General Carowinds discussion
What's Phase #3 of Expansion?

I think the next logical step in expanding Carowinds is to expand Planet Snoopy. Carowinds hasn't really had any family rides added dry-side wise in a decade (I'm not counting Windseeker because while it's family friendly, the height restriction is 52"). In fact, the park has been taking out family rides lately. The flume, the antique cars and Gr8 Sk8 are all long gone. Shortline RR has been neutered. I think the park needs to turn their attention back to this section. I don't see Dinos lasting much longer, so that's the obvious spot to expand in. As for what rides I'd like to see, hopefully more family rides that, like Ouimet said, have parents riding them but not solely because of their children. Nothing exceeding 44". And like I mentioned on another thread, it would be neat if they could extend Shortline to loop around Planet Snoopy:
There's enough space for rides in their that you could make a full day out of Planet Snoopy. And for out-of-towners, you could spend one day in Planet Snoopy and one in the water park. Of course, 2017 could just be an off year where they just do general infrastructure work and convert Vortex, but anything is possible! :thumbup:
I honestly can say that I wouldn't expect an "off year". If Cedar Fair is trying to grow this park into a top-tier park I wouldn't expect the next "off" year to be after the next major coaster comes, so expect the next "off" year to be 2021. For the next couple of years Carowinds is probably going to receive sizable investments.
TheCoasterMan1 wrote:I honestly can say that I wouldn't expect an "off year". If Cedar Fair is trying to grow this park into a top-tier park I wouldn't expect the next "off" year to be after the next major coaster comes, so expect the next "off" year to be 2021. For the next couple of years Carowinds is probably going to receive sizable investments.

That would be incredible I hope you're right.
Here's my grand Planet Snoopy idea.

1) Relocate, rename, re-theme the flyers to a renovated Count Fair.

2) Add a new path from the Dead End area behind Woodstock Express, connecting to the are where the flyers once sat.

3) Relocate, rename, re-theme peanuts pirates to a renovated County Fair.

4) Expand Planet Snoopy with lots of new rides, themeing, and trees into the area where Dino's is currently at.

5) Lengthen the path of the kiddie train, making it longer, more scenic, and add more of those giant-size comic strips

6) Pick up the Golden Ticket Award for Best Kiddie Land, finally overthrowing King's Island..

(also add antique cars, but that doesn't HAVE to be in Planet Snoopy... 8) )
He forgot to move Balloons then.

Ain't never Larson Flyers at a County Fair, plus Cedar Fair added Flyers to Planet Snoop at KI and Worlds of Fun is following suit. The County Fair needs a UNIQUE ride not something that is common. A Sky Roller(fly?) like Canada's Wonderland would be one option as CW is the only one in North America I know of.
I agree with coasterman1. I don't think there will be an 'off year' for Carowinds in the immediate future. That is assuming that Fury 325 and the other changes in recent years brought in increased revenue and attendance, and the water park expansion does the same. I figure they have and there will be another noticeable spike for the park next year. They want to continue to capitalize on these investments and we all know (them included) that they are not to the level that they want, yet.

Once we see a better selection of family rides, flats, more water park rides, a new dark ride, another coaster (and probably a third-party managed hotel on the grounds), as well as the continued general face lift, I expect the spending to return to normal. That's probably 4-5 years out.

They always have something up their sleeve that we don't predict, though, so it's going to be a fun ride over the next few years.
coasterbruh wrote:So . . . you want to remove all the actual family friend attractions from planet snoopy?

Nope. They can install more family-friendly rides in the new Planet Snoopy, but personally, to me, those two aren't kiddie rides. And I know that not all rides in a kiddieland are actually exclusively for kids.. but it's just what I would like to see. No biggie. There's no real chance it's gonna happen anyway.

Moving one to the potential Dark Ride situation. Lots of people were really diggin' the whole Blackbeard's Revenge triotech ride theme... but what would you guys personally like it to be named/themed to, now that the title is being used in Carolina Harbor?