General Carowinds discussion
User avatar
By aoriole19
#103663
Why would it matter whether it's a "theoretical" problem? It's perfectly reasonable to not want to leave your belongings in a position that they could be stolen, even if it hasn't yet happened to you or anyone you knew.

Here's a more extreme example that demonstrates why I think your line of reasoning is flawed. Let's say there was a giant button at Carowinds that if you pressed it, all the rides would spontaneously crash. You would assume that nobody in their right mind would press this button, right? Let's even say nobody has ever pressed this button in all the years the park has been open. So then, by your argument, that makes the button a theoretical problem and not an actual problem, and it would be perfectly fine to leave this button lying around. But we definitely don't think that's the case! They should get rid of the button since it's not necessary and it's theoretically possible for someone to be evil enough to press it. Similarly, bins are not necessary because they have another alternative (i.e. lockers)

TL;DR it doesn't matter whether people actually steal or not, it's still a reasonable concern.
By Christopher Mallis
#103664
I know everybody is saying antique cars need to come to the park for a nice attraction, and I agree that they do, but we have to think outside of the box! What else could Carowinds get that is similar to antique cars? Honestly I’m really stumped and don’t know...any suggestions?
By fonzlinney
#103666
I like the idea of a better train with a longer track also we need a Ferris wheel and bringing back the monorail would be great. Another Indoor dark ride with minor theming of the Carolinas.
By LoveMeSomePrunes
#103668
super7 wrote:
Cedar Fair has maxed out the lower income thrill seeker market. If they want to continue to increase revenue, they need to find ways to attract the higher income 40's to 60s.


Do you have a report or some data that have led you to state this as a conclusion, or is it more your opinion? I mean it's fine to have an opinion, everyone has them.
But where did you get the data that the lower income market is maxed out?
(younger age? or just poor people in general?)

If you mean younger kids with less money, then I would agree that it'd be nice to have family rides people can do together. My late 70's age dad went on the drop tower at Kings Dominon multiple times and loved it. We were all worried he'd have a heart attack.

My opinion is that people all like different things. I just think the parks need something EXCITING to drive season ticket sales (providing a base of economic stability for the park) and to drive add ons like meal plans and fast passes. I don't see older people dying to consume lots of fried and fat laden food every 90 minutes or drink lots of soda the way the younger folks do. They're prone to go want a leisurely meal of better quality food. I would guess they are somewhat looking at their watch about 5:00 pm thinking "are we done yet" so they can leave the park for a decent meal somewhere else.

Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Six Flags...NONE of them are trying to be Disney. If anything, they're the poor man's Disney. Disney has VERY VERY VERY few thrill rides. The experience is the theme. It's also 10 hours away. Best local option for older folks who can't get to Disney is Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Again, another park with more theme and a lot fewer thrill rides than most amusement parks.

I don't fault you for wanting more rides that are slow and won't give a heart attack, but personally you can't brag about them as much as park management for marketing reasons. Not going to bring the bodies to the park.
By uscbandfan
#103674
Glitch99 wrote:
uscbandfan wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:This is off topic, but how many times are there actual issues with stuff getting stolen like that? Unless you are accusing the employees, which would be painfully obvious to anyone standing in line, the bin is only accessible to those on your train.


Not accusing operators. If you think the bins are only accessible to your train, THINK AGAIN. Last time I rode Intimidator, ALL of the bins were open. You could reach into any bin and pull out anything and keep on going. It's wide open. People were throwing their stuff into bins at the same time as others were still trying to take things out. (not to mention the bin from the other train was wide open as well.) You must also think everyone on YOUR train is a good guy. As much as you want to believe EVERYONE will do the right thing... it only takes ONE to ruin someone's day.

That said, Dollywood DOES rely on their operators to manage the bins (for the few rides that use bins). You never touch the bin. The operator opens the bin that corresponds to your train and you hand your stuff to the operator who then puts it into the bin in a slot corresponding to your seat and closes the bin before you leave the station.

Not to say something still couldn't be stolen but lockers solves the problem COMPLETELY as well as helps with the turnaround speed.

I'll ask again - how many times is stuff getting stolen like that even an issue? Any "evidence" I may have is equally anecdotal, but it seems like more of a theoretical problem.

It does boil down to a difference of opinion, but what you see as a solution I see as little more than nickle-and-diming people who've already spent a lot to get into the park.



