General Carowinds discussion
By CarowindsFan
coasterbruh wrote:Aren't they magnetic? So they would have to turn off the magnetic field? Could it be that the magnetic field, when turned on, has a steady current to engage regardless the speed?

I believe the trim itself is a permanent magnet but it is engaged mechanically or hydraulically. This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hdc0WDTvE shows the trim brake resetting (loudly) once the coaster gets back to the brake run.
By Edwardo
Yes it is a magnet/copper fin system. It always hits. There’s an actuator that determines how close the brake gets to the fin to slow it down. If the train is already too slow it won’t do much. But there’s still some hott copper on magnet action. With no lube.
By gabed
I think I already know the answer to this question, but why not try. Should I hold off on going to the park tomorrow (being Good Friday and all) and just go Monday?
By gabed
Weekdays, even during school vacations generally aren’t bad. Everything’s not gonna be a walk on but by no means comparable to a Saturday. Maybe it’s like that down in Florida :lol: :wave:
By mdbraves
I went last year twice with my kids during spring break and it was packed. Lines on rides that do not normally have lines were packed. After lunch time you will wait on anything for a long time. I never see a line at drop tower and it was a 30 minute wait.
By Justin
Y'all, check your online credit transactions to see if Carowinds charged your credit card if you visited the park the past weekend. I was charged $9.71 on season pass night and I didn't buy anything. I renewed my pass, meal plan, and drink pass back in October when the renewal rates were low. The meal plan was $88 at renewal. I'm thinking since the meal plan is now $99 that when I used it, it triggered Carowinds to pull money out of my card that I renewed with to make up the difference? Just my theory. But yes, check your statements!! Im probably not the only one.
By Chris
Justin wrote:Y'all, check your online credit transactions to see if Carowinds charged your credit card if you visited the park the past weekend. I was charged $9.71 on season pass night and I didn't buy anything. I renewed my pass, meal plan, and drink pass back in October when the renewal rates were low. The meal plan was $88 at renewal. I'm thinking since the meal plan is now $99 that when I used it, it triggered Carowinds to pull money out of my card that I renewed with to make up the difference? Just my theory. But yes, check your statements!! Im probably not the only one.

Wait, I'm so confused. Carowinds charged you $9.71? The meal plan is now $11 more so you think $9.71 is to compensate for that? Why wouldn't they charge $11? After all, $9.71 is not $11.
By RollerBee
Justin wrote:Y'all, check your online credit transactions to see if Carowinds charged your credit card if you visited the park the past weekend. I was charged $9.71 on season pass night and I didn't buy anything. I renewed my pass, meal plan, and drink pass back in October when the renewal rates were low. The meal plan was $88 at renewal. I'm thinking since the meal plan is now $99 that when I used it, it triggered Carowinds to pull money out of my card that I renewed with to make up the difference? Just my theory. But yes, check your statements!! Im probably not the only one.

Did you do monthly payments or pay in full?
By Justin
Chris- that's what I thought in the back of my mind... the math didn't add up. I have absolutely no idea. I called up Carowinds and a lady told me to just dispute it. I did and immediately got my money back (Wells Fargo)

RollerBee- yep I paid in full back in October.
By RollerBee
Ok, I renewed my season pass and paid in full a few days before the park opened. No unexpected charges but thanks for the warning.