General Carowinds discussion
I don't think we need anything "big" when you enter the park. I could see them adding a fountain similar to KD or KI but I don't really think it would fit as well without an Eiffel tower.... unless they took out the bridge, or made it flat and had the fountain extending there, well depending on what kind of work they will do to the entrance as far as moving it or making it bigger etc... Carowinds just needs some re-themeing and upgrades in many areas, and that's what they plan to do and it should be fantastic! I know whatever they have planned will be great and is what the park needs.
^ yea I could see that. I have only been to KI, KD, and Cedar Point... but out of those I know Carowinds is at the very bottom. KD and KI and basically the same and of course CP's new entry with Gatekeeper is jus amazing. I am hoping that with the addition of all these improvements, we see newER technology as far as scanning your own SP to get through the turnstiles etc. CP did this and of course Dollywood (I know not a CF park) has it... Maybe they will get rid of security as well, no other park has it... kinda strange all the other parks dont have it.. I think CP checked bags if i remember right, but no metal detection....
Jonathan wrote:As much as LemondsHead's posts make me want to smash my head through my monitor, I will say that Carowinds has one of the worst entrance areas of any of the Cedar Fair parks.

It used to better, but Paramount art deco-ed it.
Wish I had been at the park when there was a train.... By the time I started going to the park, the monorail was being removed and I think the Hurler was new? Or maybe it was Vortex and then Hurler, I dont know hahahahah. Hurler was in 94 right?

What would be great is if they could make the main entrance over afterburn. I used to love going in that gate just to walk over the coaster. Now usually when I am there that gate is closed, I know its mainly used on busier days. I know it was opened on Memorial day weekend because I drove over there and it was SLAMMED. I just dont see that happening of course because the other is the main plaza and all of that. Maybe one day we will have a beautiful B&M flying over our entrance....
I could see Carowinds extending the main entrance outward and creating an expansive entrance plaza with new shops and a fountain. But that may involve getting rid of the plantation house. By extending the entire front of the park outward, that will open up space for new attractions by taking over what use to be parking. The entrance road and parking booths could be shifted out ward to accommodate such a move. Maybe it's even time for a parking deck, which would conserve land and keep folk closer to the main entrance. You guys are right, Carowind's entrance plaza is very underwhelming. Carowinds was designed to replicate the Magic Kingdom, but they failed to put in Main Street.
I really have to agree with Jarsh here. I'm fairly sure that the bulk of this $50 million will be going towards parking, general utility upgrades, redesigning(or completely relocating) the north and south gates, ect. I also look to see a decent water park expansion. The amount left over after all of this will determine what kind of coaster, flats, or any other types of rides that we get. You have to remember, in order for us to get any massive coasters, Carowinds has to be positive that they can accommodate the influx of people that are sure to flood the park.
I just had a great idea. If Carowinds decides to move the North gate once the park expands, the plantation house should not be demolished for historical reasons. Instead, maybe it could be converted to a history of Carowinds museum. Does anybody know if the upper floor is accessible, or are those windows fake?
Jwrickner wrote:I just had a great idea. If Carowinds decides to move the North gate once the park expands, the plantation house should not be demolished for historical reasons. Instead, maybe it could be converted to a history of Carowinds museum. Does anybody know if the upper floor is accessible, or are those windows fake?

As far as I know, they're accessible. The Caretaker of SCarowinds used to give his opening speech on the balcony of the house.
Sometime in Sept. they are supposed to announce more details about future plans and new rides. I think they already have some of the rides planned, as the CEO said he could not wait to ride the new rides. And he emphasized record breaking. So it sounds like he already knows what is planned. And I do hope for a big new coaster, as well as flat rides. And they seem to be wanting an excitement factor at the front entrance area. So maybe a big new coaster in that area, similar to Gatekeeper at the front of Cedar Point. I think they usually seem to have a contract with B&M for 3 coasters. So Gatekeeper at CP, then Banshee at KI, so maybe Carowinds next.
Jwrickner wrote:Does anybody know if the upper floor is accessible, or are those windows fake?

The old timers will remember the first ever Carolina Coaster Classic in 2002, they had a history presentation on the top floor of the plantation house. Here's a pic from that day. I'm sure it looks significantly different now though. Eleven years is a long time.

Photo credit goes to our fearless webmaster, Jonathan.