General Carowinds discussion
By cwgator
CCookieMonster wrote:How is the SNowflake Lake going to work? I was just wondering how they could keep the Ice Skating rink well, ICE when it could get up to 70° during December? I was just wondering.

SeaWorld Orlando does it every year between Thanksgiving and NYE at Bayside Stadium for their ice skating show. It's very do-able.
By carolinaman
Can they use the area where Snow Flake Lake is going to be for other things during the regular season like shows and stuff. Something besides an ice rink. There is some nice lighting being put around it.
By RRRAPIDS
carolinaman wrote:Can they use the area where Snow Flake Lake is going to be for other things during the regular season like shows and stuff. Something besides an ice rink. There is some nice lighting being put around it.
I would hope they would utilize it for something. The lighting towers are permenant.
By coasterbruh
Wishful thinking, they do open up some coasters when the temps are good? But not making it official??
By carolinaman
The decorations they have up so far looks really good. Really looking forward to seeing it when Winterfest starts. I also noticed they are putting lights in some trees in Planet Snoopy. Maybe some rides will be open in that area. Here are a few pics I took yesterday.
Attachments
Boo Blasters is looking good
Lights in the trees in Planet Snoopy
Some cool ornaments
By Cameron
That's absolutely horrible. They seriously couldn't wait till the first. They would of had plenty of time to put everything up.

If disney can do it to 6 parks and 20 resorts overnight surely carowinds can do it in 2-3weeks.

Just tacky.
By cwgator
Well Disney can afford to hire a huge staff to do so in a short time (who regularly do this). You really can't compare Disney to a CF park. I imagine as the years go by as they get used to having to decorate, it will start later.

I love Christmas so bring it on!
By pproteinc
To piggy back, yes you definitely can't compare a regional park to an international destination resort. Mainly the operation managers, supervisors and a very small crew are decorating.

Well Christmas Tree is up in the front plaza. Decorated accordingly.

The arbor tunnel will be LIT!!!

New signs at the toll booths.
By super7
tarheel1231 wrote:It is a shame that Afterburn will be the only good coaster running, but considering it's the second best ride in the park (IMO), I'm content with it. Goldrusher also would have been a perfect ride for this event. Out of curiosity, what temperatures do Arrows stop operating at?

Also, there's going to be a carriage ride through Carolina Harbor. I'm oddly excited about this.

At Kings Island on 10/28, the temperature started out around 40 and got up to around 45 or so. The GCI wood coaster was open at 10:30 AM. The other wood coasters opened around 11:30-12:00, then the B & Ms opened later. The Vekoma flying coaster opened and I believe the Premier launched coaster opened.

None of the Arrows (3 of them) opened the entire day. The Vekoma jr suspended also did not open. Guessing the Arrows do not perform well in the cold.