General Carowinds discussion
By aoriole19
carolinaman wrote:I personally would like to see them leave Vortex and just build a good floorless coaster.

+++

I want this etched into my gravestone
By FamousAmos
Regardless of our opinion, the company will do what they think is best. Whether that be converting it, or not converting it. (just being captain obvious here; just pay me no mind at all :mrgreen: )
By gabed
tarheel1231 wrote:It's a given at this point, and it's happening whether we like it or not

This. Patriot more or less guarantees that Vortex will meet a similar fate.

arby wrote:You will note that it is mostly men (me included) that are less of a fan of standup coasters. After I rode my first one in 2000 (Vortex coincidentally), I had a difficult time walking for some time afterwards

I feel a bit odd that out of 5 stand ups I've ridden (which is sad enough on its own) I've never had a problem with that kind of discomfort.
By Jonathan
If you bend your knees slightly until the seat locks you avoid that problem because you aren't actually "sitting" on the bicycle seat. So for me the discomfort has never been that, but rather the pressure on my legs from the forces (which I guess is why you are supposed to sit on the seat) and the head banging (which is less likely to be resolved by converting it to floorless).
By fishels
aoriole19 wrote:
carolinaman wrote:I personally would like to see them leave Vortex and just build a good floorless coaster.

+++

I want this etched into my gravestone

:clap:

Me too. Personally wouldn't mind if they knocked both Nighthawk and Vortex down while they are at it(eventually). Both of the rides have always struck me as gimmicky, not much fun to ride and straight up painful. Not to mention the load times on Nighthawk.

Every time i give them a shot i walk away feeling like the wait wasnt worth it and they could be so much more. And it's not because they are "old". Afterburn is an older ride and it stood the test of time IMO.

But that's just me.
By coasterbruh
Chris wrote:Bring on the conversion. SFOG better not touch Georgia Scorcher, though.

Six flags had the better luck with their stand ups Their worst, that I have been on, is apocalypse. Even green lantern was far more enjoyable than mantis.
By LocoDriver
Every time i give them a shot i walk away feeling like the wait wasnt worth it and they could be so much more. And it's not because they are "old". Afterburn is an older ride and it stood the test of time IMO.

But that's just me.[/quote]

Vortex is older than Afterburn.
By gabed
I second the Six Flags stand-up opinion. Green Lantern was a very pleasant surprise and Georgia Scorcher is actually enjoyable. Mantis though, dear God.
By arby
I've found the longer B&M ones to be unbearable like Green Lantern and Mantis. The shorter ones are all pretty decent (now that someone told me how to ride one some years back). My 'favorite' one so far is Cobra with Georgia Scorcher in a close second. The head banging sucks on all of them, though.
By FamousAmos
I don't mind riding Vortex (I'm just use to it. we test ride each morning). I do have to agree that there is a pressure on your legs though. I never experience any discomfort from the "seat".
It would still be nicer as a floorless IMO.
Forgot I had this from two years ago XD
By mark40511
OK, my opinion is this about Vortex and a conversion:

First of all, I never had a problem of being uncomfortable riding it. The issue for me is was that it was too short and I really don't like standing up on a coaster.

But giving it some thought, a floorless conversion would make it much better for just being much more comfortable and somewhat thrilling for those who do not want to ride the huge coasters. So many people HATE vortex because it's either too short or very uncomfortable. I think that it would be a more liked coaster if it gets the conversion. I can't wait for them to get rid of that name and a new color scheme. The coaster is 25 years old. I remember the year of its debut and we rode it several times and LOVED it. LOL
By uscbandfan
Vortex has always been rougher (restraint-wise) than the stand-up at SFoG. I don't mind the seat. It's the head banging I hate.

That said...
A page of posts ago someone mentioned it was usually the shortest line in the park. I used to agree until yesterday when the line was all the way around the extra path extension (Hell, that's the first time I've seen the extension used in years. Usually the line never reaches the courtyard in the straight, non-extended path) Could be because of the Bands and Orchestras that were in the theater right next door but I was SHOCKED at the length of the line.

Even so, its run its course. Lets see something better there.