General Carowinds discussion
http://cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/ ... ory_id=388

SANDUSKY, Ohio, Aug. 26, 2013 -- Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment, today announced a multi-year expansion project for its Carowinds amusement park located in Charlotte, North Carolina.

"The continued growth in the Charlotte market presents a unique opportunity for our Carowinds amusement park, which we believe is ready for record-breaking attractions," said Richard Zimmerman, Cedar Fair's Chief Operating Officer. "Over the next three years we intend to make several significant investments in both the amusement and water park areas, including new rides and attractions, new and upgraded food locations, and general infrastructure improvements. We plan to expand the capacity of Carowinds in all areas to appropriately serve its market and provide our guests with a 'Best Day of Summer' experience each and every time they visit our park."

The Company, which recently opened a satellite corporate office in Charlotte, expects the expanded park will draw additional tourists to the already popular Charlotte market. It will invest more than $50 million over the next three years and expects to hire an additional 15 full-time and approximately 270 seasonal jobs to support these new investments. As with many of its capital investments across the country, the Company will look to hire local companies to help with the design and construction of this multi-year expansion.

2014 - $10 million (water slides and general park improvements)
2015 - ?
2016 - ?
This goes right along with what Zimmerman said during his brief speech at the European Coaster Club picnic lunch back in 2010 when the group visited Carowinds (I was there as a member of ECC). He said he believes "Carowinds could be the Cedar Point of the south", something along those lines and to expect "record breaking rides and attractions".

It's great to finally get this on paper. Can't wait to see what ole Carowinds has in store for us! :P
Great news! They said they plan to expand the water park and the actual park with new rides and new improvements to the restaurants etc. I am thinking they will be adding some flat rides in the next couple years and a few new waterslides? What do you guys think? I think it all starts with a new road to the park and new parking lots so they can expand properly and still have the area needed for parking etc. Should be a lot of improvements for next year! I just want to see the park improve and that doesnt necessarily require a new coaster at all. $50 million is a lot, but a coaster would be half of that, so I dont know if we will be seeing a BIG coaster over the next 3 years.... Doesnt bother me. Update the themeing! Get new parking lots and roads that are all messed up and PAINT AFTERBURN!!! When I was riding intimidator I realized how faded the paint has already became as well, so give it a new coat of paint to :lol:
chknwing wrote:the downside to this is, depending on whats being done, carowinds could be under constant construction for 3 years straight which could in fact be some what irritating for those going to the park on a regular basis.

I'll manage.

swampfox43 wrote:This goes right along with what Zimmerman said during his brief speech at the European Coaster Club picnic lunch back in 2010 when the group visited Carowinds (I was there as a member of ECC). He said he believes "Carowinds could be the Cedar Point of the south", something along those lines and to expect "record breaking rides and attractions".

It's great to finally get this on paper. Can't wait to see what ole Carowinds has in store for us! :P

This is the first thing I thought of! This is huge. Relocating parking, new flats and new waterslides are now all but guaranteed. In my opinion, what kind of coaster we get on top of that seems to be the only question.