General Carowinds discussion
By KenB
1. Intimidator
2. Afterburn
3. Hurler (Paramount years)
4. Thunder Road
5. Carolina Cyclone
(White Lightnin' would probably go here if still around)
6. Ricochet
7. Goldrusher
8.Woodstock Express
9.Vortex
(Flying Super Saturator would go here)
10. Carolina Cobra
11. Hurler (CF years)
12.Nighthawk
13.Lucy's Crabby Cabbie
14. Flying Ace Aerial Chase

Hurler was going downhill before CF took over, so I'm not really blaming them (entirely) for the condition of that ride, but during their ownership of the park the coaster has been a shell of it's former self.

I'm a bit of a freak and actually like Vortex and Cobra for the most part. I haven't ridden Reptar since it was, well, Reptar, and have no real desire to ever set foot on it again. It has all the negatives of an SLC in the head banging department and none of the positives due to the kiddie layout. It's older, larger brother next door is something I routinely walk by even when there's no line. I rode it enough during the BORG years to last me a lifetime.
By Hiveminded
Mine probably goes:

1. Afterburn - Forces galore, the first-drop-loop-immelman-zero-g-roll-batwing-tunnel combo is fantastic. :P If only it went over that airtime hill twice as fast.
2. Intimidator - Not the most forceful B&M hyper its still really good.
3. Nighthawk - I personally love this ride and don't think its rough, even though it gets a lot of hate on here. If only the line was shorter :(
4. Carolina Cyclone - Helped solidify my addiction to coasters
5. Hurler - I got a ride with no trims in the rain opening day this year and it was insane, by far the best airtime in the park, great forces. Now, not so much. Stupid trims.
6. Vortex - Fun but WAYYYYYY to short by todays standards. Probably short by 1992 standards as well.
7. Thunder Road - Classic thats become not quite as exciting with the retracking.
8. Goldrusher - Fun-ish with a crazy helix at the end. I'm pretty sure it doesn't pass the tunnel test. Can anyone confirm?
9. Carolina Cobra - Probably the best boomerang out there, not that thats saying much.
10. Ricochet - I secretly love this ride. Don't tell anyone.
11. Woodstock Express - Fun but very 'bouncy' track, not thats a bad thing.
12. Flying Ace Aerial Chase - Shockingly headbanging for how small it is. Looks really cool though.
13. Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie - I've only ridden this once, three years ago in 2011. I remember it actually had pretty good airtime. That and the second to last hill before the station tried to break my back from going over it so fast. Would love to have one in my backyard. :lol:
Last edited by Hiveminded on September 5th, 2014, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Updated.

1.Fury325- This coaster completes the top 3 at Carowinds. Awesome drop, amazing speed, great laterals, and unexpected airtime!
2. Afterburn- On paper, it's not as fast as Intimidator, but in the backseat, this thing has blinding speed!
3. Intimidator- This is probably the wildest B&M Hyper I've been on (that's not saying much since the only other two that I've been on are Apollo's Chariot and Goliath at SFOG). There's some decent airtime, mainly going down the hills rather than up (excluding the 2nd hill, you kind of jump out of your seat). It's pretty good.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
:angel: Thunder Road- rest in peace, old friend. :cry:
5. Nighthawk- It's a bit rough, but it is fast and I do enjoy the "flying" feeling. Not as good as SFOG's S:UF though.
6. Carolina Cyclone- My first looping coaster. It's a good starter for kids making their transition from Planet Snoopy to the rest of the park.
7. Vortex- I think my last ride was in 2011, but I liked it. It's kinda forceful.
8. Hurler- It's okay, but it was too rough on my last ride in 2013. With the re-tracking, it may move up next year.
9.Ricochet- I like laterals.
10. Carolina Goldrusher- It's pretty good when you don't have to wait an hour for it.
11. Woodstock Express- Fun little woodie, my first coaster at Carowinds.
12. Lucy's Crabby Cabbie- meh
13. Flying Ace Aerial Chase- Eh, it's alright, but I don't enjoy headbanging.
14. Carolina Cobra- I loved this the first year it came out. Then in 2010, it felt a little rough. I skipped it until 2013. This is when I discovered that I don't like going upside-down backwards. I don't hate all of the ride, it has a great first drop and first half. The return trip is what makes the ride unpleasant.
Last edited by tarheel1231 on May 23rd, 2015, 4:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Sean978
Sorry if my ratings sound dumb, I've never been outside of Carowinds

