General Carowinds discussion
By uscbandfan
The PvsZ building isn't JUST used for the attraction. The other side is used for chorus concerts and competitions among other things. I'm sure Carowinds gets grant money and other insintives for offering community events and services like that. I sing with the Palmetto Mastersingers and we apply for and get grant money each year for doing community events.

So, having that building there is an attraction as well as helping with the budget. They also use the Carowinds Theater for orchestra concerts and competitions for the same reasons. If they raze the PvsZ building, they would need to look into constructing another "theater-type" venue for this purpose.

Personally, I think they should raze it and construct a true "theater"-style building so they can also have another indoor show during the season along with what is produced at the Carolina Theater.
By gabed
Truth be told they could turn it into a theater without bulldozing it. The infrastructure for stadium seating is already there. It would surprise me if the take out PvZ next year, given how new it is and how much work they put into it, but nonetheless, I would gladly welcome it's removal. Re theme the building to fit whatever theme they give that area next year and put a show, or at the very least a short film detailing the history of the park or the Carolinas in it.
By sorashaun
tarheel1231 wrote:I mean if it wasn’t obvious enough, there’s coasters named “Carolina Goldrusher” and “Carolina Cyclone”, and they just renamed the Jr. Invert “Kiddy Hawk.” The entire waterpark is named “Carolina Harbor” with several references to the Carolinas’ coastal history. They started an event called “Taste of the Carolinas.”

...yes, “Carolina” because it represents both states. A Charleston-based area does not do that. The only Carolina-specific theme in the entire park would be Fury, which is themed around Charlotte (which would make sense considering the park’s official address is in Charlotte).
By uscbandfan
Ah... but "Kiddy Hawk" is a reference to Kitty Hawk which is a unique and specific reference to NORTH Carolina. I have no problem with "Palmetto Pier" or "Palmetto Tinbers" or the like as a reference to South Carolina as well to promote parity between the states.
By RollerBee
gabed wrote:A lot of people on this site seem to think moving rides is done with ease. This isn't RCT

If it were that easy than Carowinds would have had the theming done on Rock N Roller last year...
It isn’t suggested because we think it is easy, most of have a fermented idea of how complex moving a ride is.
By Edwardo
Fury refers to Charlotte. Kiddy Hawk refers to kitty hawk. Intimidator is Dale themed and he was from NC. Who cares if there’s a reference to Charleston? That’s still carolina themed architecture. And the park used to have Blackbeard which was state specific.

The theme of the park is the Carolinas. Anything from the Carolinas is fair game. I mean, Charleston is closer than Kitty Hawk...
By chknwing
gabed wrote:
sorashaun wrote: The park is not in or near Charleston, so I’m not sure where this idea even came from.

The park isn’t near a beach either and yet it still has the boardwalk and Carolina Harbor. The park is about the Carolinas, not Charlotte. I for one love the low country idea :clap: :clap: :clap:

Actually, it is. There's a beach in Cornelius, Ramsey Beach.
By FamousAmos
I would assume that the reason Rock N Roller's "theming" took so long would more than likely be due to the manufacturers of the lights themselves. Those pieces take a while to build and assemble. But then again, maybe the budget didn't quite allow it to be installed before park opening and had to be delayed. I'm not sure. Could be either/or. I would assume that a lot of the County Fair wasn't themed completely by opening day due to budget concerns. I do hope that the park continues to push for better theming overall. Well themed areas are so immersive.
By Edwardo
I thought you told people you were involved in planning county fair. Wouldn’t you be privy to that info?

And before you go sending me any private messages, remember I always keep receipts.
By RRRAPIDS
Plants vs. Zomies is a nice attraction and now fairly new. It's a family ride/ attraction. The problem with this attraction is there is no directional signage in the park. You will be surprised at the people I know that don't realize this attraction/ride is in the park. The park as a whole has done terrible in promoting/ giving directions/ as well as advertising certain rides. It's just like many people didn't realize Thunder Road was in the park. Reason being it was hidden. It's a complete shame. #The Park Needs More Signs. And yes, people read them. In the current crossroads section, I can't see them removing anything else except the YOYO. Everything else I'm sure will stay. Maybe some infrastructure on the game buildings etc. The area doesn't look that bad. On busy days, the area is busy. It's just a laid back area of the park. In conclusion, replace Yoyo with a better flat ride that will help Plants vs. Zombies.
By RollerBee
RRRAPIDS wrote:Plants vs. Zomies is a nice attraction and now fairly new. It's a family ride/ attraction. The problem with this attraction is there is no directional signage in the park. You will be surprised at the people I know that don't realize this attraction/ride is in the park. The park as a whole has done terrible in promoting/ giving directions/ as well as advertising certain rides. It's just like many people didn't realize Thunder Road was in the park. Reason being it was hidden. It's a complete shame. #The Park Needs More Signs. And yes, people read them. In the current crossroads section, I can't see them removing anything else except the YOYO. Everything else I'm sure will stay. Maybe some infrastructure on the game buildings etc. The area doesn't look that bad. On busy days, the area is busy. It's just a laid back area of the park. In conclusion, replace Yoyo with a better flat ride that will help Plants vs. Zombies.

Does any ride/area any directional signs in the park anymore? I don’t look for them since I don’t need them so I don’t recall seeing any.
By RRRAPIDS
My point exactly. The GP, (not so much season pass holders) but people that have never been to the park actually use signs or maps. Also Scream Weaver and Skytower don't have ride signs. But you and I will know what they are. In other words, other parks have directional signs/ signs for everything. After working in several parks(including Carowinds), I will tell you that has come up in random conversations from guests. Moving forward, it can be a small fix to help enhance guest experience.
By tarheel1231
So this is what'd I'd like to see for the overall development of this area in 2019:

I would name the area "Lowcountry", and I would open up a pathway behind Dodgems and Boo Blasters to serve as the midway for the 2019 attraction.

Project Alpha: Like I said before, I'd love to see a multi-launched GCI, as it solves both the launch coaster gap and wooden coaster gap in our lineup. A GCI with a launch seems feasible with the construction of Wicker Man at Alton Towers, and if Carowinds received one with two launches, it'd be the first multi-launched wooden coaster. Ideally I'd like to see some sort of hybrid between Manta at SWSD and the twisty GCI's like Thunderhead and Goldstriker. This is probably a completely unrealistic expectation, but I'm going to hold onto this pipedream until August (or July when the blueprints are inevitably leaked).

Flyers: I think "Flying Eagles" would be a really cool callback to the ride's original name, but with this being Carowinds, I'd like to see it themed after something regional. While it's a bit of a stretch, I think theming the Flyers to Sailboats such as those found in Charleston's harbor could be neat.

Ride Pad for Future Flat: Yo-Yo isn't really necessary since the park has Zephyr. If Cedar Fair still has a Breakdance lying around, it might fit here (I don't actually know the scale of the flat).
By Cameron
They could also use a throwback name for the flyers such as Flying Dutchman. I would love that.

Also It would be possible for the flyers to go where yo-yo is. If Zepher could fit in that spot the flyers would have no trouble either.