General Carowinds discussion
User avatar
By redrunner97
#101276
tarheel1231 wrote:I think the trim is the main thing holding it back. Take that off and redo the track a la Ghostrider and you’d get a lot more airtime.


I think this idea is super short sighted.

Hurler is a dated, mediocre at best, wooden coaster. The only reason its foot traffic has gone up in recent years is because it's right next to the #1 ranked steel coaster in the world. You're reading too much into those ridership numbers.

If Twisted Timbers is any indication, giving Hurler the RMC treatment would transform a bland woodie into a stellar hybrid. That's a win. Then we could get a new, much more modern GCI at another point (either before or after this hypothetical RMC). This way, the park could swap out one underwhelming coaster for two amazing new ones. It just makes sense.
By RollerBee
#101283
^I disagree, Hurler was easier better than Thunder Road after GCI reworked turn 3 before Carowinds reinstalled the trim brake.

Also if Hurler got a boost in foot traffic because of Fury then Scream Weaver would have too. Hurler’s entrance isn’t near Fury nor is it on the way to Fury.

I am sure there are people that have ridden Hurler recently because Fury is next to it but I will argue that any possible increase in Hurler ridership is due to the removal of Thunder Road which likely increased ridership to all the coasters not just Hurler.

I agree with Tarheel, remove the trim and Ghostrider Hurler! If Carowinds gets an RMC, I don’t want it wasted on a Twisted Timbers clone; this ain’t 1994 anymore....
By Jackalope1217
#101289
hikernut79 wrote:So I have a question about how parks decide height requirements. We just got back from Busch Gardens and my 9 year old son is exactly 52" tall so he was able to finally get a ride on a B&M coaster since the height requirement for Apollo's Chariot is 52". But this got me to thinking. Apollo and Intimidator are basically the exact same style of coaster. The only difference is the arrangement of the seats on the trains but the restraints are the same. I would even argue that Apollo is a more intense ride. So why do you have to be 54" to ride Intimidator and for that matter Fury? I looked up height requirements at Cedar Point and you can ride every freaking ride there except Raptor and Rougarou! Carowinds is Cedar Fair just like Cedar Point so I can't figure out how they come up with these requirements. I'll just be glad when next year comes and he's finally 54" so he can ride everything.

I think it may have to do with the states safety laws or something of that nature.
By RRRAPIDS
#101293
I agree with a Ghostrider treatment for Hurler with new trains. Maybe add a tunnel and remove the trim break. The airtime and speed of Hurler is insane when the trim break is off. The layout is not that bad. Also keep in mind You have to pass HURLER to get to the DROP TOWER if your coming from FURY. The ridership for these rides are legit on their own popularity. Keep in mind its other things to do in the area like the Coca Cola Marketplace, and Jukebox which people take a break before they move on to the next attraction. Hurler is doing well. In conclusion, every park does not need an RMC conversion.
User avatar
By Chris
#101294
RollerBee wrote:^I disagree, Hurler was easier better than Thunder Road after GCI reworked turn 3 before Carowinds reinstalled the trim brake.

I kind of disagree. Hurler was better in year 1 up to maybe year 3. After that, and even after the minimal GCI work, meh...

RollerBee wrote:Also if Hurler got a boost in foot traffic because of Fury then Scream Weaver would have too. Hurler’s entrance isn’t near Fury nor is it on the way to Fury.

Again, I disagree. Scream Weaver is an intimidating ride for a completely different reason than a coaster. I know many people who will do the most extreme rides who won't get anywhere near Scream Weaver because they think they will throw up. In fact, there's always more people in our groups who won't ride than those who will. And for those that chose not to ride, that's usually the only ride they won't do.
User avatar
By mark40511
#101295
I wonder if they could RMC Carowinds hurler differently than the one at KD, making it NOT an exact clone? Anyway, if they could do that, then build a new GCI, you would turn a mediocre coaster into 2 great unique coasters. I never cared for Hurler and I rode it back when it opened more than recently. I also thought TR was much better. They should relocate Carowinds vortex to WOF instead of making it into a bland floorless. LOL That would totally piss off WOF.
User avatar
By Wormy
#101297
There are many that appreciate the positive Gs that can only be found on an Enterprise like Scream Weaver; extremely relaxing, almost like a free massage. It is usually avoided when with a group out of courtesy for those that may be prone to motion sickness. But then, I grew up on the thing.

