General Carowinds discussion
By uscbandfan
We need to be careful about being spoiled. We got Intimidator in 2010.... Fury 325 in 2015. By that logic, we're going to expect something big by 2020.

and maybe that will happen. (We can hope. I'm hoping.)

Granted it was under different management, but consider we went 12 years without a new coaster from 80 to 92 (decade of the flats). The 2000's were a boon to new coasters albeit not all of them huge... again under different management.

Changes or expectation of big coasters are becoming more frequent.

1973 - Goldrusher
1975 - Scooby Doo (Woodstock Express)
1976 - *Thunder Road
1977- *White Lightnin'
1980 - Cyclone
1992 - Vortex
1994 - Hurler
1999 - Top Gun (Afterburn)
2000 - *Flying Super Saturator
2002 - Ricochet
2003 - Rugrats (Kiddy Hawk)
2004 - Borg (Nighthawk)
2009 - Cobra
2010 - Intimidator
2015 - Fury 325
By gabed
I've been an enthusiast for nearly a decade now. If I've learned anything about this industry, it's that there are no such things as patterns, especially when it comes to coasters. If you looked at a timeline of Kings Dominion in 2011, history would tell you that another coaster would have come in 2012.
By Grobble
gabed wrote:Is Kings Dominion proof? God I hope not. I'd prefer to have our next coaster before 2023, given how long they had to wait for another one after their giga. :wink:

Apples and oranges. Kings Dominion Revenue/EBIDTA has not really being growing as a % of the overall chain. Cedar Fair had an entire investor presentation years back on the reasons they were going to invest heavily in Carowinds. It goes into demographics of single young people, families with kids, income in the area, etc... They see a lot of potential in Carowinds and I-305 was the start of their long term investment plan. CF has seen good revenue and EBIDTA growth for their investments. They are meeting the ROI specs CF wants which is minimum 15%. CF wants to make Carowinds "the thrill capital of the southeast", their words in the presentation. The success of Carowinds was cited by CF for their long term plan announced for CA Great America. They see the same potential based on demographics, income, etc..

2014 Carowinds EBIDTA was the essentially the same as Dorney Park. Carowinds is now slightly ahead of Kings Dominion. The investments are going to continue and some are already known like the hotel. Predict next coasters to be Vortex floorless conversion followed by new coaster the year after..2019/2020. Carowinds has received a water park addition, planet snoopy revamp, dark ride winterfest since I-305, they have hit all the demographic bases in that span. So the park is due for a major flat thrill ride(last 2012) and a coaster for the thrill seekers.
By gabed
I wasn't exactly being serious...
By Grobble
Thrill Capture wrote:The last major flat was Electro Spin...

Forgot about electro spin as they added a Mondial Top Scan at Knotts in 2017 too.
By Grobble
Edwardo wrote:I think he meant at Carowinds.

I go to CF parks all over the country yearly, 6 or more. I went to Knotts and rode their top scan last year and forgot about riding Carowinds, which was also new.
By cwgator
Grobble wrote: I go to CF parks all over the country yearly, 6 or more. I went to Knotts and rode their top scan last year and forgot about riding Carowinds, which was also new.

I see you're fairly new here. Welcome.
By cadi40
Here are my guesses for 2019 -
- Possible RMC Hurler
- Possible Launch Coaster
- Possible Water Park upgrades and/or new slide tower
- Announcement of adding some retail to the Hotel development
I think any of those are all plausible and I'm excited to see whats to come!
By cwgator
I have a definite for 2019: The Flyers (Woodstock Gliders) Return

I posted this in the general thread, but since it's returning in 2019 I figured may as well post it here as well.

This morning, NBC Charlotte (and other news outlets) were on a construction tour for Camp Snoopy. During the tour it was confirmed that Woodstock Gliders (Flyers) won't be back until 2019 as part of whatever they are doing by WWF. I know this will be quite upsetting to many knowing it's popularity.

It's around the 13 minute mark. The reporter calls it Flying Ace Aerial Chase, but, it's understood what she meant as this was the area it was in.
[youtube]https://www.facebook.com/NBCCharlotte/videos/1963187117056102/[/youtube]
By gabed
Now that is very telling.

Here's my guess for now: Crossroads gets both renovated and expanded, with the old WWF plot used to open up the area. I don't want to be the fanboy who screams "NEW COASTER!!!" every year, but it would make a lot of sense to put one back there to really sell the expansion.
By RiDeWaRrIoR
Told you they were not coming back until 2019, glad its finally been confirmed. I did watch a bit of the live stream and shared it on a few places on Facebook too. I wish ACE had a backstage construction tour this year! Gliders & a coaster in 2019!
By BS1983CLT
2019 is shaping up to be a heck of a year for the park! I wonder if the Gliders will still be built near the County Fair area or if they will be moved to the Crossroads?

GCI Woodie.... 2019
+ Gliders...