote:I can see a new parking lot in the future. They could remove the south gate, remove all the parking by Thunder road that is rarely used, and extend the park out through the south gate down. Now, I don't know if that would happen, but it is an idea. This would be the perfect area for some new rides and maybe even a small coaster.

<SNIP>

?

Similar to that, yes. There's no way I could see the parking lot being that large though. More of some of the current plot for parking being revamped(Probably no farther than the Intimidator turn-around) The Resort would be more towards the new land though, and not in the back. Those are just ideas. I could probably write it out on paper if I had the correct measurements etc, but I'm not necessarily in that mood right now xP

Edit:

To be completely honest, that's all just a dream that will never happen. The new land is more than likely for a Resort for the future as most are saying.
I agree that it would be for a resort if its where everyone has highlighted. Has it been confirmed where the land that has been aquired is located? I dont recall seeing anything about where it is other than "adjacent to the park." I could see some re-construction of parking lots, re-routing of the entrance and exit roads, and hopefully the removal of the parking lot beside thunder road for more expansion of either the waterpark or more rides. I could see them adding parking over in what is grass now and removing the lot beside thunder road. I think a resort would be nice, but I mean there are hotels already beside the park so I dont know. Oh well at least we got 61 acres... hopefully that means new GCI woodie in the near future..
Whitesoxsfan21 wrote:
To be completely honest, that's all just a dream that will never happen. The new land is more than likely for a Resort for the future as most are saying.

61 acres for just a hotel and resort? I doubt that. Maybe like 25 acres used for a resort but not all 61 acres, if that is what you are saying.
I wasn't indicating that all of it would be taken up, but a good amount of it would probably be taken up. You gotta think about parking, the resort itself, landscaping, logos etc. Obviously, not the whole plot, but a good amount of it.

You also have to keep in mind that just because they bought 61 acres, doesn't mean they are going to fully use it all yet. Especially at one time.