General Carowinds discussion
By yawetag
HiveDive wrote:The Kings island giga is almost certainly going to cost almost 30 million dollars, Banshee, a ride with a track length of 4,100 ft cost 24 million dollars, the new Kings island giga will have 1,000+ more track length then Banshee, factor in inflation and it becomes apparent your 15 million dollar assumption is wildly inaccurate. Considering Carowinds is getting a new hotel next year I don’t see them getting any major investments, perhaps we may see the rapids ride get a retheme.

You're right, and my $15MM was an estimate without doing any research at all. That makes the available capital even less.
By coasterbruh
The hotel opens THIS year. You guys aren't understanding the key element is new capital for 2020. The funds for the hotel will not come out of it, if they acquire the water park in Kansas City, it won't come out of it. They also don't split it evenly amongst the parks so you really can't say "x" amount per park.
By yawetag
coasterbruh wrote:if they acquire the water park in Kansas City, it won't come out of it.

For the third time: I'm not talking about the actual purchase of the park. I'm talking about any new rides, adjustments to rides and buildings, and the installation of systems that operate with Cedar Point's already-existing systems. All of those fall under CapEx, and with two (potentially three) new parks under the Cedar Fair banner, there's going to be a push for the 2020 season to improve the park and make sure your platinum pass will get you in the gate.
By coasterbruh
First you said . . .
yawetag wrote:Taking the $6 million out to get the KC water park, that leaves $131 for 16 parks

Then you said . . .
yawetag wrote:
For the third time: I'm not talking about the actual purchase of the park.

Do you know what you're talking about lol? :crazy: :clap: :lol: :shifty:

Also, I do foresee Cedar fair adding anything to the Schlitterbahn water parks next year and if something does show up it could very well be the last remnants of the previous owners. For instance, Cedar Fair purchased Knott's in 1997 but the original owners had already sealed the deal and paid for GhostRider. It may have looked like a Cedar Fair addition but it was not. And it doesn't take millions to implement systems to be aligned with the current cedar fair system. We aren't talking about a park being brought up from the stone ages.
By yawetag
coasterbruh wrote:First you said . . .
yawetag wrote:Taking the $6 million out to get the KC water park, that leaves $131 for 16 parks

Then you said . . .
yawetag wrote:
For the third time: I'm not talking about the actual purchase of the park.

Do you know what you're talking about lol? :crazy: :clap: :lol: :shifty:

I stand corrected. That $6mm can go toward the KI Giga that I undershot on cost.
By coasterbruh
Hard to say. This is "christmas" season for us as a lot of parks will be sporatically announcing things. Like Great America just announced the rebranding of their water park out of the blue. I would just pay more attention to their social outlets.
By coasterbruh
^I don't think they will revisit Carolina Harbor just yet . . .

Coasterphreak wrote:Water slides aren't particularly expensive...

Which is why they are revamping their entire water park. South Nay Shores will
include a 6 slide complex, a lagoon with several kid size slides, a new restaurant, a new bar, a sand beach area, new changing areas and lots of other stuff.

Basically, they are getting a slightly smaller version of Carolina Harbor's expansion. Which is, in it's own right, still an expensive multi-million undertaking.
By Christopher Mallis
They’re starting to move further down into the lot...they took the gates off of that “drop off” that was never used. South Gate is staying even though they won’t use it much until they decide what they’re doing with Dino alive.
By Coasterphreak
coasterbruh wrote:^I don't think they will revisit Carolina Harbor just yet . . .

Coasterphreak wrote:Water slides aren't particularly expensive...

Which is why they are revamping their entire water park. South Nay Shores will
include a 6 slide complex, a lagoon with several kid size slides, a new restaurant, a new bar, a sand beach area, new changing areas and lots of other stuff.

Basically, they are getting a slightly smaller version of Carolina Harbor's expansion. Which is, in it's own right, still an expensive multi-million undertaking.

You missed my point: I think that if we see any additions next year, it'll be a new slide complex or some other minor addition to CH, because that's cheap, relatively speaking. I think most of the CapEx we'll see for 2020 will be stuff that enthusiasts notice like infrastructure and demolition to make way for new attractions, but that's not stuff on the general public's radar and they have to have something "New for 2020!" that they can plaster across their advertising.

e: for the record, I could not care less if they add something to the waterpark, it's not really my jam. I'd love to see them put every dollar into futureproofing, but Charlotte is a growth market so I'm speculating that there will be something.
By KevDad01
I believe that Vortex is going to be demolished to make way for some new land surrounding that whole area of the park (Which lately has been kind of dead). Maybe they might put a smaller Frisbee ride or maybe a small family attraction such as a tilt-a-whirl as a replacement. Maybe like what happened to Shockwave at Kings Dominion.