Hurler should continue to be restored to its original intent and enhanced as long as it’s cost effective for GCI to re-track in the short term, however unlikely. For now, it stands as the only adult woodie in the park, which isn't saying much. RMC it later, maybe? (The luxury KD could afford while Grizzly). Can’t believe I’m defending Hurler. Yes, way. :wink:
User avatar
By redrunner97
#101334
mark40511 wrote:I wonder if they could RMC Carowinds hurler differently than the one at KD, making it NOT an exact clone? Anyway, if they could do that, then build a new GCI, you would turn a mediocre coaster into 2 great unique coasters.


Exactly my point. Anyone hoping to keep Hurler as a woodie is just insane to me. Practical? Maybe. But still insane.

And yes, RMC could certainly make our Hurler different from Twisted Timbers if they wanted to. Keep in mind, RMC doesn't just add steel track, they shape the wooden supports with new wood. This means they could add the foundation for any new elements if they see fit to do so.

In fact, I think it would be cool to see them try to outdo themselves on a second try at the Hurler layout. True innovation happens when designers are pressed to be more creative. Whether it's feasible or not, I'm crossing my fingers on a Hurler hybrid redux.
User avatar
By Hiveminded
#101345
Am I reading the schedule correct? According to the app they are going to be open weekends in early November. Unless it was entered wrong this gives them only a week to switch to Winterfest mode.

Edit: Also it looks like they will be doing a New Years event this year! They are open 5pm-1am December 31.

#101347
Hiveminded wrote:Am I reading the schedule correct? According to the app they are going to be open weekends in early November. Unless it was entered wrong this gives them only a week to switch to Winterfest mode.

Edit: Also it looks like they will be doing a New Years event this year! They are open 5pm-1am December 31.
They out that on the website about a month ago

3B58D4B5-1800-4DC6-BFD3-4432EDAE6286.png
#101362
redrunner97 wrote:
mark40511 wrote:I wonder if they could RMC Carowinds hurler differently than the one at KD, making it NOT an exact clone? Anyway, if they could do that, then build a new GCI, you would turn a mediocre coaster into 2 great unique coasters.


Exactly my point. Anyone hoping to keep Hurler as a woodie is just insane to me. Practical? Maybe. But still insane.

And yes, RMC could certainly make our Hurler different from Twisted Timbers if they wanted to. Keep in mind, RMC doesn't just add steel track, they shape the wooden supports with new wood. This means they could add the foundation for any new elements if they see fit to do so.

In fact, I think it would be cool to see them try to outdo themselves on a second try at the Hurler layout. True innovation happens when designers are pressed to be more creative. Whether it's feasible or not, I'm crossing my fingers on a Hurler hybrid redux.


The rmc hurler at kd is now my favorite ride there. Its THAT fun. Id be happy with an exact clone at Carowinds for that Hurler.
User avatar
By pproteinc
#101407
Is it me or have they insanely slowed down the rides in County Fair. Electro Spin is so slow to a point where you cant even get a good flip. It only gets enough force to rock back and forth. In order to flip you'll have to have insane weight differential which at times are rare.
By uscbandfan
#101463
Where do you think that will be?.... into the area where the "Hades" portion of the new coaster could have been?

They have been working over there a bit.

Or maybe this is Carowinds making more of the parking lot like the new lot over by the North Entrance. It sure needs it.
  • 1
  • 216
  • 217
  • 218
  • 219
  • 220
  • 232

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest