General Carowinds discussion
By RollerBee
Do seen this done?
Can you go into more details, you have my full curiosity for several reasons.
By Hydratorofury4life
(Back to nighthawk) what wheels are you talking about that don't touch the track? The lateral ones or the vertical top or bottom? Would the spring mechanism make the coaster so that the wheels wouldn't not touch the track by always having constant pressure on the wheel? I didn't notice wheels not touching the track on any of the coasters at carowinds but, at my home park darien lake I notice viper having basically all of the lateral wheels not touching the track. Is this what causes roughness and slamminess?
By Edwardo
You can't always tell by looking how much of a gap there is, especially if there are newer wheels on the ride but yes. Loose road wheels And up stop wheels means that the wheel bougie is banging around making contact with the track then losing it. Then you have Arrow that had the same problem and also didn't use computer engineering for their track layouts and transitions until right before their end. As great as it is, Tennessee Tornado could be nearly perfect if it had slightly better rolling stock. Arrow had debuted a new rolling stock (you can see it on Canyon Blaster in Vegas) but they didn't use it on Tornado. Not sure if that ride has the same chassis or not tho.
By FamousAmos
I think Tornado still has the same chassis.

To correct the wheel hub chassis issues on older coasters wouldn't be that expensive of a refurbishment. It all depends on if the park has the extra funds to do it, or if they even want to do it.
By Edwardo
New trains aren't cheap and they aren't just replacing the part that needs it on those older Arrow and Vekoma rolling stock.

Most Parks aren't going to usually invest in such a small return in investment for rides that are that old.
By gabed
Vortex isn't really a horrible coaster, at least not to the level of BAAAAAAAAAAD that Mantis was. If not for California's Great America announcing Patriot, I'd think making Vortex go floorless would be a silly idea. It definitely would not hurt to give the ride some floorless trains, I'd ride it more often if they did. But I don't really think it is a vital need for the ride.
By Edwardo
I disagree. Vortex is way rougher than Mantis on a good day. Mantis was just longer.

I'm surprised they decided to convert the smaller ones as well but i guess the cost of trains and station mods ended up being cheaper and a great way to market the coaster.
By RollerBee
gabed wrote:Vortex isn't really a horrible coaster, at least not to the level of BAAAAAAAAAAD that Mantis was. If not for California's Great America announcing Patriot, I'd think making Vortex go floorless would be a silly idea. It definitely would not hurt to give the ride some floorless trains, I'd ride it more often if they did. But I don't really think it is a vital need for the ride.

Not quite as rough as Mantis but I won't ride Vortex if I can see the que line from the ground, between the roughness and the shortness of the ride; it isn't worth it to me.

On the flip side, I will wait for Cobra if the ride is halfway down the ramp. But there again, that is provided the silly snake isn't "napping".
By coasterbruh
when was the last time you rode mantis?
By RollerBee
coasterbruh wrote:when was the last time you rode mantis?

The first time I rode it, I got the credit and moved on the Cedar Point other coasters.
By aoriole19
I feel like I've said this many times on here but I would be so sad it vortex was converted!!

1. I love Vortex! Stand up coasters are unique, and I ride it every time I go.

2. I want a GOOD floorless coaster at Carowinds one day. They are one of my favorite types, and I feel like Vortex would make a pretty crappy floorless coaster. And having one probably decreases our odds of getting another one..