General Carowinds discussion
By aoriole19
I hope you all had an awesome time! Something always comes up on the date (this year, it was the day I flew home from school) but I swear I will do this one day!
By Jeff
EVERYONE who can help with this should, it is such a relatable cause for those who love coasters.

FastPass access on Fury all day long, free lunch/tee shirt, and the ability to enter the park an hour early and stay after the park closed to ride Thunder Road (which Mike gave us pieces of when we got off Fury in the morning).

We were assured it was still safe to ride haha.
By MarkD
aoriole19 wrote:I hope you all had an awesome time! Something always comes up on the date (this year, it was the day I flew home from school) but I swear I will do this one day!

Same here. I was in Mississauga, Canada (Oakville) for 10 days working at Ford trying to get one of our systems up and running.

I guess I need to win the lottery to retire and then I can make all the events and stay in touch.
By arby
It was an awesome event with a great turnout this year, thanks to Fury 325. Our shirts gave us fast pass access to Fury 325, Intimidator, and Afterburn, although I didn't ride Intimidator. I got about 12 rides on Fury 325, a few early on before the park opened without getting off, and five rides on Afterburn.

It was topped off with 30 minutes of ERT on Thunder Road, which I rode 8 or 9 times straight without getting off. Except for the last two hills, and the top of the second hill, Thunder Road is running just about as good as ever. I still don't see how it has 'run its course' since it still runs better than about half of the wooden coasters that I have ridden. But I digress...

The most important thing is that those of us who participated at Carowinds raised nearly $15,000 alone for Give Kids the World Village, which will completely cover two kids with life threatening illnesses and their families for a week stay at the village in Orlando. What Carowinds gave back to us for raising the money was a great gesture on their part and unexpected. We didn't expect anything, but thank you, Carowinds, for your support of GKTW and the great hospitality (and the piece of Thunder Road!).

If you couldn't participate, consider volunteering at the village. They said they can always use volunteers, especially during the summer months. They always welcome help, but winters are better staffed due to the retired people who spend their summers in Florida.
By arby
I did a little research and it appears that there will not be Coasting For Kids this year. While Cedar Fair continues to support GKTW in other venues, it won't be through Coasting For Kids - at least not in the same format that it has been done for the past 7 years.