General Carowinds discussion
By 1Falcons
i went to Carowinds yesterday with some of my friends and we rode the Woodstock Whirlybirds and we had a clear view of the new Haunt. I took some photos of the new haunt and the logo and I will try to upload them later. I personally believe that the theme of the maze will be like stranger things or something to do with dimensions due to the name. the full name of the building is going to be blurry but I think it said blakthropes research facility.
By 1Falcons
They also moved bloodyard to the Drop Zone area and the playground near Plants vs.Zombies
Attachments
By pproteinc
Well there's your glimpse of the new maze. Love the logo.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/0CZLd8UIQuw[/youtube]
By Wood Coaster
Should they Delay putting up all the SCarowinds Mazes & Decor because it could get all blown away with Hurricane Irma.
By CCookieMonster
Hopefully Irma doesn't hit Carowinds itself, but if it did come to the Carolina coast and end up still being Cat 5 and hitting Carowinds at that status, how would Carowinds be affected?
By RollerBee
CCookieMonster wrote:Hopefully Irma doesn't hit Carowinds itself, but if it did come to the Carolina coast and end up still being Cat 5 and hitting Carowinds at that status, how would Carowinds be affected?

Carowinds survived nearly a direct hit from Hurricane Hugo in September 1989, roofs were damaged and Cyclone's fence up it's lift was damaged. It took the park a few days to clean up. However there was no SCarowinds back then.

http://www.charlesapple.com/uploads/201 ... hChuck.jpg

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/l ... 98933.html
I am more concerned about Family Kingdom and Swamp Fox than Carowinds and other major parks.
By uscbandfan
The Family Kingdom park was decimated by Hugo. However, I was there a week later and talked with the security guard. He told me the entire park was a loss except that the Swamp Fox have VERY MINIMAL damage and could probably be back up and running by now (then). That said, when they rebuilt the park, they took the opportunity to refurbish it. (There was probably more damage than the security guard knew about but the fact that it was still there completely intact is a testament to the design and construction.)

Now, HUGO hit Charleston as a cat 5 with 139 MPH winds and was moving at a blistering 18 to 20 knots. The wind-speed was still about 100mph when it reached Charlotte. IRMA is a different beast. It's moving very slow in comparison and will be decimated in intensity by the state of Florida (and maybe Georgia) before getting to South Carolina. I don't see anything other than rain and a bit of wind for Charlotte (if it even comes that way.) It will NOT be a HUGO... not for Charlotte anyway.
By arby
CCookieMonster wrote:Hopefully Irma doesn't hit Carowinds itself, but if it did come to the Carolina coast and end up still being Cat 5 and hitting Carowinds at that status, how would Carowinds be affected?

The odds of a hurricane being a Cat 5 by the time it makes it to Carowinds are extremely unlikely. You may have better odds of winning the lottery.

Hugo was an anomaly as it was moving so fast. Most hurricanes move quite a bit slower causing them to weaken more than Hugo as they move inland.
By uscbandfan
CCookieMonster wrote:A cat 5 is 157mph+ winds, 139 is cat 4. Just wanted you to know

True. My bad. I thought I typed '4'. I'm very familiar with the speed ranges. I just forgot to proofread my type. Thanks.

Considering the current track, I doubt the people at Carowinds will even know a hurricane is around. Just some scattered showers and a a bit breezy.
By Wood Coaster
Looks as though right now Hurricane Irma will bounce off to the West & Carowinds will be spared..... Just Rain & some Wind.

I never been to SCarowinds but hope to do so this year.

Have they ever had one of the Mazes setup as though some Weather Event such as a Hurricane or Blizzard had just through?
By carolinaman
Reading the last line, could the Overlord be coming back??
Attachments
By IntimidationNation
carolinaman wrote:Reading the last line, could the Overlord be coming back??

Hopefully they do bring back the overlord. I feel like the attractions were better for some reason. When the witch took over, it seemed as if all the mazes and scare zones were no longer for haunt fans but instead for family's with kids. Also, did anyone else notice that the Carolina Skytower is on the list of attractions. I'm curious if they aren't doing the cat eyes this year so they can jump straight into Winter fest after scarowinds.
By Flarsen
Because no one has posted about it yet:
Mass Acres- Main Entrance
Bloodyard- Thrill Zone
Psycho Circus- County Fair
Fleet Street- path between Intimadator and Harmony Hall
Playground- ???? (hasn't been set up yet)
Scary Tales- Place where Cyclone and Richochet are (forgot name)