General Carowinds discussion
gabed wrote:While I don't want to get my hopes up, it wouldn't make any sense not to go ahead and do it. Why renovate an entire area and not convert it while you're at it?

This exactly. And I would expect a permit to be filed soon for the conversion itself.
I like what they are possibly doing with Camp Snoopy, I know tons of people with Kids that don't go to Carowinds specifically because some of the rides in Planet Snoopy still are a little intense and they can't do a lot there.
Even though I've been thinking a lot about a Vortex conversion lately and what new theme/look I'd like to see it take on... I only just came around to the idea of a conversion at all. I think having a stand-up makes Carowinds pretty unique, since they're a fairly rare breed nowadays. But having a BAD stand-up isn't something you want to be known for (even if it was one of the OG B&M installations).

Now that we know they're planning on renovating the entire Carolina Showplace plaza (hopefully with a better name...) next season, I'm swinging my answer to a reluctant YES. If there was ever a time to convert Vortex, it'd be next year.

Now, if only they'd relocate that carousel to the big circular area vacated by yet another one of the park's many fallen water fountains. :shifty:
It'd certainly liven the place up a little. :mrgreen:
Last edited by redrunner97 on August 1st, 2017, 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Why expand Planet Snoopy and convert Vortex in the same offseason when they can do them over 2 seasons? 2018 can focus on families and Planet Snoopy while 2019 focuses on thrills and older children.

I dare believe that Carousel or Pirates is moving to Vortex Plaza with daring to believe that Carousel is the more likely of the two.
By Hiveminded
Did the other conversions have markings on them at this point? Seems a bit quiet on the ride itself. Could someone who has been more recently able to report back.
By Maverick44
Hiveminded wrote:Did the other conversions have markings on them at this point? Seems a bit quiet on the ride itself. Could someone who has been more recently able to report back.

I know that when Mantis was being converted they had either already started to paint it or started in September. It was before the closing of the park in 2014.
By Chris
FamousAmos wrote:if it's even getting a conversion you probably wont' see much until early September

And how do you know this?
By tarheel1231
How y'all ain't figured out that Amos runs the park? We'll see the teasers when he tells the PR team to make them.
By Chris
FamousAmos wrote:Past trends.

That doesn't make much sense though. The only past trends we can look at is Cedar Point and California. And with both of their stand-ups, we already saw signs at this point.