General Carowinds discussion
By LoveMeSomePrunes
#103372
formeryogi wrote:
I'm about to talk out of two sides of my mouth. I desperately think the park needs more attractions like "The Carolina" to be a park that attracts multi-generation guests. In addition, it visually adds charm and interest to the visuals of the park.

But at the same time, I have to say, nobody rode it when it was there. It was just a slow moving boat. Now back during the "glory days," there was a dixieland jazz band on the second deck. My favorite time was when the live shows performers created their own project and the boat was used as a show stage and the performers came riding up to the dock hanging off the railings dressed in period "show boat" costumes... now that ADDED FLAVOR AND ATMOSPHERE to the park.

I admit some of attractions don't pass the pencil test when you factor in ridership, labor and maintenance costs (The Carolina, a stream train, etc) BUT they are needed if Carowinds will be more than a regional amusement park.

Grandparents, and even younger parents who don't do thrill rides, need things to do to get them in the gate with their families. Those people may not "ride" much, but they are the ones who buy food and stuffed bears for their kids.


lets's see: attract seniors (fixed income, less disposable income, with tastes that don't match current day popular tastes)
OR
attract parents with disposable income and teenagers and seeking thrills, and willing to pay for expensive upgrades like season passes, fast passes, drink passes, lockers, and concerts.

It's about the $. Which would YOU choose as an owner with responsibility to max profits for shareholders? It's not going to be the barber shop quartet and showboat, I can tell you that.
By uscbandfan
#103392
cwgator wrote:The Jalopies used to be where White Water Falls was. It used the same entrance. Speedway was were Vortex sits.

http://www.carowindsearlyyears.com/jalopies2.html
Image



I remember "Speedway" used the same station house as the monorail for it's queue. Speedway was on the first floor and monorail was on the second floor.

speedwayVM.jpg
speedwayVM.jpg (151.16 KiB) Viewed 947 times
By phareous
#103394
I have great childhood memories of riding Monorail, Speedway Cars, and Jalopies. The Vortex opened when I was a teenager and I really have no good memories of riding that. I worked that ride too (as a sub when rapids was constantly broke) and people seemed enthusiastic about it then, but there really weren't many alternatives available then

If Carowinds had a car ride, I would so love to take my kids on it. I know Disney still has these, but haven't seen them much outside of that.
User avatar
By formeryogi
#103395
LoveMeSomePrunes wrote:
formeryogi wrote:
I'm about to talk out of two sides of my mouth. I desperately think the park needs more attractions like "The Carolina" to be a park that attracts multi-generation guests. In addition, it visually adds charm and interest to the visuals of the park.

But at the same time, I have to say, nobody rode it when it was there. It was just a slow moving boat. Now back during the "glory days," there was a dixieland jazz band on the second deck. My favorite time was when the live shows performers created their own project and the boat was used as a show stage and the performers came riding up to the dock hanging off the railings dressed in period "show boat" costumes... now that ADDED FLAVOR AND ATMOSPHERE to the park.

I admit some of attractions don't pass the pencil test when you factor in ridership, labor and maintenance costs (The Carolina, a stream train, etc) BUT they are needed if Carowinds will be more than a regional amusement park.

Grandparents, and even younger parents who don't do thrill rides, need things to do to get them in the gate with their families. Those people may not "ride" much, but they are the ones who buy food and stuffed bears for their kids.


lets's see: attract seniors (fixed income, less disposable income, with tastes that don't match current day popular tastes)
OR
attract parents with disposable income and teenagers and seeking thrills, and willing to pay for expensive upgrades like season passes, fast passes, drink passes, lockers, and concerts.

It's about the $. Which would YOU choose as an owner with responsibility to max profits for shareholders? It's not going to be the barber shop quartet and showboat, I can tell you that.


Obviously you are young and you haven't experienced life with kids/teens yet and you missed my point.

There is a lesson in life that you will admit is true as you get wiser: "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody is happy."

For example, my wife (who is not old by the way), hates Carowinds. Because SHE doesn't want to go, that means our teens haven't gone as much as I did when I was their age. She's simply not into thrill rides and don't want us to buy season passes.

Any smart business looks for ways to "expand' their customer base. I didn't advocate exclusively adding barbershop quartets or showboats. The point is, if you add a few multi-generational attractions, then maybe additional customers would actually go through the gate. Not all older people are on fixed incomes. Some have money burning through their pockets that they would love to spend on the grandchild. In fact these days, often a grandparent is the primary caregiver of small children during the day while the parents are at work. If there were a few attractions that appealed to non thrill ride customers, maybe those grandparents would take their grandkids to planet snoopy and then spend money in the shops and restaurants.

Parents with teens may actually come in rather than dropping them off at the front gate to run around unsupervised. That doesn't mean a mom would stay with her teens the whole time. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the mom and another mother came with their teens and did their own thing for several hours? Maybe the moms and teens would meet up lunch (moms have the money!). The bonus would be there would be a little bit more supervision (ask security if they have more trouble with teens who are alone or teens who have parents somewhere in the park).

I'm personally not in favor of an amusement park full of thrill rides and carnival rides. Apparently plenty of others agree-- in addition to Universal/Disney, think Dollywood and Knott's.

