General Carowinds discussion
By yawetag
Any word on why it was removed from Carowinds' website? My daughter is not happy. :)
By coasterbruh
It's the offseason so things can be removed and added. I would suggest continuing the current dialogue about it that is taking place in the "general" thread as that is where you would get most of your general information from.
By formeryogi
yawetag wrote:Any word on why it was removed from Carowinds' website? My daughter is not happy. :)

Good spot!

I agree the disappearance is strange. There is no logical reason why they would remove one major attraction from the website in the middle of the off season.

I think a new thread on this is justified-- especially if this turns out to be something. I wouldn't weed through the "general" thread for previous information... it's way too long and too varied. This is specific.
By yawetag
formeryogi wrote:I think a new thread on this is justified-- especially if this turns out to be something. I wouldn't weed through the "general" thread for previous information... it's way too long and too varied. This is specific.

In fairness, someone else here spotted it and casually mentioned it. I decided a new thread would be appropriate, especially if it's a season-long closure. Maybe an upgrade? Maybe being removed?

Either way, my daughter was sad. We moved to the area this summer and visited the park one day. She and my wife got in line and, after an hour and being able to see the loading area, they closed the ride for a thunderstorm approaching.

We bought season tickets for this year. Now she'll maybe never get to ride it. On a bright side, she might be willing to try Goldrusher. Other than that, it looks like she'll be spending a lot of time on Wilderness Run and the Scrambler.
By Cameron
This is a win/win honestly. Either it's getting a major renovation or being removed completely. Either one I'm totally okay with.
By RollerBee
If Carowinds ditchs Rapids, I want a Log Flume.....

If Carowinds keeps Rapids, #ReturnTheTunnel. So Bob Ivey can take the tunnel. Hehe....

Team Rapids here!

Closed the waterpark instead.... :thumbup:

:sarcasm: Warning on the waterpark, I am aware it will never happen.
By Christopher Mallis
If they remove it, there will be no more water rides in the park. Here are what I think could possibly happen:

1) a renovation of rapids similar to Knott’s Berry Farm
2) removal of ride for a thrill zone/carousel park expansion
3) removed and sitting vacant until something could be placed in the land
By yawetag
RollerBee wrote:If Carowinds ditchs Rapids, I want a Log Flume.....

If Carowinds keeps Rapids, #ReturnTheTunnel. So Bob Ivey can take the tunnel. Hehe....

Team Rapids here!

#TeamRapids

Print the shirts and sell them on Carowinds Blvd.
By jeffdavis
Capacity was so low that the last couple seasons we weren't willing to wait in the line. A better loading/unloading system and more staff would solve that. I've seen the rotating loading platform at another park work very well.

In my mind if the ride was getting an upgrade and opening this summer it would still be listed on the website. So I think it will be closed for all of 2019 and possibly forever.
By Glitch99
jeffdavis wrote:Capacity was so low that the last couple seasons we weren't willing to wait in the line.

That's my thinking as well. The constant long line was due to it moving so slow, as much as it was from popularity. Relatively low volume, a lot of prime real estate, limited operating season, and it's got to be one of the more expensive rides to operate. That site should be on everyone's short list of possible redevelopment options.
By uscbandfan
Redevelop the ride into an 8 or 10 passenger "boat". Those 6 passenger boats are WAY too small. Of course, to do that would be to reconfigure the course to have a larger "river" and there's not a lot of room in that specific location.

Hmmmm... Maybe dinos area would be a GREAT place for that... or for a flume. (Granted I still want a woodie of some kind in that area.)

If they are planning on removing the Paladium, then that would open up a HUGE area for it... or a woodie. :D (I don't see that going away any time soon though.)

Whatever they do... "KEEP A WATER RIDE (or two) IN THE DRY PARK!"
By coasterbruh
Ok, disregard anything I said. Continue :shifty: :wink:
By cwgator
The page is still there....sort of. The Rider Safety Information is still there. The graphics and general ride information are removed.

https://www.carowinds.com/play/rides/rip-roarin-rapids

I say it's time for a good refurbishment like they are doing at Knott's. I agree it needs at least the 8-person rafts like Infinity Falls at SWO has. They are quite compact. No need to remove it with it being the last water ride in the dry park.
By Cameron
I'm probably in the minority here but I think water rides outside the water park are a waste of space. If I want to get wet I'll just go to the waterpark.

I honestly hope it's getting removed. Seeing what's going on with the one at knott's it's looking 50/50
By dirkdiggler1992
I wouldn’t go as far to say they’re a waste of space but I wouldn’t take “it’s the last water attraction in the main park” as a way to say the attraction is invincible. When any attraction gets to the point of maintenance upkeep costing more than it’s value is bringing to the park, it could face removal. Knott’s is sorta in a different situation as they’re more of a “theme park”/year round in a warmer climate, so revamping Bigfoot rapids is a no brainer.