General Carowinds discussion
By swampfox43
One thing I wish CF would do, would be to improve the loading process on Rip Roarin' Rapids. The line is always long on weekends and moves very, very slow.

Simple solution. Rebuild the loading platform to accomodate the turntable loading process like the one pictured below. Most parks have these, but Carowinds, being one of the early birds in raft rides, does not. It certainly can be done, no question about that.

Would CF put money into doing something like this? It would pay off in terms of capacity.
Attachments
lagoonrattlesnake.jpeg
lagoonrattlesnake.jpeg (86 KiB) Viewed 7239 times
By Jay
Technically, this should be in that awful wishlist thread... but it's well thought out, described, detailed and has a picture! It can stay!!! :mrgreen:

It's a fantastic idea, where would it go though? And lets not kid ourselves CF is way too cheap to do something like this. They should rebuild the tunnel too.
In all honesty, how many parks from any chain really do changes like this on older rides? The only time an old ride is changed is when something major is modified to the ride that attracts more people to it. For example Sheikra getting the floorless trains after two years of operation. Yes it would be nice to have the station modified for capacity, but in my opinion unless you can get it done for a reasonable price, spend the money on a new attraction.
By arby
Not only would that increase capacity, it would make the ride more ADA accessible. We don't ride it much because it's such a major pain to get my son off the ride. By the time he walks up all the stairs from the exit they've off loaded at least half a dozen boats.
By RollerBee
Attract more people to an old, a simple paint job and name changed made Gauntlet a ride in 2003 and the gueat swore it was brand new. The way they load rapids is confusing and slow, rebuild the station, the tunnel, make general improvements to ride and add water guns to the rafts to make it interactive.
Well actually after thinking about it, the one way I do see them making the capacity improvement is if Cedar Fair found a way to re-theme the ride. Then I could see them spending the money on improving the loading station as well.
I can see it kind of in this type of area, Not my best photoshop but i can see this as the best scenario..
rrrturn copy.jpg
rrrturn copy.jpg (441.66 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
The only location I see it working at is the last bend. That was where the tunnel was, right?
By swampfox43
JamminJ wrote:Technically, this should be in that awful wishlist thread... but it's well thought out, described, detailed and has a picture! It can stay!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks JamminJ. I considered putting it in the "awful" wishlist thread :lol: .....but decided to chance it as a new topic.

Picklesthedrummer wrote:The only location I see it working at is the last bend. That was where the tunnel was, right?

Fantastic idea pickles!! Then, the long straightaway following that could be the "new" tunnel. Have it at the beginning instead of the end. Add some effects.

Glad to see ya'll are on board with me on this. I really do not think this is out of the realm of possibilites for CF to consider. It's obviously still a very popular ride, and I believe it was the 2nd one built in the USA (after Astroworld's) so it could be noted as the "1st rapids ride built in the USA that is currently operating"....
swampfox43 wrote: Add some effects.

If they put the tunnel back, they could fill the whole thing with fog. I can't imagine that costing too much and it would be a really cool way to start the ride. It could be themed to the riders rafting into a mysterious cave. Or better yet, have the cave take you into the world of Dinosaurs Alive. Only problem with that being they would make the ride an up-charge attraction.
By jeffdavis
It seems like RRR is one of the slowest-loading/unloading rides in the park. Having ridden the rapids ride at Cedar Fair and experiencing the turn-table loading/unloading I have to say I'd be excited if Carowinds did that. But, the cost of that reconfiguration would be astronomical and prohibitive I would assume unless the whole ride is getting a refurbishing/retheming. I feel like until such change, I'd like to see the current loading/unloading process get some attention. There has got to be a more efficient way of doing it. The line should move quicker than it does. The last two times we were going to ride it we turned around because the line was moving so slowly. I haven't even ridden it this season, just once last season.
By RollerBee
Anyone notice the large circular pond close to the end of the ride but not the one where the tunnel used to be? The one that it almost looks like to me that a turntable may have planned for during construction. Having a lift midcourse would be odd however with a themed story for a tunnel over the lift, I think it could be enough of a distraction from the lift.
By tylerSC
I remember the rapids ride was better way back when they first built it, but for some reason they toned it down and reduced the flow of the waves in the water. I'd rather them replace it with a bigger, better flume ride that has hills and curves, and is more of a water rollercoaster. To me, the rapids ride is rather boring, and I just spend my time on the rollercoasters.