I don't consider things possibly getting stolen as a MAIN issue. It's just one of the several. I try and spend as little as I can at the park and I hate the $2 lockers for every time I ride Fury (not for my stuff because I wear cargo shorts but because my wife refuses to not carry a bag around.) That said, I would GLADLY pay the $5 or $7 to have floating lockers and pay one time for the entire day. Bring it on!!!!
By dirkdiggler1992
#103675
Kings Dominion is offering all season locker rental for the first time next season, I believe it is $99 for an entire season. I’m sure they and maybe Kings Island could possibly add the movable locker program that CP began this year. Either way lockers is the new business, personally I leave everything in my car when I go to Carowinds, I’m not giving them $2 to ride Fury a couple times, my cell phone isn’t that important.
User avatar
By Thrill Capture
#103723
I think Vortex will be removed in all honesty. It would open up the area a lot. They could add a Giant Discovery and an antique car ride that can go over the lake. That's the only part of the park I can see an antique car ride go (besides Blue Ride Junction) and would really add to the peaceful theme of Carousel Park. The Giant Discovery would probably be part of Boardwalk with the relocation of the bathroom under Vortex's drop or in Celebration Plaza(formerly Carowinds Plaza) next to skytower.

I think Nighthawk will get a Vekoma refurb like Python at Efteling due to the rides' popularity and possibly make the station a dueling loading station using the Urgent Scare plot of land.

I also think Thrill Zone will get a complete makeover and get the County Fair treatment by adding a reliable superloop, a disko, and some other thrilling flat to actually make this area live up to its name. Fury imo doesn't really feel like it's part of the area and is more off to the side on it's own. That path between Cyclone's turn after the vertical loops and drop tower is so bland and really needs some attention over there. I remember before that "Big One" arcade area they had a Coca Cola mist refresh station which was really nice. I think adding the superloop over there in the middle of the midway or putting it on the plot of land next to drop tower would be awesome.
User avatar
By tarheel1231
#103724
^ Agree with everything in this post, except I don’t know if there is space for a double-load station for Nighthawk. In all likelihood I think it would get new or modified trains that tilt in the lift hill/brake run to speed up the loading process.

Antique Cars would fit perfectly in Vortex’s plot, and it would actually make sense given that the plot that used to hold Vortex was an Autos attraction. Still, I think they may just end up converting it.
By sorashaun
#103726
tarheel1231 wrote:^ Agree with everything in this post, except I don’t know if there is space for a double-load station for Nighthawk. In all likelihood I think it would get new or modified trains that tilt in the lift hill/brake run to speed up the loading process.

Antique Cars would fit perfectly in Vortex’s plot, and it would actually make sense given that the plot that used to hold Vortex was an Autos attraction. Still, I think they may just end up converting it.


There's plenty of space for a double station, there's a service area between the current station and Goldrusher.
User avatar
By Thrill Capture
#103859
tarheel1231 wrote:There is, but that space is used to house the line for haunt. That, and it'd probably be cheaper to just order new trains or modify the current ones. Either way, hopefully they can fix the capacity problem.


Well I assume the remaining parts of Firehawk will be used on Nighthawk, then probably 2024 Nighthawk will go bye bye, Vortex as well. It would open up so much space to expand Celebration Plaza pass behind that stage they use for "Turn it Up". They could make it like International Street at KI and KD. In 2025 I could see a 225ft. B&M dive going right in Nighthawk's spot.
By Christopher Mallis
#103861
Thrill Capture wrote:
tarheel1231 wrote:There is, but that space is used to house the line for haunt. That, and it'd probably be cheaper to just order new trains or modify the current ones. Either way, hopefully they can fix the capacity problem.


Well I assume the remaining parts of Firehawk will be used on Nighthawk, then probably 2024 Nighthawk will go bye bye, Vortex as well. It would open up so much space to expand Celebration Plaza pass behind that stage they use for "Turn it Up". They could make it like International Street at KI and KD. In 2025 I could see a 225ft. B&M dive going right in Nighthawk's spot.

If the dive coaster happens which it probably will in the next couple of years because cedar fair has added 3 in the last 3 years they should make a funnel in the lake like Canada’s Wonderland, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Carowinds only uses the nighthawk plot of land for a dive coaster
By phareous
#103862
Would be nice if they made it go under the bridge where the train ride used to be.. I'm sure they could get creative and reroute the service road if they were motivated
User avatar
By cwgator
#103865
Just when you thought the idea of a coaster going under that bridge (that was rebuilt lower in 2015) died with Intimidator & Fury 325. Now a Dive Coaster under the bridge has made it's way around....lol

So is this thread about what could realistically come in 2020, or another wish list? :think:

2020 will likely be a Carolina Harbor addition or thrilling flat, along with continued enhancements around the park. I don't see anything happening in the DA area until at least 2021 or 2022. It's off to the side...no hurry to get something to replace it when it closes next year (based on the other closures to date).
User avatar
By Justin
#103938
Thrill Capture wrote:I think Nighthawk will get a Vekoma refurb like Python at Efteling due to the rides' popularity and possibly make the station a dueling loading station using the Urgent Scare plot of land.


Do you mean Carolina Cyclone? Because that is exactly the same roller coaster as Carolina Cyclone.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests