General Carowinds discussion
By RollerBee
Chris wrote:That's a whole lot of typing when you consider a two digit year would have sufficed.

And the year I rode it matters why?
By Edwardo
Because it gives context. If your last ride on Mantis was almost a decade ago then your experience of how rough it was then is less relevant to someone who rode it before they converted it.

And we all know you live in a world that was over ten years ago.
By RollerBee
That's absurd, there were no changes to the ride between the time the trim brake was installed(which I know was well before I rode it if not original) and before the floorless conversion.

If we were discussing a coaster that had its track sections replaced, I could understand your logic but a coaster that only received yearly and proper maintenance is going to ride no different after a couple years of operation than it does 20-30 years down the road. All of the coasters at Carowinds(minus Hurler, Fury, Cobra and Intimidator) rode just the same in 2016 and 2011 as they did in 2006. Now Afterburn between 2016 and 1999 is different. Intimidator from 2011 and 2012 varied slightly, but 2012 to 2016 is no different.
By Edwardo
First, your entire post just proved my point, but we'll get to that.

I'd love to see how you have information that shows that Mantis received yearly and proper maint., because I know you don't know what's coming out of your @$$ when you say that.

Steel coasters do not ride just like they did when they opened, for many factors, including maintenance or lack there of. But since you touched on the fact that every B&M at Carowinds ran differently at times, you just confirmed what I said. What year or years that you rode Mantis make your comment relevant in the context of this conversation.

There are a lot of reasons that steel coasters don't run as well as opening day. They're machines. With moving parts and settling footings and friction to wear down rails and wheels. So that you think what you posted (and then went on to prove yourself wrong) is what is absured.

Having said that, The two coasters in questions, Mantis and Vortext, I've rode multiple times (Not just one ride on Mantis on your one mythical visit to Cedar Point 50 years ago when all was right with the world and the CPO was going to take over the used coaster world by storm). Mantis did indeed become rougher as time went on, and that is well documented on many site you'd be laughed off of if you ever tried to post there.

Vortex? I've ridden it nearly every year it has been open, including just a couple months after it opened, and it has gotten slowly rougher over time. Even on its good days, it isn't what it was when it opened. Vortex was one of the first B&M coasters, and Mantis one of the first large B&M coasters. Both of them do (or did) not ride nearly as rough in the beginning as they do (did) now. And as for Mantis, the flourless trains are far more comfortable and with a large overhaul, the removal of the trim, fresh paint, it runs much, much better. If What you say was true, then the ride would ride just exactly now as it did when Mantis closed and the wolfe took over that spot.
By RollerBee
I ain't the antagonistic one, you are. After a couple years at most a ride's foundation should stop settling, if it doesn't then there is a problem with the footings. Wheels get replaced, proper lubication and Maintenance ofthe wheels and rails will keep minizine wear and tear of the rails. The rails are harder than the wheel thus causing the wheels to wear.

You ain't telling me nothing I don't know, I have been involved in restoration, maintenance and operation of a standard gauge railroad for 6 years.
By Edwardo
Obviously you don't know enough if you say what I said was absured. You proved my point in your own post. If the only time someone rode one of the carowinds coasters was during the years you said they weren't running well, then that information provides context to this conversation, which you're too dense to understand.
By gabed
*peeks through the rubble and debris from the above argument*

Well if it means anything I rode it in 2013 and thought it was awful.
By Edwardo
As long as I get half and he's the bottom, just liquor me up and I'm down.
By RollerBee
Wormy wrote:
GetARoom.jpg

Overwhelming response so far. Keep those donations coming!

:roll:
Donate the money to Carowinds to rebuild Thunder Road. :sarcasm:
By gabed
stop.
By tarheel1231
Wormy wrote:
GetARoom.jpg

Overwhelming response so far. Keep those donations coming!

Why do you need $400,000+? They can get it on in the Clarion for a much cheaper price.