General Carowinds discussion
By cadi40
tarheel1231 wrote:I'm sorry, but Crave and Personali-Tees are SUPER ugly. They're tiny, faded, and they most certainly don't belong in an destination theme park. I say gut them like they did with Plaza Gifts, and replace them with one store! Image

NC was famous for its textile industry in the 20th Century, why not implement that in the park? Design the exterior like an old textile mill, name the store "Carolina Textile Co." or something generic like that, and combine the Personali-Tees and Crave products into one store! You can either get a pre-made shirt or get a custom-designed one. It's not the most novel idea but it might bring a little more charm into the park. And it'd be way better to look at than the abominations that stand there now.

While they're at it, gut Premiers, build a new gift shop in that plot of land.

You gave me a new idea. A Outlet mall on park property with that exterior. Maybe a nice Hotel connected in some way to the Outlet mall. It would certainly look better then what we have now.
By tarheel1231
Does the park really need an outlet mall/retail center like Knott's though? It's in relatively close proximity to three of the more high-end malls in the Charlotte metro. Citywalk and the Knott's marketplace are pretty cool, but it'd probably be redundant at Carowinds.

As the park grows, I see the area around it becoming more tourist-trappy like Sandusky, with dozens of hotels and FEC's popping up.
By cadi40
tarheel1231 wrote:Does the park really need an outlet mall/retail center like Knott's though? It's in relatively close proximity to three of the more high-end malls in the Charlotte metro. Citywalk and the Knott's marketplace are pretty cool, but it'd probably be redundant at Carowinds.

As the park grows, I see the area around it becoming more tourist-trappy like Sandusky, with dozens of hotels and FEC's popping up.

I mean something like Disney Springs but on a smaller scale.
By cwgator
Um..yeah I don't know about an outlet mall. There was already an outlet type mall that has been demolished pretty much where Cabella's sits now. I think a hotel similar to the Dream More Resort would be all they need (well about half that size), with a nice pool area like they have. If any more restaurants pop up they'd likely be something like TGI Fridays or Perkins that's still accessible to those not staying at the hotel or going to the park.
By pproteinc
I think they need a restaurant that's 24hrs in that area. Maybe an IHOP or Dennys. With all the hotels on the Blvd, I'm surprised one hasn't been built yet.
By tylerSC
pproteinc wrote:I think they need a restaurant that's 24hrs in that area. Maybe an IHOP or Dennys. With all the hotels on the Blvd, I'm surprised one hasn't been built yet.

A 24 hour diner would be great, although as I said before I would prefer to see a Big Boy. There is a Frisch's Big Boy on the road near Kings Island in Ohio and I have stopped there before.
By cwgator
I would think Perkins (which could be 24hr) would fit quite well since there isn't one in NC or anywhere near Carowinds. The only one in SC is in Summerville. I prefer them over Denny's (eh) & IHOP. Plus they have one at Breakers, so it would make sense.
By tarheel1231
It would make sense to have an on-site restaurant for hotel guests. People gotta eat breakfast, why not keep the revenue flowing into the property than out? Though I don't know how concerned CF is with amenities at the hotel.
By cadi40
I think if they were to have a breakfast place it would be nicer quality then a Waffle House. But I think It could happen :D
By redrunner97
I mentioned some ideas and hopes I have for the future of the "Celebration Plaza" area at the front of the park earlier in another thread, and I'd like to elaborate here... Please note: I'm far from a graphic designer. :lol:

THE GRAND FOUNTAIN (BLUE)
Over the last ten or fifteen years, a lot of our park's beloved water features have been removed. Paramount/Cedar Fair parks like Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island, and Kings Dominion are well-known for the beautiful way they incorporate water and fountains into their parks. Carowinds once shared that reputation, as well. But not anymore; that's where 'The Grand Fountain' comes in.

A modern fountain (like the one below) would be a wonderful sight to see as you're crossing the bridge as you're making your way from the renovated entrance plaza to the actual park itself. It would only double-down on that "magical first impression" Cedar Fair keeps talking about wanting to bring to their parks. Fury / the new gate and landscaping was step one, a fountain like this would be an amazing follow up!

Include seating around it for spectators and guests to relax or wait for their friends/family, and add colorful lights in the water to make events more special (like syncing the colors to music, making it appear blood red for Scarowinds, red and green for Winterfest, etc.) It could really be beautiful!

IGNITE THE NIGHT REDUX (YELLOW)
Cedar Point's Luminosity was a huge hit, and Ignite the Night at Carowinds is a blast too. But a larger event could be even more of a crowd pleaser, and an improved venue for it (or any other potential future shows) just makes sense. Expand the stage as much as possible, and add stone benches around the far side of the plaza, leaving room for onlookers to stand or dance in the aisles while watching the show. There might not be enough room for a stage the size of Cedar Point's, but more can definitely be done within the space Carowinds has to work with.

NEW GIFT SHOPS AND MORE (RED)
Demolish the existing food stands and gift shops across from Starbucks. Make these new structures look more like Starbucks' exterior / facade (and have them possibly be interconnected inside in some capacity). Widen the paths to give more room for the new fountain and stage; coupled with brick pavers throughout the entire area and possibly even some new planets for flowers and trees, this area could look downright stunning, ease heat, and bring a more uniformed appearance to the front of the park.
By tarheel1231
I don't think they would add a fountain to that part of the park given that it's the park's most traversed midway, and putting something in the center of it again could disrupt traffic flow. They removed the planter this year. That, and the plaza isn't even half the size of any of the international streets, so I imagine we'll see the center of it left empty as long as the park continues to operate :( I would love to see more water features around the park as a whole though, along the lines of a few small waterfalls and not necessarily fountains.
By redrunner97
Maybe it won't be so "grand", but I feel like they'll definitely do something in the center of that plaza whenever they do renovate that area. Maybe just a smaller fountain or planer of some kind, but something. I don't really think congestion would be much of a problem if they re-do the area right and make sure the path around it is preserved and open enough.

We're definitely in agreement about smaller water features being added throughout the park though. The little things often stretch the farthest in making nice areas even nicer.
By FamousAmos
Do keep in mind that the planter that was in the center last season was removed for traffic flow purposes.