General Carowinds discussion
By Edwardo
Yeah more than just Carowinds staff was there. My instagram feed was all mystic timbers all day, lol.
By FamousAmos
Remember how many were at Fury's Media Day?
Also, have any of you gotten to ride it yet? How is it compared to other GCI's like Thunderhead?
By Edwardo
Not yet but I hear the ride is great. InvadR was really great so hopefully GCI is on an upswing.
By Chris
BS1983CLT wrote:So anyone else notice Laresa Thompson was at Mystic Timbers Media Day?
As far as I know, there were no other Cedar Fair marketing managers at Media Day.

Just some thoughts...
Cedar Point is 3 hours away... Carowinds is 8.

I am starting to get on board with a new GCI in 2018!

Just after riding Invadr at Busch Gardens Williamsburg over the weekend, I am fine by that! I've been on over 10 GCI coasters and they are a blast and just what Carowinds needs.

Plus, they really aren't that expensive.

Once again we have to think why tear down WWF so soon? They wouldn't tear it down that soon for a new water slide.

Unless the ride was going to cost a lot more to fix it if the ride had a lot of issues. But last year it seemed like it was running all summer long.

At Fury Media Day, I ran into the team from Canada's Wonderland. CONFIRMED! Canada's Wonderland is getting another B&M giga.............. :think:
By aoriole19
I'm kinda late but going back to the previous topic of floorless coasters- I LOVE them! They are one of my favorites and to be completely honest I cannot explain why. I think they generally are the most comfortable seats, yes, but there's also just something about the ride experience that makes me like them the best even though I'm not sure what it it is.

HOWEVER I would be really upset if Vortex gets transformed for the reasons I've said a bunch of times on here: (1) I love Vortex (2) Vortex would not make a very good floorless coaster, and I want Carowinds to get a good floorless coaster instead.

Also, I'm not really sure what marketing value a floorless coaster has to the GP honestly. I can't think of a single time I've talked about floorless coasters to a non-enthusiast and they knew what it was. (even if they've been on one before!) About 90% of my friends think I mean inverted coaster, and 10% just give me a blank stare.
By FamousAmos
Try operating it for a while :thumbup:
You'll soon be very happy about it becoming a floorless after a month or two of operating it.
When you get a row of kids who want to ride and none of them weigh enough to hold the "seat" down. Countless times I've had to hold down all four seats and yell for someone to lock the train :lol: :mrgreen: :lolno: #makeitfloorlessalready
By RRRAPIDS
Well, more then likely it will be floorless either way. The lines for Vortex are always the shortest on Carowinds busy days. It's time for the conversion. I'm actually excited about it. Out of Roguarou & Patriot, Vortex for a fact will be the smoothest. Plus that drop after the loop will have some awesome airtime.
By Chris
FamousAmos wrote:Countless times I've had to hold down all four seats and yell for someone to lock the train :lol: :mrgreen: :lolno: #makeitfloorlessalready

That sounds tragic. :shifty:
By carolinaman
I personally would like to see them leave Vortex and just build a good floorless coaster.
By cwgator
^I would like to see that as well. However the last new floorless installation was Hydra The Revenge in 2005 @ Dorney Park (that wasn't a Dive Coaster).
By Barbwire
FamousAmos wrote:Try operating it for a while :thumbup:
You'll soon be very happy about it becoming a floorless after a month or two of operating it.
When you get a row of kids who want to ride and none of them weigh enough to hold the "seat" down. Countless times I've had to hold down all four seats and yell for someone to lock the train :lol: :mrgreen: :lolno: #makeitfloorlessalready

I feel your pain dude!
By tarheel1231
It's a given at this point, and it's happening whether we like it or not. Cedar Fair said that if Rougarou was successful, there were two other coasters in the chain that could see similar transformations. Vortex at Great America already received a conversion. So who could possibly be next?
By arby
You will note that it is mostly men (me included) that are less of a fan of standup coasters. After I rode my first one in 2000 (Vortex coincidentally), I had a difficult time walking for some time afterwards... :lol:

I have since learned 'how' to set the restraint properly so that it causes less discomfort.
By jeffdavis
It's painful for me to watch how long it takes to load Vortex. And aside from the "manly" discomfort already mentioned, I tend to bang the sides of my head against the restraints during the ride. Therefore we walk past it most of the time.