General Carowinds discussion
Fury 325 is a amazing coaster.

I look on a lot of websites and see that it does not get the recognition it should be getting. Did I miss something on why this coaster is not ranked higher in peoples opinion or is the times of big tall fast coasters over and people are moving to intense hybrid coasters.

Just a random thought that I have been thinking about lately.

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Carowindsman on May 28th, 2018, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TNT Jack
Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I think most enthusiasts acknowledge Fury as a great ride. However, there is a stigma around B&Ms being less intense, weaker, more dull experiences. For example, hybird coasters provide absurd amounts of ejector airtime, bizarre elements and extremely quick pacing, which Fury only displays to an extent. Most B&M hypers do not boast any of these characteristics either. This stigma usually does ring true throughout most of B&M’s coasters. Now, people have preferences. For me, I much prefer the sheer out-of-control insanity of many Intamin and RMC attractions over the more controlled B&M experience. Many do not like the often uncomfortable experiences of Intamins and RMC coasters. Anyways, Fury currently ranks as my #12 coaster. Is it great? Yes, of course. It is shockingly intense for a newer B&M and has pretty good airtime (bordering ejector on some days towards the end). Is Fury my favorite? No. Again, it all comes down to preference. I prefer the insanity of the likes of Steel Vengeance, I305 and El Toro to Fury any day.
By dirkdiggler1992
When I first read the title I though “oh crap what happened”.

You must not frequent Reddit, for example, because outside of their beloved Intamins and RMCs, Fury gets quite a bit of screentime. Anyway, Fury is a jack of all trades and master of none, but it still pops up on many enthusiasts favorites even if it may not be everyone’s number 1. Plus no one cares where it places with the community, what matters is how many asses is it getting through that ticket booth.

Look at I305, although some prefer its intensity, when you buy a giga for your park and a ride like Dominator gets more annual riders, you bought something too intense. Enthusiasts rankings doesn’t bring in dollars for the park, it’s the general public.
By gabed
Go to r/rollercoasters.

Fury pics are plastered there like wallpaper
By fishels
TNT Jack wrote:Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I think most enthusiasts acknowledge Fury as a great ride. However, there is a stigma around B&Ms being less intense, weaker, more dull experiences. For example, hybird coasters provide absurd amounts of ejector airtime, bizarre elements and extremely quick pacing, which Fury only displays to an extent. Most B&M hypers do not boast any of these characteristics either. This stigma usually does ring true throughout most of B&M’s coasters. Now, people have preferences. For me, I much prefer the sheer out-of-control insanity of many Intamin and RMC attractions over the more controlled B&M experience. Many do not like the often uncomfortable experiences of Intamins and RMC coasters. Anyways, Fury currently ranks as my #12 coaster. Is it great? Yes, of course. It is shockingly intense for a newer B&M and has pretty good airtime (bordering ejector on some days towards the end). Is Fury my favorite? No. Again, it all comes down to preference. I prefer the insanity of the likes of Steel Vengeance, I305 and El Toro to Fury any day.

RMC is uncomfortable? Can you elaborate. I’ve never been on one and I’m scared to go on steel vengeance lol. Are the rides rough like regular wooden coasters?
By TNT Jack
^ No, they aren’t uncomfortable as in “rough” or “painful”. In fact, RMCs are the smoothest coasters I’ve been on (the topper track at least). Many people find them to be a bit too extreme or chaotic for their tastes, as RMCs are often one intense, dramatic element after another taken at a quick pace. Same thing with rides like i305 — many people do not prefer it due to its crazy intensity.
By Capler
dirkdiggler1992 wrote:When I first read the title I though “oh crap what happened”.

You must not frequent Reddit, for example, because outside of their beloved Intamins and RMCs, Fury gets quite a bit of screentime. Anyway, Fury is a jack of all trades and master of none, but it still pops up on many enthusiasts favorites even if it may not be everyone’s number 1. Plus no one cares where it places with the community, what matters is how many asses is it getting through that ticket booth.

Look at I305, although some prefer its intensity, when you buy a giga for your park and a ride like Dominator gets more annual riders, you bought something too intense. Enthusiasts rankings doesn’t bring in dollars for the park, it’s the general public.