And one day soon, when Carowinds builds an athletic complex to fill the hotel, the parents who tag along are going to want something besides thrill rides. Thrill rides do pump up attendance but you've got to be well rounded.
Last edited by formeryogi on September 4th, 2018, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By uscbandfan
#103398
To that point, my parents dropped off my daughter to meet with other friends at Carowinds last year. My parents didn't go in because they're older and they say there's nothing for them to do. They don't like the heat and don't ride the rides. However, if there were a couple of stage shows and a Jalopies ride or something like that, I could see them going in too. I'm sure they would love to ride in the back of a Jalopy while my daughter "took-the wheel".
By JWitter
#103400
It's a bit more difficult to speculate on this, due to Carowinds not fully announcing their plans for the 7 acre area announced this year. But here I go.

2020: Nothing fancy here, a redesign of the southgate, and reconfiguration of the parking lot between here and the waterpark, maybe even a new side walk for pedestrians, and certainly an expansion of the waterpark entry gates. Possibly a small new flat ride, or addition to the kids area.

2021: Water park expansion, new slide complex or 2, additional kids attraction, and possibly forbidden frontier or similar (assuming it is popular at CP next year?) Add in a Vortex conversion for good measure.

2022: Minor upgrades/changes in preparation for the 50th anniversary announcement. Maybe a new flat ride or two(since y'all always swoon over the idea :lol: )

2023: The worlds first wood/steel hybrid launched racing coasters as an homage to White Lightin/Thunder Road.
By dirkdiggler1992
#103402
I’m bored with nothing else to do at the moment. I wouldn’t mind seeing the same 2016-2019 addition strategy repeated again:

2020: water park addition; water coaster or mat Racer is an easy choice, they’re really popular right now and probably the only thing that would get me in our water park.

2021: pair of big flat rides; again frisbees or Screamin Swings are a popular choice but I wouldn’t mind Carowinds being a little more creative and adding more quirky flats like we’ve seen added at Canada’s Wonderland. As far as location Crossroads or Thrill Zone are certainly areas needing the upgrades, or in place of Vortex.

2022: yeah pretty basic but Camp Snoopy expansion into Dino’s space with inclusion of antique cars.

2023: this isn’t necessarily what I want to see but what would be good for the park...B&M Dive coaster in place of Nighthawk. Retain the nice water and tree setting while diving underwater. This will replace a low capacity ride that isn’t the most reliable or popular with a crowd pleasing ride type has brought in great reception for CP (of course I want a GCI).
User avatar
By cwgator
#103403
dirkdiggler1992 wrote:2023: this isn’t necessarily what I want to see but what would be good for the park...B&M Dive coaster in place of Nighthawk. Retain the nice water and tree setting while diving underwater. This will replace a low capacity ride that isn’t the most reliable or popular with a crowd pleasing ride type has brought in great reception for CP (of course I want a GCI).


After reading this, I just came to the realization that Carowinds would be the most likely candidate for a Dive Coaster in the CF chain. I would personally rather have something else, but it would bring in the crowds. I still get tickled when I'm at BGT and see the amazement from those watching SheiKra from the ground. To them it's the neatest thing ever. I'm just over here like "okay"...lol
By dirkdiggler1992
#103404
cwgator wrote:
dirkdiggler1992 wrote:2023: this isn’t necessarily what I want to see but what would be good for the park...B&M Dive coaster in place of Nighthawk. Retain the nice water and tree setting while diving underwater. This will replace a low capacity ride that isn’t the most reliable or popular with a crowd pleasing ride type has brought in great reception for CP (of course I want a GCI).


After reading this, I just came to the realization that Carowinds would be the most likely candidate for a Dive Coaster in the CF chain. I would personally rather have something else, but it would bring in the crowds. I still get tickled when I'm at BGT and see the amazement from those watching SheiKra from the ground. To them it's the neatest thing ever. I'm just over here like "okay"...lol


Yeah the public loves these Dive coasters. They are imposing without actually being “scary”. It would add to our skyline and make for a nice plaza attraction. I absolutely hate vests and I’m not crazy about Dive coasters to begin with but it would certainly be a major improvement on what currently exists in its spot in every measure (ridership, reliability, capacity, etc).

I think a Gerstlauer Infininty would also work there but the ride experience of hangtime inversions with lapbars would feel a little too similar to that of Copperhead Strike. I want to see a wooden coaster at the park but I don’t see that being the best location for it.
User avatar
By RiDeWaRrIoR
#103407
How about remove nighthawk and put a dive into the "pond" and under the path :) that would be cool. Not a fan of dive coasters, but no matter what we get in the future, I will ride it and enjoy it :P
By Zaythecarowindsfan1
#103545
RiDeWaRrIoR wrote:How about remove nighthawk and put a dive into the "pond" and under the path :) that would be cool. Not a fan of dive coasters, but no matter what we get in the future, I will ride it and enjoy it :P


:clap: great idea and I would love this, but Nighthawk is the GPs favorite ride :(
User avatar
By RiDeWaRrIoR
#103558
Haha! I dont know if it their favorite ride, but its the first thing you come to, and one of the first things you see. I do love to hear peoples reaction when they see it though! It doesn't seem like its been as popular this year, but I could be wrong. I know a lot of times there was one train ops on it, mainly during the week which made sense. Haven't rode it this year I dont think..
By Zaythecarowindsfan1
#103570
I think something will happen with intimidator, it is the 10th year. I say they redo the paint and add lockers. Also see something added to the waterpark to go with Copperhead Strike.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 9

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest