General Carowinds discussion
I'm still extremely skeptical of the parking lot being completely moved. In addition to the enormous and unnecessary expense of doing that, there would then be an absolutely massive piece of land wrapping around the park being used for nothing, and while I do believe it is possible the park might expand its borders a bit in the future, I don't think it is really going to grow that much in terms of area. Just because a park has the room to grow in area does not mean that it will.

In this documentary about Gatekeeper John Hildebrandt points out that removing rides isn't just about space constraints, but that every ride the park has comes with an operational and maintenance cost. Everyone always assumes Cedar Point has a major problem with land constraints, but the park may not have any interest in expanding out from its current layout even if there were no constraints. With that in mind, I suspect Carowinds will probably grow more from within using the existing footprint and the replacement of older rides, along with a bit of expansion here and there into the current parking lot, given that some of it is underutilized.

It would not surprise me if the grassy area in front of the main entrance were paved over for a parking lot (yay, more green space lost) so that the parking wraps around the entrance more and puts people closer to the gate, but I think that would be the extent of the changes. The newly acquired land is too remote I think. I don't really see what it would be used for other than some sort of hotel complex.

Pure speculation, though. We'll probably find out soon enough.
I couldnt disagree more. And I doubt a park would use the word expansion if its plans were to build within the current footprint. and its already been said that there would be a shift in the parking lot. how big has yet to be seen. The parkinglot needs to be repaved anyways. its not going to matter much if its over old pavement or dirt.
The park has used the word expansion in press releases for a lot of its new additions in the past. Expansion can be an expansion of what the park has to offer, not just a physical boundary expansion. Note I am not saying I don't think the park will expand its borders at all, just that it is likely to be small increments and any grand visions of a doubling in size to cover the existing parking lot and become some super massive mega park are way over the top.

Another thing that I was pondering: The press release said there would be 15 new full-time jobs as a result of this spending. To me that has to be a sign of a hotel/resort. New rides, shops, expanded parking, etc. create seasonal jobs, not full-time ones. I can't think of anything else that would create so many permanent positions. And 270 new seasonal positions? A new ride requires what, maybe 8 new employees at most?
you would need more than 15 full time jobs for a hotel/resort. a Hotel isnt out of the question though because cedar fair doesnt have to pay for the hotel or the employees it self, just lure a chain to build here by offering it the property. I'm think the full time jobs may be for additional maintenance that work year round as well as job opportunities for the office they just opened here.
LemondsHead wrote:I disagree jonathon I think they will actually expand it said they will be the 4th largest cedar fair park after this so we will be compeeting with the big parks now guys I'm so excited and also I think they should change the sign to something really big and flashy

Well you have certainly convinced me with your well-reasoned and well-structured contribution.

you would need more than 15 full time jobs for a hotel/resort. a Hotel isnt out of the question though because cedar fair doesnt have to pay for the hotel or the employees it self, just lure a chain to build here by offering it the property. I'm think the full time jobs may be for additional maintenance that work year round as well as job opportunities for the office they just opened here.

Not necessarily. Cedar Fair currently owns and operates four hotels at Cedar Point and one at Knott's Berry Farm. I'm not sure 15 full-time jobs is unreasonable for a hotel, but I'm researching that more. All I can find so far is that the "Hotel at Old Town" in Wichita, Kansas (115 rooms) has 48 full and part-time employees and the "Seaside Hotel" in Cornwall, England (108 rooms) has 30 full-time and 40 part-time. I imagine a park-based hotel would rely more heavily on seasonal staff. Of course I could be way off base here and folks at the park reading this may be having a laugh.

This is definitely the most interesting thing we've had to speculate about in years.
chknwing wrote:btw for those clamoring for an intamin coaster, go ask Kings Dominion how much they are enjoying I305 right now.

:lol: I do NOT want any intamin coasters in our park, not now, not in the next 3 years and it wouldn't bother me if ever. I don't think a good coaster has to be a giga coaster at all. I do think we could use a launch coaster, as i have stated before, just don't want it to be an intamin cable launch..

I am wondering where the boundaries would expand etc as everyone is saying, they do have the markers all the way out the exit road from the SP lot... It was a good find about Hendricks construction and the campground, I wonder what the plan is there with that? Very interesting...
Attachments
5635_573381992699043_29197525_n.jpg
5635_573381992699043_29197525_n.jpg (102.33 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
Jonathan wrote:This is definitely the most interesting thing we've had to speculate about in years.

Agreed. Knowing the Dollywood and SFOG plan and a few things for Carowinds before they are announced tends to ruin the fun I use to have guessing and speculating, lol.