General Carowinds discussion
By MarkD
These are just some questions I keep having and wondered what anyone else thought. They are not for an expansion of the park for Rides but yet expansion for guests experiences outside the rides.

Alan and I were talking Wednesday about the possibility of the rumored resort coming to Carowinds along with the sports complex.

How much land would a resort need? Surely they would want it as close to the waterpark as possible, as Alan explained to me but I only see one area, without a ton of relocating that it go. There is a 5 acre plot as you enter Best Day Blvd on the left. Other than that I guess they could push the campground back and spill over into it. I don't think it would go over by Cabela's due to the fact that would be a hump to walk into the park.

Speaking of Cabela's area I could see several sports complexes going over there. Plenty of room for fields and parking. Of course that kills my very long time suggestion of a parking deck. Don't kill me Jonathan!!

As for the campground. Does it actually do enough business to be as big as it is? I've never stayed there but have driven by / through it several times and just don't see the business. Maybe Arby can fill me in.
By Edwardo
I doubt Carowinds will get something along the lines of Breakers or Sandcastke Suites. I would imagine something more like Knotts Hotel or Express (formerly Breakers Express), in which case they really wouldn't need as much room as
I think some around here expect. A nice, modern building with 3-4 floors doesn't have to take up a ton of room.

They could easily put a hotel in the rectangular plot of land beside Cabellas surrounded by Outlet Dr. There's no reason it would have to go by the water park.

Then they have plenty of land beyond that for the sports complex. Even if it's as big as the one at CP, which look to have 9-10 fields, it's not as big as you'd think.

Not only that, but the CP sports complex isn't on the peninsula, so Carowinds could get l right by the park
By RiDeWaRrIoR
Each time I am at the campground, its pretty busy. I always stay in a tent, so obviously its not filled over in that area, but there are usually at least 5 other campers there. If carowinds ever got a resort, I would think it would go somewhere behind the bus parking area. As far as sports complexes, I am unsure. I guess somewhere near cabelas that could be done, but I dont think its likely we will see that. I havent seen the new road they were clearing last year going to the campground, not really sure what it was for, possibly for the trams, I may have to drive over there next time I go just to see how its coming along... I dont think they would ever move the campground, definately may expand it. I do hope we see a resort though. I think it would make more sense for them to buy comfort inn and just convert it into a "resort" but I dont think that would ever happen.
By tarheel1231
Edwardo wrote:I doubt Carowinds will get something along the lines of Breakers or Sandcastke Suites. I would imagine something more like Knotts Hotel or Express (formerly Breakers Express), in which case they really wouldn't need as much room as
I think some around here expect. A nice, modern building with 3-4 floors doesn't have to take up a ton of room.

If that's the case, it seems like it would be cheaper/easier to buy and expand the Comfort Inn seeing as it's the closest hotel to the park.

FamousAmos wrote:The Campground gets lots of business.
In all honesty, it needs another expansion.

I think I saw clearing by the campground in that picture taken above the park displaying the rerouting of Catawba Trace. So I suspect we'll see an under-the-radar announcement for an expansion like KD's was.
By FamousAmos
I'm agreeing with Edwardo on this one.
Some of you have also stated that traffic noise on the interstate might be a problem at night. I have to digress this. I have stayed at the Comfort Inn there before and heard no noise whatsoever at night.
By RiDeWaRrIoR
Yep! I dont see it going up for sale, especially after the renovations they just did. I think its more likely to see that happen than a resort/sports complex, but who knows. As the park grows, they may need a resort but with so many hotels near by, I dont see why it would be necessary.....
By tarheel1231
Does Carowinds even need a hotel the size of Breakers or DreamMore? It seems like it has a larger local customer base considering it's in the middle of a large metro area. Something like the Knott's hotel seems more appropriate.

It would be nice if they could build a hotel on the state line.
By Deere839
There's always ways to cancel out noise but if they ever could get a partner ship to build them a hotel like this in that space over by the high way that would be amazing and i would see people coming in from tons of states to go to it.
By RollerBee
tarheel1231 wrote:Does Carowinds even need a hotel the size of Breakers or DreamMore? It seems like it has a larger local customer base considering it's in the middle of a large metro area. Something like the Knott's hotel seems more appropriate.

It would be nice if they could build a hotel on the state line.

How big is the Knotts Hotel?
By redrunner97
I hope Cedar Fair sticks to the recent trend of bringing back classic names to the park.
"The Carolina Queen" would be a pretty elegant, nostalgic name for the new hotel.
Last edited by redrunner97 on August 19th, 2016, 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Edwardo
Knotts Hotwl used to be a Radisson. It's a business class hotel with events space. A restaurant, and a 20k feet convention center.

I doubt Carowinds would do all of that.