General Carowinds discussion
Yea within that budget over 3 years, it doesnt seem it would be something as big as intimidator.... We really need a nice launch coaster or some kind of 90* drop coaster.... I would prefer a launch though... Cant wait to see what they have in store. I guess since they didnt say anything about a resort, maybe that is not happening? Or maybe it will way in the future.... This is very exciting new and it was unexpected, I didnt know they would be doing any announcements today :D Tomorrow is CP's announcment and later this week is Six Flags' so more to look forward to I guess.
So I write this long *** post, press submit only to be told to log in...great.

Well, I'm not gonna rewrite it all over again so here is the condensed version...

My home parks, universal studios and islands of adventure have both been under constant construction for say the last three years and it hasn't effected them at all. The good thing is carowinds has an off season so most construction will go on during that time.

I hope the park invest in air conditioning inspired attractions. Be it a dark ride, indoor show, restaurant...even a history museum! I do see a good bit going to expand the water and hopefully double the size. I think they will bring in more people with that happening than some record breaking coaster. Which brings me to this point...I hope they don't try to do a record breaking coaster...records don't hold any weight anymore. Back in the day, it took years for a record to be broken. Now days, you can lose your record the same season it opens!

Also, to compliment the campground how about a southern mansion inspired onsite resort? Would be great to have it near the entrance to compliment the current entrance...if it still there.
I hope record breaking means a big Giga coaster, but we shall see. And definitely more flat rides as well. But interesting this press conference was somewhat of a surprise announcement, not really publicized like Kings Island. WSOC Channel 9 seemed to break the story locally, as it was not reported on the other stations at first. But it explains the stakes and painted dots that showed up at the park this summer. Redesign the entrances and parking lots first, then announce the new rides later. The contractor was correct who stated on this forum that Carowinds would not be the same. Definitely a gamechanger. Infrastructure next year; probably no new rides until 2015. But again, we shall see.
^ I hope we do NOT get a giga, unless B&M does another. I dont see anything coming that is taller than Intimidator. You got to look at the budget and understand if Intimidator was like $25 million... I dont think they would spend half the budget on a coaster... But that just me... If we get a coaster, I think it would be a family coaster, like dollywood, or maybe a thrilling launch... I WISH... I think with what they announced its going to be more focused on improvements etc. and the water park expansion, I do agree, would bring in A LOT of people because its sooooo hot in the summer. I hate going to Carowinds when its hot with no waterpark. We could use another water ride outside of the waterpark as well, maybe one of those intamin things with the elevator lift.... hahahaha... I just dont see a coaster taller than intimidator coming... not anytime in the next 3 years for sure. I think intimidator is great as being the tallest and best ride in the park. I also agree we could use a good dark ride or a re-vamp of the boo hill ride or something...indoors. I guess we will just have to see what they start with next year, likely a new entry plaza... I wonder if with this expansion they will do away with the other entrance by afterburn or move it somewhere else.... Not sure exactly where the expansion will go, I would think the waterpark will go out into the parking lot beside thunder road and then they will turn the parking lot in front of intimidator into the park as well, not sure though. Cant wait to see what is in store.
coasterbruh wrote:So I write this long *** post, press submit only to be told to log in...great.

Well, I'm not gonna rewrite it all over again so here is the condensed version...

My home parks, universal studios and islands of adventure have both been under constant construction for say the last three years and it hasn't effected them at all. The good thing is carowinds has an off season so most construction will go on during that time.

I hope the park invest in air conditioning inspired attractions. Be it a dark ride, indoor show, restaurant...even a history museum! I do see a good bit going to expand the water and hopefully double the size. I think they will bring in more people with that happening than some record breaking coaster. Which brings me to this point...I hope they don't try to do a record breaking coaster...records don't hold any weight anymore. Back in the day, it took years for a record to be broken. Now days, you can lose your record the same season it opens!

Also, to compliment the campground how about a southern mansion inspired onsite resort? Would be great to have it near the entrance to compliment the current entrance...if it still there.

Oh Skytower, the world is going to end. I agree with everything in that qoute. Move South Gate, expand the waterpark and have South Gate as part of the waterpark. Put new parking lot trams in service and have a Carowinds gate (North gate) and Soak City gate (south gate)
Last edited by RollerBee on August 26th, 2013, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It said "next year" on the news.... More details over the next few days to be released...

http://www.wsoctv.com/videos/news/cedar ... nds/v9z6G/
From the Charlotte Observer, "Since buying Carowinds in 2006, Cedar Fair has invested more than $45 million in the park, which is now 40 years old."

so 45 million in 7 years to get from there to here, think what was done with that, and maybe have a little of an idea of what 50 mil in 3 years means.

I've got to assume totally new entrances. New parking. One $18-25 million ride. The rest spread out over some smaller rides.

That big ride will probably come in year three of this project, and they probably plan for the increase in revenue from this to spur future investment in the park.
^not really feasible, you would be basically doubling the size of the park. and it may look small to you on a map, but that land they purchased is a very long walk from carowinds. I doubt they expand into that area. I would bet the water park expands alongside thunder road, park expansion into the southgate parking lot, and the grass field by the main gate becomes the new parking lot.
Specific changes to the park are still being worked out, Zimmerman said. The company will study traffic, infrastructure and parking, among other things.

Parking might be shifted, he said, but the entrance will stay where it is and will get an upgrade.

“We’ve got some exciting things in terms of what you’re going to see when you arrive at the park,” Zimmerman said. “We’re really working on the arrival experience for our guests.”
My 100%, no sources involved, educated guess...

Huge waterpark expansion, Quite a few flats (including a dark ride) and a Top 10 wooden coaster (afterall, they're fairly cheap compared to steel).
As for park improvements, they may or may not include moving the parking, a new entrance, tearing down the Paladium and an onsite resort.
Total cost: $50 million
Well, part of the 50 million is going toward the campground. . .

The project is being done by Hendrick Construction. The same group that was in charge of the Cobra, and the Grove.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 12.11.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 12.11.19 AM.png (336.49 KiB) Viewed 5537 times