General Carowinds discussion
By Jonathan
The Comfort Inn is probably the best (recently renovated I believe), but I haven't stayed in any of them so hopefully someone else has better advice there.

As for safety, there's certainly no danger of crime. The concern would be traffic safety, especially if you stayed at one of the three on the opposite side of Carowinds Boulevard. This area, like most of Charlotte, was created with the car in mind and nothing else, so trying to cross that giant intersection on foot seems like a death wish. It's 8 lanes across with slip lanes on both sides and no crosswalks. Very sad, but that's the reality. Another reason the Comfort Inn may be better.
By FamousAmos
I would recommend the Comfort inn. It's about a mile walk from there to the front gate of the park. Takes about 10-15 minutes to walk. When we stayed there for MC3 back in July, we walked to the park for the event that morning.

They do have a breakfast for free, but I don't know how it is. We ate at the Cracker Barrel across the road from the park. I've heard that their breakfast wasn't that great. That's why we ate at the restaurant. The beds were really comfy and one of the best things about the room was the shower head...
:shifty:

Anywho, that's what I recommend.
By lawman7117
CoasterAddict11 wrote:Another question: we're planning on flying into CLT on early Wednesday afternoon (May 18th) and using the rest of our day to explore the local area since Carowinds is closed that day. Any recommendations for free/low-priced things to do in the Charlotte area (museums, parks, sightseeing, etc.)?

If you have kids, Discovery Place is a great science museum (downtown). Also downtown is the NASCAR Hall of Fame and museum and that's pretty cool, even if you aren't a fan. There are a ton of great malls including Concord Mills, but it sounds like a race weekend, so you probably should steer clear of Concord then.
By CoasterAddict11
I've been reading that Fury 325 has a "no preferred seating" policy that includes the front and back rows. Are they lenient about this polcy if you ask them politely? I'm coming all the way from Minnesota to visit the park, and it'll be a bummer if I don't get at least one front seat ride.
By BelowThePeak
The answer to that really depends on the day of the week and crowds. The more crowded the park, the less likely it'll be that you'll get to sit where you want. You said you're going on Thursday-Saturday? Thursday crowds shouldn't be too bad, so that's probably your best chance. Friday, it depends on the time you decide to go. On Saturday, you'll just have to hope you get lucky since the lines are going to be longer and the crew will just be trying to push people through.
By bigusabuck
Deere839 wrote:Im going to go to Carowinds on June 13th or 14th only have 1 day to do everything my goal is to be there from open to close and to ride everything in the dry park including the water rides and a few things in the water park like Blackbeard's Revenge and Dorsal Fin Drop. what should i start with and any cheap restraunts near the park to stop at because as soon as i leave im heading straight to dollywood for the rest of the week.

the park is so huge and so many rides adn bigger water park this year and seperate entrances you be lucky to ride every ride in 2 days in both parts of the park due to the long lines unless you have a speed pass to skip lines,but you will have a great time carowinds is the best park ive ever been too.
By bigusabuck
CoasterAddict11 wrote:During my trip to Carowinds, I'd prefer to stay at one of the hotels in this cluster just south of the park in Fort Mill. Are these hotels within walking distance of the park, and if so, is this area safe? (Could I walk to the hotels at night without worrying about being mugged?) Any in particular that you'd recommend?
image.jpeg

hi there i go to carowinds me and my family on our season passes we walk to the park and back to our motel6 within a mile of the park and never had any problems in last few years and motel6 we stay cause under $50 and pets stay free and pets allowed at carowinds keenel free also.
By bigusabuck
CoasterAddict11 wrote:I've been reading that Fury 325 has a "no preferred seating" policy that includes the front and back rows. Are they lenient about this polcy if you ask them politely? I'm coming all the way from Minnesota to visit the park, and it'll be a bummer if I don't get at least one front seat ride.

the fury 325 has no preferred seating as long as all the rides i rode the fury over 100 times last year and at times i get back,middle and front seats so based on how many seats available and how many in your party when you reach the entry guy that tells you where to stand,but yes the front seat is best ever most awesome seat.andbest days are weekdays monday thru friday never go on sat or sunday unless you plan wait 1 1/2 to 2 hours to ride.but its all well worth it.
By CoasterAddict11
1) I've officially made reservations for one of the hotels just south of the park so I can walk there. Could I walk into the parking lot through one of the exit roads, or would I have to go all the way up through the tollbooths? Sorry if that question sounds dumb, just want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.
2) Do you think Saturday the 21st will be a particularly busy day since it's opening day for Carolina Harbor?
Last edited by CoasterAddict11 on April 28th, 2016, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By FamousAmos
You are more than welcome to walk through the exit road. That's what we did during MC3 and the park had no problems with it. There were several others doing the same thing. however, from the Comfort Inn to the North gate of the park is roughly one mile. It's an easy walk in the morning, but in the evening, after having spent an entire day at the park, it's a tiring walk back, haha.
By uscbandfan
bigusabuck wrote:
Deere839 wrote:Im going to go to Carowinds on June 13th or 14th only have 1 day to do everything my goal is to be there from open to close and to ride everything in the dry park including the water rides and a few things in the water park like Blackbeard's Revenge and Dorsal Fin Drop. what should i start with and any cheap restraunts near the park to stop at because as soon as i leave im heading straight to dollywood for the rest of the week.

the park is so huge and so many rides adn bigger water park this year and seperate entrances you be lucky to ride every ride in 2 days in both parts of the park due to the long lines unless you have a speed pass to skip lines,but you will have a great time carowinds is the best park ive ever been too.

Really? Really? I have never.... N-E-V-E-R.. been to the park and not ridden every ride in one day (and we ride them all). Usually about a half-day unless it's mid summer and is JAM packed. In the summer, my family usually gets there for ERT on Fury then, at 10:00 start going through the park. We get most of the big rides done by 2 or so. We then go to the water park for some R&R for about 3 or 4 hours. Then, there's plenty enough time to ride what we might have missed plus some extra rides on the ones we want to go back to. If school is still in, we usually leave before closing since we've done everything multiple times.

Here's a caveat...if you don't ride Nighthawk right at 10:00am, don't even bother or you WONT ever get to every ride in the park.
By CoasterAddict11
Thanks for all of the advice so far, I'll be at the park exactly three weeks from today, can't wait!

One more question, I noticed that the park has a south entrance located near Afterburn. Is this gate open all of the time, or only on busy days? I'd prefer to use this gate if possible because it will make for a shorter walk from the hotel.
By uscbandfan
The walk under/over Fury at the Main Gate is more than worth the walk around the perimeter especially if you've never been to the park before!!
By RollerBee
South Gate is better looking and they both have roller coasters going under the walkway.