General Carowinds discussion
By coasterbruh
gabed wrote:Unless RMC fabricates their own launch or finds someone else, no one is going to be dumb enough to purchase another one. I freaking love Lightning Rod, heck, it's my number 3. But it's downtime is just awful.

again, based on????? Do you know EXACTLY what the issue is/was with lightning rod
? And i'm not talking about any internet garble
By gabed
They went with a company based out of Pennsylvania who had developed magnetic brakes for years. RMC wanted to fabricate their own launch but just couldn't do it in time. They contacted said Pennsylvanian company and asked if they could use their brake technology for a launch. LR's launch is a prototype and thus has many issues. You can see this in Devin Olson's documentary on the ride

Also, from RMC's Fred Grubb:

"We have been working with the launch system subcontractor on-site to bring it up to speed and working as intended.
As is often the case with prototype attractions and especially with launched coasters, delays are an ever-present possibility. During the course of testing, we determined that the third-party launch system would not be able to perform at the level required for proper operation.
By Edwardo
The biggest issue was the non functioning launch system. Made by a newcomer who likely won't get RMC'S business again.
By Chris
CBSpur wrote:So, with a lot of the stand-ups being converted to floorless (I believe outside of ours the only B&M stand-ups left in the US are at Six Flag parks) is it not possibly smarter to keep Vortex as a stand-up and market it as one of the few remaining ones in the US?

Just my opinion but I can't see that as being too successful when the best stand up in the world is 4 hours south.
By Jarsh
CarowindsFan wrote:The real problem is that little "seat" that sometimes lock into place at an unfortunate height.
Imagine riding a bicycle with no peddles and a seat that is 2 inches too high down a bumpy road. For guys, this can be a problem sometimes.

Ummm.... what? Floorless seats looks just like anything other sit down B&M seat, just without a floor. They don't "lock" into place causing discomfort on guys (or anyone). You're referring to their stand-up coaster trains.
By CarowindsFan
Jarsh wrote:
CarowindsFan wrote:The real problem is that little "seat" that sometimes lock into place at an unfortunate height.
Imagine riding a bicycle with no peddles and a seat that is 2 inches too high down a bumpy road. For guys, this can be a problem sometimes.

Ummm.... what? Floorless seats looks just like anything other sit down B&M seat, just without a floor. They don't "lock" into place causing discomfort on guys (or anyone). You're referring to their stand-up coaster trains.

Yes, my bad. I thought they were talking about the stand-up.
By jeffdavis
^ I was scratching my head on that one. I don't think anyone in their right mind would ride a standup coaster without a floor. The floor is the only way I survive Vortex as it is. :)

So the whole thing about a floorless is the ability to look down at your dangling feet and see nothing below them? Then I don't see the hype. So leaving Vortex alone a few more years might not be such a bad idea for Carowinds.
By gabed
The trains are much more comfortable and do improve the ride experience, but there is nothing special about the trains themselves.
By cwgator
^Well the floorless seats sit higher than the sit downs (esp older ones like Kumba), and there is much less pressure on your legs/knees since you're feet aren't planted on the floor (if they reach that is). I definitely prefer the floorless over the older sitdown trains. The newer sitdowns on the hypers/gigas (like Mako, Intimidator & Fury 325) are set a bit higher so my feet dangle slightly making those great.
By RRRAPIDS
https://www.carowinds.com/play/carolina ... une-lagoon
This makes me wonder if something is popular as stated in the description of Sand Dune Lagoon, would it still be removed. I can't see them removing that to build a coaster. But hey, anything is possible. I was just brainstorming. But hey, it would still be nice to see the volleyball courts installed in the Harbor. :idea: I was really looking forward to that. :(
By BS1983CLT
So anyone else notice Laresa Thompson was at Mystic Timbers Media Day?
As far as I know, there were no other Cedar Fair marketing managers at Media Day.

Just some thoughts...
Cedar Point is 3 hours away... Carowinds is 8.

I am starting to get on board with a new GCI in 2018!

Just after riding Invadr at Busch Gardens Williamsburg over the weekend, I am fine by that! I've been on over 10 GCI coasters and they are a blast and just what Carowinds needs.

Plus, they really aren't that expensive.

Once again we have to think why tear down WWF so soon? They wouldn't tear it down that soon for a new water slide.

Unless the ride was going to cost a lot more to fix it if the ride had a lot of issues. But last year it seemed like it was running all summer long.
By RollerBee
^I won't say that her attending Mystic Timbers doesn't mean anything but it isn't uncommon for parks to send their media reps to other parks for media days. It could mean something but I doubt it.
By carolinaman
BS1983CLT wrote:So anyone else notice Laresa Thompson was at Mystic Timbers Media Day?
As far as I know, there were no other Cedar Fair marketing managers at Media Day.

The PR manager Katelyn Sherwood from Kings Dominion was there also.
By coasterbruh
BS1983CLT wrote:So anyone else notice Laresa Thompson was at Mystic Timbers Media Day?

It's quite customary for all of them to attend major media days. The chain is always proud of their big shinny new toys. Don't read too much into it.