1:Afterburn- I love that I've rode this at least 50 times, yet I still don't know where I'm going
2:Intimidator- Being on the inside of the turnaround is always awesome
3:Nighthawk- In my opinion the only bad thing about this ride is capacity
4:Cyclone-My first looping coaster, and a quick but fun experience
5:Cobra- I personally don't have a problem with this ride and actually enjoy it
6:Ricochet- This ride just makes me happy
7:Hurler- It can get bumpy sometimes but its fast and is decently fun.
8:Thunder Road- A classic and just altogether fun
9:Goldrusher- A nice ride but...Arrow
10:Crabbie Cabbie- Fun little ride for a tiny amount of space
11:Woodstock- Cool little woodie, although I've only rode it 2 times
12:Flying Ace- Not a bad ride, others just outdo it
13:Vortex-I prefer not to be neutered
By jdkiser74
I have not been to the park since 2010 ( work schedule ); so some of my beefs with a few of the rides may have changed.

1. Intimidator - Last row is the best because of the g force coming over the first hill.
2. Afterburn - only comes in second because it is too short. Not a bad seat on the ride.
3. Old Thunder Road - Great air time but since then just not the same ride, it feels like it is beating you to death.
4. Gold Rusher - Oldest coaster in the park but still a great ride.
5. Woodstock Express - Started my love for coasters will always have a special place in my heart.
6. Night Hawk - Good ride but ride is too short and lines are too long.
7. Carolina cobra - only gets 7th because I hate the others soo bad.
8. Flying ace arial chase - Feels like you are wearing a neck brace; a failed attempt at a mini Afterbrun.
9. Vortex - Toooo much head banging. If we had differnt type of trains it would be a better ride.
10. Hurler - sorry but worst ride in the park; first time on the ride the lap bar pushed my stomach into my brain at the bottom of the first hill; toooooo rough I like good smooth ride.

The others I have no opion on because I have never ridden them.

All in all the other rideswould be better with just a few minor changes.

My #1 next year will obviously change!!!!!
1. Top Gun- I've been coming to Carowinds since I was about 2, and this is the first coaster I ever remember seeing. Not only is it sentimental, but it is also a fast, and smooth ride. That zero-g roll is absolute bliss.
2. Indimidator- The first drop is great, and the ride is very soothing. Great to go on multiple times.
3. Nighthawk- The older you get, the scarier it gets. I have ridden this thing when I weighed about 80lbs, and you don't feel like you're falling out nearly as much. The lines are just too long though, and the ride usually isn't worth it.
4. Vortex- I rode this at Scarowinds this year, and even though it's small it is very fun. The overbanked turn across the station is great. I was very suprised how much I like it.
5. Carolina Cyclone- After the work done on the corkskrews this thing is a blast. It's such a classic ride, and usually isn't too long.
6. Thunder Road- This was my first "big" coaster. I cried my eyes out leaving the station, and came back with a life-long passion. The last couple of hills will still beat you around though.
7. Hurler- I love woodies, and the Hurler can still hang. The trim brake isn't a deadly sin, and Cedar Fair will take care of the ride.
8. Carolina Cobra- It's a good ride every now and then, despite how little I enjoy the wait times on shuttle coasters.
9. Goldrusher- It's always been a fun ride, and the woodsy venue is great at night.
10. The Scooby Doo Ghoster- Coaster- I have very fond memories of this ride, and what was once Animation Station. I havent ridden it in a good while, but I'm sure it's kept its charm
11. Ricochet- Terrible wait times, mediocre coaster
12. Hey Arnold's Taxi Chase- This is such a small ride, but I have such wonderful memories of riding it. The last hils will give you awful whiplash though.
13. Runaway Reptar- Interesting layout, but not worth your time at all.
By kirkgun
//completely redone

1. Fury
2. Afterburn
3. Intimidator
4. Ricochet
5/6. Hurler, Thunder Road (tie)
7. Nighthawk
8. Cyclone
9. Goldrusher
10. Cobra
11. Vortex

