General Carowinds discussion
IF we did get an Intamin giga then I hope it is something similar to that, ala MF style instead of hitting a rounded wall at the bottom of the first drop, then getting your head jerked to the right and left going way too fast for the element and getting off the coaster hurting like another I can think of. Good job on it overall.
Some of you folk are a real had sell. First off, this coaster has not been announced and likely will not be for a year. It was leaked from city information. Unfortunately when you ask for public money, you will lose some control of the information. But still, the information means very little to the general public. Many don't even know how tall intimidator is. All that matters to them is 'tallest, fastest' or "taller and faster than Intimidator." Secondly, why would the company go with Intamin again? I305 has cost so much in terms of redesigning and down time. Even if i305 was flawless, logistically it makes little sense to install a similar ride at Carowinds since many folk in NC go to KD as well. Count a 300 ft. Wing coaster out, going through those inversions at that speed would cause some folk to black out. Forget wood, tried that at 200 ft and it did not workout too well. If Cedar Fair is going back into this well for Carowinds, apparently they hyper-giga combo has proven to be a successful formula. No way would they do this at Carowinds if Leviathan had little to no impact on Wonderland.
Someone mentioned KD will get a hyper, lets put that to rest right now, they won't. Why put in a like coaster that is shorter than 305. Like KI, Dominion needs an Invert. You can bet money KD will get a version of Banshee as their next coaster. Follow the trends. Amusement park companies don't waiver much from them. They latch onto one style and ride it out until something else comes along. CF, Six Flags, Busch, and Paramount all did it.

Come on folk what moves the media, and the general public more than records? I too would like a launch coaster, but that would be hard to market if they wish to jump attendance by the amount described. Word of mouth is what made Volcano so popular. When watching a video of it, it don't see like much, unless they show the fire coming out the top of the mountain right before the train comes out. Now that was kind of exciting to see.

With that said, if this thing is placed in the parking lot, can you imagine the view from I-77? That is going to be really special.
I can't even count the number of users who were positive that we wouldn't get a giga.

And no, it's NOT going to be a wing coaster (although a 300 ft wing coaster would be awesome) because back during the speculation of Banshee @ KI, it was brought up many times on KIC that Mr. Ouimet stated they had no new winged coasters planned for any of the parks.
As someone previously mentioned, when you get the government involved, unfortunately all those records are public so you can't hide a lot of the basic info. If they didn't ask Charlotte for a tax break, they could have kept this under wraps. From all that Char-meck spends on things, (like sports stadiums), it doesn't surprise me that CF asked and got some money from them.

From the reports I heard of Gatekeeper, I don't think B&M is ready to take a wing rider to 300' yet. I would suspect it will take them more implementations of it to get that high.

Thankfully, CF didn't release a lot of the details, so we still have plenty to talk about, as long as people get the crazy idea out of their head of a 300' tall wooden coaster. The bus parking lot seems like a likely spot for this coaster with it potentially going around the Paladium and maybe they can find a way to get it to go under the bridge in the entry plaza.
Edwardo wrote:Already done, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jyVhD2MZw

Wow hahaha. I was looking at google earth today to see where it migh be located? Do you guys think it would start either in what is now the bus lot or behind hurler? If they dont turn the field into a parking lot, I could see it going out there and turning around, think about driving under the coaster, that would be great.... Just so many options that it could be. At least we have something to talk about for a LONG time... :lol:
Yea I know what you mean Arby I don't know that B&M would take the wing to that level, since they only hit 300' one time anyway.... I wish I was better at NL had the game since the day it released and still cant do much in it :lol: Not to worried about that though. I agree with you that it will start in the bus lot, or possibly behind hurler unless they ripped it out and put it there I don't see that happening at all though. That would be cool if it wrapped around the paladium and went under the bridge some way ahhahaa. I am just wondering how the entrance will change, because that change could be for the coaster to fly over or whatever just like gatekeeper even if its not a wing coaster I could see it some how interacting with the entry plaza, or as I stated before, go over the entry road out in the field, given that they dont turn it into parking....
I'll be stunned if the ride isn't a B&M giga. Everything just aligns too perfectly given how things unfolded at Canada's Wonderland and knowing how much the folks at Carowinds love B&M (and Intamin's apparent fall from the good graces of Cedar Fair).

I'm not sure the wing coaster will ever be feasible at a height like that. Gatekeeper is only 170 feet and the train can shake pretty violently at the bottom of the first drop from the forces exerted on it, plus all of the elements are really drawn out due to the size of the trains. That would be absurd at 300 feet.

You never know, though! They could be working on a new train prototype. Leviathan uses the old style hyper trains.
Jonathan wrote:
How does Leviathan feel compared to B&M hypers? It doesn't seem like it would feel much different... maybe a little faster.

I thought it was different enough. The two complemented each other well as far as I was concerned and Behemoth and Leviathan are probably both in my top 5 steel. My major issue with Leviathan is that it is too short. The opening sequence of events though is probably the most masterfully engineered thing I've ever experienced on any roller coaster. The first drop is absolutely insane and then there's this weird low to the ground stretched out curving hill that you take at like 70 MPH while just floating out of your seat the entire way over. It's a lot more uncontrolled feeling than any other B&M hyper.

No one ever questions it when a park has multiple woodies. Hell Holiday World has built three woodies from essentially the same company.

I'm glad it's not a wing coaster. Wild Eagle was not very impressive.

Ditto. This is the most exciting news possible as far as I'm concerned.

Jonathan wrote:I'll be stunned if the ride isn't a B&M giga. Everything just aligns too perfectly given how things unfolded at Canada's Wonderland and knowing how much the folks at Carowinds love B&M (and Intamin's apparent fall from the good graces of Cedar Fair).

I'm not sure the wing coaster will ever be feasible at a height like that. Gatekeeper is only 170 feet and the train can shake pretty violently at the bottom of the first drop from the forces exerted on it, plus all of the elements are really drawn out due to the size of the trains. That would be absurd at 300 feet.

You never know, though! They could be working on a new train prototype. Leviathan uses the old style hyper trains.

I'm officially getting stoked.
Yeah it would be a little extreme for a wing coaster at that height, and likely a 280+ ft drop.... I think you are right about a B&M gigia. I would definately say it would be B&M vs. intamin. I am still hoping for a launch though, I know its not really likely, probably like 99% NOT likely but there is still that slight chance :lol: I don't think we would get any kind of intamin launch thought and I dont think Premier or anyone else would do a launch that tall.... I have no idea. I do hope for at least a prototype from B&M, a first of a kind in our park would be amazing! Maybe a giga with sky rush style seats? Wasn't B&M working on this style of seating at some point? Maybe I am just thinking of the wing style.... Its definitely something to try to guess what it will be, I am going to have a lot of fun with this.. I am already researching :lol:
THat is a great layout, I could definately see that. I was getting ready to draw something out myself but couldnt find my snip from google :lol: That would be great to go under the bridge!
Merthecat wrote:Here's my plans for the coaster:

The best part is, they wouldn't have to take anything out!

That is *really* small for a Giga.

EDIT: OK, it looks like it's just pretty small, rather than really small. It looks to be a bit shorter than Intimidator once I pulled up the Google Earth image of the whole park and compared the two.