General Carowinds discussion
By Capler
swampfox43 wrote:
Capler wrote:I remember when Carowinds first passed the 1 million mark. I think that was in the late 80's or early 90's. At the time the biggest attractions in NC were Carowinds, Biltmore, Zoo, and the State Fair. It still amazes me how the State Fair can draw nearly a million people 10 days. I guess it is those $7 tickets.

Just a quick correction here. Carowinds passed the 1 million it's opening year 1973 with 1.2 million. 1974 saw 980,000, 1975 saw 913,000, etc.

Their next 1 million attendance was in 1982 with 1,192,000 in attendance. 1983 & 1984 both surpassed 1 million as well.

This info was gathered from newspaper articles (which I have) while doing research many moons ago.

Wow, now that's interesting. Thanks for the info. What was new in 1982 to take the park to that high number. Wasn't that the Frenzoid, Gauntlet, White Water Falls and Rip Roaring Rapids era? i recall a long drought between coasters back then.
By Capler
Jarsh wrote:
Capler wrote:The big difference is that Carowinds has no amusement park competition in it's region.

Define region... I would think that part of the reason Cedar Fair went with such a large addition this year was because they wanted to pull from outside the Carolinas. As an enthusiast, I would take that to mean that they wanted to pull from outside their normal market - i.e. a competitors market. I would easily think SFoG, Dollywood, Kings Dominion, & Busch Gardens Williamsburg would be the parks regional competition that they are trying to pull people from.

One thing for sure, Fury has a national presence. If you read other sites, folks who have never been here, or have only been here once are making plans to come for Fury. It's amazing. Unfortunately, Carowinds never had anything unique and distinctive, that made folk jump in a car and travel across the count to experience. Fury is that thing. Dominion has Volcano, Island has the Beast, and Cedar Point has an entire line up of must do attractions.
By shane235
Capler wrote:
swampfox43 wrote:
Capler wrote:I remember when Carowinds first passed the 1 million mark. I think that was in the late 80's or early 90's. At the time the biggest attractions in NC were Carowinds, Biltmore, Zoo, and the State Fair. It still amazes me how the State Fair can draw nearly a million people 10 days. I guess it is those $7 tickets.

Just a quick correction here. Carowinds passed the 1 million it's opening year 1973 with 1.2 million. 1974 saw 980,000, 1975 saw 913,000, etc.

Their next 1 million attendance was in 1982 with 1,192,000 in attendance. 1983 & 1984 both surpassed 1 million as well.

This info was gathered from newspaper articles (which I have) while doing research many moons ago.

Wow, now that's interesting. Thanks for the info. What was new in 1982 to take the park to that high number. Wasn't that the Frenzoid, Gauntlet, White Water Falls and Rip Roaring Rapids era? i recall a long drought between coasters back then.

1980: Carolina Cyclone
1981: Rip Roarin' Rapids
1982: Wavepool
By swampfox43
Capler wrote:
swampfox43 wrote:

Rip Roarin' Rapids was 1982
http://www.carowindsearlyyears.com/rapids82.html

Ocean Island Wave pool was also in 1982
http://www.carowindsearlyyears.com/ocean-island.html
By shane235
huh, that's odd... the Carowinds Timeline on the Carowinds website says '81 for Rip Roarin' Rapids. :crazy:
By shane235
Jonathan wrote:Protip: swampfox43 runs Carowinds The Early Years and is probably the definitive source on anything Carowinds history related outside of maybe Jerry Helms. :)

OH!!! :shock: I had no idea! :lol:
By TheCoasterMan1
Firechaser wrote:While we are discussing CEY,
Do you see what I see in one of the images?
Something that would never happen now!
http://www.carowindsearlyyears.com/83b.jpg

3 people in the front row seat of the Goldrusher. I am surprised that that wasn't against the law back then. The industry has definitely changed BIG Time.
By intaminboy
On big thunder mountain at disney world, they let two adults sit with their small child in the middle.
By CarowindsFan
TheCoasterMan1 wrote:3 people in the front row seat of the Goldrusher. I am surprised that that wasn't against the law back then. The industry has definitely changed BIG Time.

I remember riding Goldrusher with my parents and all 3 of us were in the same seat. They must have had different seats back then as it is all that 2 adults can do to fit now.
By Kineticmind
So I was going back and reading through this as I think about the 2017 with 4 new rides, repositioned restaurants, better traffic flow, the list simply goes on... Keep in mind folks, in the tourism industry, tourism isn't tied to just one category. Carowinds' number one, love it or hate it, competition is Concord Mills. That is THE number one tourism attraction in the Carolinas.

I've terribly interested to see if the Carowinds resort really comes to fruition. Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but they are working on some MAJOR plumbing behind the bus parking lot, that really makes me think something is in the works for plot of land they picked up recently out near the interstate.

Thoughts?
By Jonathan
Carowinds' number one, love it or hate it, competition is Concord Mills.

I really don't think that's true. I know Concord Mills loves to brand itself as the most visited "attraction" in the state but it's such a dubious claim to lump malls in with entertainment items. They can claim such high "visits" because someone walking in for five minutes to buy a shirt at Banana Republic counts as a visitor. Concord Mills and Carowinds are not alternatives for one another. Has any family ever debated whether they should take the kids to Carowinds for the day or to go shopping? Yes, Concord Mills does have entertainment elements, but they are very much secondary to shopping which is the primary draw. They compete with each other in that both want to get a piece of people's limited discretionary spending, but they aren't in any sort of direct competition.
By FamousAmos
That land up there would definitely be a great spot for a resort right on the state line...
It's far enough away from the park that it wouldn't be too much of an "eyesore" (I personally love architecture, so it wouldn't be an eyesore to me). Plus, there's enough land there to add a secondary entrance road branching off from the main road just for a resort parking lot. Then the exit traffic could be routed behind the bus parking lot and around catawba trace. Of course, that would also mean that the road back there would need some improvements. Either that, or the traffic can be directed to the main parking lot road behind the toll plaza and you can exit like every other car in the main parking lot.