General Carowinds discussion
By tinotoot
RiDeWaRrIoR wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:Is attendance any lower the first couple weekends in September? My nephew really wants to go this year, but I have zero desire to fight through the crowds and traffic we saw last October.

No, its always busy on Friday's and Saturdays. Sunday's are generally light crowds.

Seconding Sundays. Fridays are a little better than Saturdays but can still be crowded especially later in the season. SCarowinds doesn't operate on Sundays until October 7th. Crowds tend to be light to moderate, usually no more than a 10 minute wait for a maze or ride.
By RiDeWaRrIoR
Also, dont let the line length for mazes fool you. They look very long, but really I think the waits are normally under 30min for a full line, might be up to 45 but I dont think even in the longest line (Depths of Darkness) I waited around 30 min or so last year. They move fairly quickly.
By Glitch99
RiDeWaRrIoR wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:Is attendance any lower the first couple weekends in September? My nephew really wants to go this year, but I have zero desire to fight through the crowds and traffic we saw last October.

No, its always busy on Friday's and Saturdays. Sunday's are generally light crowds.

Scarowinds isnt open on Sundays?
By tinotoot
dirkdiggler1992 wrote:How long till they cancel Scarowinds on Friday?

Honestly it could be night-of or the day before. SCarowinds often tries to operate under these kinds of conditions as long as its not damaging winds and rains. I remember on a night last year I went and there were severe thunderstorms with monsoon like rains and it still operated, they just closed at 10p instead of midnight, so that could potentially happen. We'll just have to wait and see though!
By RiDeWaRrIoR
Scarowinds is closed Friday September 14th.
Attachments
safe_image.jpeg
safe_image.jpeg (85.85 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
By ThatCoasterNerd
MISTER FANBOY wrote:I just hope that it is not closed on Saturday

The bulk of the storm will be hitting the Charlotte area on Saturday and Sunday, so I'm almost positive they will be closed the rest of this weekend, and possibly next weekend for repairs if any are needed.
By sorashaun
ThatCoasterNerd wrote:

The bulk of the storm will be hitting the Charlotte area on Saturday and Sunday, so I'm almost positive they will be closed the rest of this weekend, and possibly next weekend for repairs if any are needed.

There's not a chance they will close next weekend. Maybe this Saturday at most, this storm is being way overexaggerated in Charlotte.
By ThatCoasterNerd
sorashaun wrote:
ThatCoasterNerd wrote:

There's not a chance they will close next weekend. Maybe this Saturday at most, this storm is being way overexaggerated in Charlotte.

We’re gonna be getting up to 20 inches of rain in 48 hours as well as up to 50-60 mph wind gusts. There will be damages at Carowinds. There will probably be shingles blown off and some trees fallen. They’re gonna need a week to do any repairs they need to do. They won’t be open at all tomorrow or Sunday, and there’s a slight chance they won’t be open next weekend either.
By dirkdiggler1992
I bet y’all also put chains on y’alls tires and stock up on flashlights when there is an inch of snow on the ground. The park will be open next weekend. If Busch Gardens Tampa can get back going a couple days after a Cat 4+ hurricane than surely we can handle some gusts of wind and some rain.
By Glitch99
ThatCoasterNerd wrote:
sorashaun wrote:
ThatCoasterNerd wrote:The bulk of the storm will be hitting the Charlotte area on Saturday and Sunday, so I'm almost positive they will be closed the rest of this weekend, and possibly next weekend for repairs if any are needed.

We’re gonna be getting up to 20 inches of rain in 48 hours as well as up to 50-60 mph wind gusts. There will be damages at Carowinds. There will probably be shingles blown off and some trees fallen. They’re gonna need a week to do any repairs they need to do. They won’t be open at all tomorrow or Sunday, and there’s a slight chance they won’t be open next weekend either.

The expected rainfall at the Charlotte airport was increased to 10 inches last night.
The over-hyped "up to" amounts include what's expected on the front lines along the coast. There will be a good rainstorm, but nothing to get particularly excited about, and nothing that won't be cleaned up while they're closed anyways.

The biggest reason they'll be closed all weekend is because it won't be worth staying open, not because they can't stay open.