General Carowinds discussion
By coasterbruh
theintimidator wrote:And regarding all of the complaints, all of the blame cannot be put on the associates. Trust me, it's not completely the associates fault. You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

My thing is this, how are we as patrons making the jobs of the employees enjoyable? I personally don't go to parks and look for grocery store style service as that is apples to oranges. I don't think I have ever ran across a purposely rude employee at carowinds at least. It's generally quite the opposite. As annoying as it is at, especially at six flags parks, I enjoy the enthusiasm the ride ops have there and how they try to engage the guest. I see the same at Carowinds as well. How many times do we stop to thank the employees? How may times do we ask them how their day is going?
By chknwing
coasterbruh wrote:
theintimidator wrote:And regarding all of the complaints, all of the blame cannot be put on the associates. Trust me, it's not completely the associates fault. You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

My thing is this, how are we as patrons making the jobs of the employees enjoyable? I personally don't go to parks and look for grocery store style service as that is apples to oranges. I don't think I have ever ran across a purposely rude employee at carowinds at least. It's generally quite the opposite. As annoying as it is at, especially at six flags parks, I enjoy the enthusiasm the ride ops have there and how they try to engage the guest. I see the same at Carowinds as well. How many times do we stop to thank the employees? How may times do we ask them how their day is going?

Not to mention the sweltering heat they have to work in and have to deal with all types of people. I am sure there are days where it gets to them. My niece used to be a ride op. She said it was alot harder than it looks and that patrons can be very mean at times.
By tarheel1231
How many times do we stop to thank the employees? How may times do we ask them how their day is going?

This, so much. They aren't just drones built to make the coaster go fast. They're people dealing with crappy weather, crappy customers, and occasionally vomit. At some point you gotta stop blaming the employees for not being enthusiastic and ask if management is giving them a reason to be excited in the first place.
Last edited by tarheel1231 on August 13th, 2017, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cadi40
I worked outside in the Florida heat and humidity, Which is much worse then North Carolinas, And With working in Florida comes encountering many mean customers. I had to deal with it or else I was fired. The teens they hire are not enthusiastic but they have to settle until they become a year - round park.

EDIT - Also, SOME of it is the employees fault, but a lot of this blame falls on management, Managers know how many complaints they get and still do nothing about training the employees on Customer Service (Which could even be a 30 Minute Orientation on it.)But we also cannot just assume that the Employees are all miserable and we have to ask them how their day is going. They knew what they were signing up for when they got the job.
By coasterbruh
Why are you so sure that if they become a year-round park the employment pool will mysteriously change? I honestly want to know what the logic behind that is. I understand your work experience but I understand that it wasn't a theme park. Working at a park at a non office level, to me, takes a lot and I appreciate the folks that do. I wouldn't dare feel my work experience is standard and expect them to act as I did just because.
By cadi40
coasterbruh wrote:Why are you so sure that if they become a year-round park the employment pool will mysteriously change? I honestly want to know what the logic behind that is. I understand your work experience but I understand that it wasn't a theme park. Working at a park at a non office level, to me, takes a lot and I appreciate the folks that do. I wouldn't dare feel my work experience is standard and expect them to act as I did just because.

Because the people with Customer Service experience are not teenagers that want a Part-Time Job. They want a full time all year round job that is dependable, They don't want a part time job that they aren't granted to be working 4 months of the year.
By coasterbruh
When do you think Carowinds will reach that year-round mark? I'm curious because some of the most popular parks that get more attendance than Carowinds isn't year round and i'm almost positive its for a reason. Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the year-round parks in the US only in CA and FL?
By tarheel1231
^^ Again though, the demand for labor is so high. They can't change the employee pool just by going on a year-round schedule (if anything, they'd need more people).
By arby
I personally have not experienced poor customer service at Carowinds. Sure, I've seen disengaged employees but they did their jobs. Unfortunately that happens in all industries: there is always that 10%.

With that being said, companies that tend to having exceptional customer service embrace it from the top down. They promote a culture of customer service. In my opinion, all companies are customer service companies - it is up to them how they want to embrace it (or not.)
By cadi40
coasterbruh wrote:When do you think Carowinds will reach that year-round mark? I'm curious because some of the most popular parks that get more attendance than Carowinds isn't year round and i'm almost positive its for a reason. Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the year-round parks in the US only in CA and FL?

There are some year round parks out of FL and CA, If Carowinds were going to open another year round park if would be Carowinds or Californias Great America. Carowinds is in a good climate since all the other parks have a more harsh winter then here. Carowinds is one of the best parks in the Cedar Fair chain and is next to a major city. I am not saying it will happen, But if Cedar Fair does expand Carowinds season I won't be surprised.
By Edwardo
Il still at a loss As to the poor customer service. I haven't seen it, neither has the rest of the board, it seems.
By theintimidator
tarheel1231 wrote:
How many times do we stop to thank the employees? How may times do we ask them how their day is going?

This, so much. They aren't just drones built to make the coaster go fast. They're people dealing with crappy weather, crappy customers, and occasionally vomit. At some point you gotta stop blaming the employees for not being enthusiastic and ask if management is giving them a reason to be excited in the first place.

This!!! A lot of the associates do try and give it their all, but they for the most part are only recognized for what they have done wrong.
By cwgator
cadi40 wrote:
coasterbruh wrote:When do you think Carowinds will reach that year-round mark? I'm curious because some of the most popular parks that get more attendance than Carowinds isn't year round and i'm almost positive its for a reason. Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the year-round parks in the US only in CA and FL?

There are some year round parks out of FL and CA.

Which parks do you speak of? The only major and regional parks that are truly year round are in Florida and California.