Also, if I-305 was that successful, Wonderland and Carowinds would have gotten versions of it. The public loves B&M, and they are the better investment for a park. And another thing, for some strange reason, the public has a preference for looping coasters.
By tarheel1231
Capler wrote:Also, if I-305 was that successful, Wonderland and Carowinds would have gotten versions of it. The public loves B&M, and they are the better investment for a park. And another thing, for some strange reason, the public has a preference for looping coasters.

I think Leviathan and Fury being B&M’s was probably due to the fact that neither had to be redesigned after opening rather than the general public preferring them to Intamin (though I doubt they know or care about either company).
By fishels
TNT Jack wrote:^ No, they aren’t uncomfortable as in “rough” or “painful”. In fact, RMCs are the smoothest coasters I’ve been on (the topper track at least). Many people find them to be a bit too extreme or chaotic for their tastes, as RMCs are often one intense, dramatic element after another taken at a quick pace. Same thing with rides like i305 — many people do not prefer it due to its crazy intensity.

So you’re saying it’s just one element after another with basically no breathing room like you may get on a B&M?

Unfortunately I still have not gotten a chance to ride 305 yet either. I hope I can handle it. I love Fury but I do fiind the first half fairly intense. But generally not uncomfortably so.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit.
By LoveMeSomePrunes
Original.poster...you should ask the moderator to retitle the thread to an accurate one that reflects what you actually meant...confusing.

Fury got Last year's golden ticket if I'm not mistaken. it's certainly consistently in the top 10 since it was opened.

I agree with other posters that I 305 is overly intense vs Fury. It's fun but not something I'll ride over and over like I do on Fury. The graying out thing on I-305 is real; it was a fun novelty at first but I don't want it to happen and it always does anyway, somewhat interferes with your awareness of what's really going on if you can't see everything. I'm glad Fury doesn't do that

RMCs are a blast and I've been fortunate to ride a few including the new one at Kings Dominion and Twisted Colossus at Magic Mountain. I have to say those two rides especially the new one at Kings Dominion are probably one of the most fun roller coasters I've ever been on. The other comment about lots of action continually coming at you with little time to adjust is a good description.

Once Carowinds gets its launch coaster the only thing will really be lacking is an RMC but I'm sure that will come in time the rate they're investing at Carowinds compared to the other us parks. Combined with Fury and I 232 Carowinds will have a knockout collection
By Carowindsman
LoveMeSomePrunes wrote:Original.poster...you should ask the moderator to retitle the thread to an accurate one that reflects what you actually meant...confusing.

Fury got Last year's golden ticket if I'm not mistaken. it's certainly consistently in the top 10 since it was opened.

I updated the title. It was a little confusing when I first wrote it.

I know Fury received Golden ticket and all but I feel like its just there, Like a placeholder. Maybe I am just thinking to much into it.
Fury won best new coaster and the highest ranked coaster in its debut at the Golden Ticket Awards by being ranked #4 best steel coaster. Then in 2016 Fury won #1 and beat Millenium Force by 1 point, AT CEDAR POINT. And then in 2017, Fury beat Millenium Force again and was crowned as the best steel coaster in the world. I know these sound great and all, but I do kind of agree that Fury doesn't get the respect and recognition it deserves. It broke numerous world records including:
1. Tallest giga coaster in the world
2. Fastest giga coaster in the world
3. Tallest coaster with a traditional chain lift
4. World's first steel coaster to crossover and state line/ be in 2 states

I might;ve made the last one up, but considering all these records enthusiasts pick out the smallest things. A slight rattle- how smooth can you expect the ride to be if it's going up and down hills and twists and turns at 95 mph. Some say it's not intense enough. Others say it needs more airtime, which confuses me. I think the roadblock is really Millenium Force and Cedar Point. Millenium raised the bar we passed it, and some people just can;t accept it. But, I've never heard anyone come off and say they didn't like it, so we known we have a phenomenal ride in our park.
1. I’m gonna be a douchebag enthusiast and say Goldrusher was actually the first steel coaster (first coaster period) to ever cross between two states or provinces. :D

2. Just because something breaks records doesn’t mean it deserves critical acclaim (see Top Thrill Dragster).