I haven't ridden the kiddie rides, but I think I might put Vortex below them if I had ridden them.
Last edited by kirkgun on April 3rd, 2015, 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By shane235
I decided to redo my top 10:
1. Intimidator
2. Afterburn
3. Nighthawk
4. Carolina Cobra
5. Vortex
6. Hurler
7. Thunder Road
8. Carolina Goldrusher
9. Ricochet
10. Carolina Cyclone
11. Woodstock Express
12. Lucy's Crabby Cabbie
13. Flying Ace Aireal Chase
I thought I'd bump this up to see where Fury ranks with most people (although that seems like a stupid question).

My Order/Ratings of Each Coaster -
1. Afterburn - 9/10
1. Fury 325 - I've only ridden this once and need another ride before I can definitively put it above or below Afterburn, so no rating yet, either.
3. Intimidator - 8.5/10
4. Nighthawk - 8/10
5. Vortex - 7/10
6. Thunder Road - 7/10
7. Hurler - 6.5/10
8. Carolina Goldrusher - 6.5/10
9. Carolina Cobra - 6.5/10
10. Ricochet - 6.5/10
11. Carolina Cyclone - 6/10
12. Woodstock Express - 5.5/10
13. Flying Ace Aerial Chase - 4/10
14. Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie - I'm not going to bother rating this one.
By Jstar
I think that Fury and Afterburn are head and shoulders above the others (World class rides). Intimidator is great, Thunder Road and Nighthawk are good, but everything else is average.

1. Fury 325- 9.75/10- An amazing ride. Definitely a world class coaster. Airtime is near-ejector, and the speed is awesome. The turnaround is one of the best elements on any ride I have been on. Also the most intense B&M non-invert I have ridden. Shattered my expectations.
2. Afterburn- 9.5/10- Crazy intensity, and perfect pacing. Feels much faster than 62 mph.
3. Intimidator- 8.75/10- A nice B&M hyper, but not quite on the same level as Diamondback or Behemoth.
4. Thunder Road- 7.5/10- Some decent airtime and speed. Last two airtime hills need to be retracked for sure.
5. Nighthawk- 7.25/10- A waste of space. Don't get me wrong when I say that, as it is one of the best Vekomas to date, but the shockingly long lines and large footprint can't help but make me think about what could potentially be there. A launched B&M perhaps?
6. Carolina Cobra- 7/10- Just another boomerang, however the vest restraints make the ride a bit better than the usual OTSR boomerangs.
7. Carolina Cyclone- 6.5/10- Not as bad as people make it out to be. Some slight headbanging, but the loops are pretty intense.
8. Hurler- 6/10- Would be a decent ride without that trim at the bottom of the first hill and with some retracking, but for now it's a pretty rough and uneventful ride. Has some slight floaty airtime.
9. Vortex- 5/10- I have never enjoyed standups. While this isn't the worst, it's certainly not very enjoyable.
Demolish this and build a nice GCI woodie.
10. Carolina Goldrusher- 5/10 A very classic ride. Not too rough either.
11. Ricochet- 4.5/10 A very average wild mouse (I like the paint job though).
12. Woodstock Express- 4/10- New paint job looks nice. Decent first drop in the back.
13. Flying Ace Aerial Chase- 2/100- A kids ride, yet the headbanging is terrible.
14. Lucy’s Crabbie Cabbie- 0.25/10- (I can't fairly judge this, as I am not the type that this ride is directed towards.)
Last edited by Jstar on April 3rd, 2015, 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Until I can make it on Fury next weekend:

1) Intimidatior
2) Thunder Road
3) After Burn
4) GoldRush
5) Carolina Cyclone
6) NightHawk
7) Hurler
8) Vortex
9) Scooby Doo......errr Starlight Express

Never Ridden Cobra but I have ridden a boomerang. It was an inverted boomerang but still. :)
Never Ridden Ricochet, Flying Ace, or Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie........
Time to update it...

1. FURY 325
2. Afterburn
3. Intimidator
4. Hurler
5. NightHawk
6. Thunder Road
7. Carolina Goldrusher
8. Carolina Cobra
9. Ricochet
10. Vortex
11. Carolina Cyclone