General Carowinds discussion
I think the money will go towards the following, in the next three years:

2016: Boomerang Bay and Planet Snoopy expansions.
2017: Wonder Mountain style Dark Ride (and maybe some flats?).

You know, assuming that fits the budget.

Carowinds is DESPERATE for some flat rides. Its all coasters, slides, and kiddie rides, imo.
shane235 wrote:
About $15 - $18 million for a wing coaster.

I don't know what kind of Wing Coaster you'll get with that....Wild Eagle was $20 mil, and Gatekeeper was $25 mil. I honestly doubt they will build one at Carowinds. It really doesn't need one with Dollywood so close. The only other B&M coaster the park is lacking and could use is a multi-looper (sitdown or floorless).

While wing coasters provide an ok ride, they really aren't extraordinary. They are pretty much like a less intense floorless coaster, sitting on the outside of the tracks. I'd prefer something like Kraken if they build another B&M. Perhaps when Cyclone is retired I could see one going there somehow.

Realistically I think the park will build a new wooden coaster and launch coaster....I guess a launched wing would make it different enough....lol
cwgator wrote:
shane235 wrote:
About $15 - $18 million for a wing coaster.

I don't know what kind of Wing Coaster you'll get with that....Wild Eagle was $20 mil, and Gatekeeper was $25 mil. I honestly doubt they will build one at Carowinds. It really doesn't need one with Dollywood so close. The only other B&M coaster the park is lacking and could use is a multi-looper (sitdown or floorless).

While wing coasters provide an ok ride, they really aren't extraordinary. They are pretty much like a less intense floorless coaster, sitting on the outside of the tracks. I'd prefer something like Kraken if they build another B&M. Perhaps when Cyclone is retired I could see one going there somehow.

Realistically I think the park will build a new wooden coaster and launch coaster....I guess a launched wing would make it different enough....lol

As someone who has gone to Cedar Point a couple of times, Gatekeeper is just extremely OK. If it's not a walk on I would NEVER wait for it, just not that thrilling. Feels different, but its LOW and SLOW. Unless Carowinds got one of those flying 4D coasters I hope we would get something like a launch coaster WAY before a flyer. VERY EXCITED about Fury, can hardly imagine a ride bigger than I305 and MF right at Carowinds. Def getting season passes for my family next yr
Jonathan wrote:So, based on the things I've seen in the media and heard from the event this morning, it sounds like year one of the three year plan is actually 2015, not 2014.

I was thinking the same thing at the announcement. Unless they are including 2014 as the actual start due to the Toll Booths. In any case we know what is in store for 2015 and for the most part we are pretty sure what section is getting Love for 2016, and much needed IMO, unless they are getting a little splashy with the games?

Now for 2017? Who knows? Planet Snoopy? Bye-Bye Dinos? Flat package?

I seriously see no new coasters for about 5 years, but who knows right?
TheCoasterMan1 wrote:I thought this was a good article. The front gate renovation definitely doesn't cost as much as some of you may think it does!
http://web.gastongazette.com/interactiv ... specialty/

This is a very interesting revelation.

$30 Million - Fury 325
$1 Million - Station/Gate Construction
$2 Million - Surfer's Swell / Pipeline Peak

That's only $33 Million. Factor in any hidden costs as well as the expense of adding Harmony Hall, moving Ripcord, upgrading Outer Hanks into Chickies and Petes, painting Afterburn and Ricochet, plus any other potential costs that may have been included (such as updates for Scarowinds) and I would guess they have spent roughly $35,000,000 so far. That leaves around $15 Million unaccounted for. And that's assuming 2014 is the first year of the expansion, not 2015. If that's not the case then there could easily be $20 Million left over for use in 2016 and 2017!

What can we expect for the future? I think the Rougarou treatment on Vortex is possible considering the comments made in the Conference Call, so around $2 Million could go towards that project. A rumored Tritoch 4D Dark Ride could cost anywhere from $8-$10 Million (from what I gather). And as we all know, there have been rumblings/rumors of a Slingshot, Boomerang Bay expansion, and everything else from a Log Flume to a revamped Rip Roarin' Rapids! So, in short, there's no telling what the next phase of attractions will be until they tell us... But no matter what it is, Carowinds has already benefitted greatly from Cedar Fair's spending and will continue to grow over the next few years! :D
Jonathan wrote:You are misunderstanding the article. This particular steel company in Belmont (woo my hometown) has a contract worth around $1 million just to provide steel for the project. The cost of the whole project is obviously far more.

I didn't factor in the actual cost of the construction. :oops:

Truth be told I latched onto the $1M and got that famous "lightheaded enthusiast" feeling. haha.
Oh well.. color me a dumbass. lol :wave:
Yeah, the steel company is only providing building supports for the station and front gate. Construction and all of the other building materials, installations, etc., I'm sure the new front will be at least in par with Harmony Hall. Didn't I read it was around $7million?
$7 million might be right but dang... that sounds awfully high.

I work in the metal building industry and we've sold 100,000 square foot buildings that don't get close to the $1 million mark. Maybe the rest of the stuff inside was high end materials, but they'd have to be some insanely high end materials to get the price up to $7 million.
Jarsh wrote:$7 million might be right but dang... that sounds awfully high.

I work in the metal building industry and we've sold 100,000 square foot buildings that don't get close to the $1 million mark. Maybe the rest of the stuff inside was high end materials, but they'd have to be some insanely high end materials to get the price up to $7 million.

Or... maybe part of that $7 million will go towards Vorgarou? Or the Huss Frisbee ride we have always wanted? :eh: :shifty:
Now that I went back and re-read your post Clint, were you referring to Harmony Hall as being $7 million or to the price of the entrance? That sounds like it might be closer to the right price for the entrance redo than Harmony Hall.
I think I read that the new entrance was around $7million. I could be wrong, I think it was in one if the articles but don't remember which one.

I also seem to remember Harmony Hall being pegged at $4-5 million total but again, I don't remember what article. Seems like it was saying that HH and the slides this year and moving the Skytower was around $7million total.
I also saw somewhere the $7 million figure for HH/Skycoaster/slides but I also can't find it. :?

Just from watching the video on camera2 and all the heavy equipment moving around, it seems like the initial work they are doing right now with moving dirt and all the preparatory work is at least $1 mil of the cost. Diesel is expensive and they're using a lot of it each day.