General Carowinds discussion
By LocoDriver
As I did with the Goldrusher thread, I'm curious as to what everyone's ideas are on retheming the RipRoarinRapids.

Here's my thoughts. I really think that this ride has become stale. With the removal/collapse of the tunnel and nothing to replace it I think it's time to spruce up with some theming.

I'm not sure if Paramount owned the rights to the old Saturday morning show "Land of the Lost", but if they did then this would be a great theme to the water rafting experience. Add some Dinasour theming and the infamous Sleestacks to the maze with some overgown vegatation and then you would have a ride that's worth traversing for other than just a quick cool down lap.

How about keeping it themed to the Carolina's. They could make this a journey down the Catawba or PeeDee river. Don't know what they could do with this but something is better that nothing (which imo is what they have now). Just spruce it up by adding some landscaping. Maybe some old native indian stuff to theme too the Cawtaba or Lumbee Indians. Heck just build a new tunnel. Any suggestions?
By montumax
I've always thought that this is where they should make a Congo section or at least theme the ride to the Congo. They could demolish the Paladium and use it for the area. They could put a floorless, hyper, or even a woodie in this section. I've always thought that the Rip Roaring Rapids was in a "dead end" area and they could spruce it up.
By MarkD
I have always like Rip Roarin Rapids but I do agree some major Theme around it woud livin it up. Your Land of the Lost is a great idea but lets add on to it.
1- make the entrance like a cave/portal where you can't see all the way thru.
2- Continue the "cave" experience with little portals about to see bits of the ride
3- In the cave/queue add lighting, water dripping, a few characters sprinkled in to view.
4- Add good theme music thruought the queue and ride.
5- Add an overhead walkway from the lemonade stand at the entrance that would go over beside Subway and add some shooting jets of water that the public could unleash on you while riding.
6- Add fake mountains around the backdrop so you could not see anything else and would make you feel enclosed.
7- Have the Fun Techs wear worn out clothing like they have been stranded for years on the island
8- Replace the old tunnel with a new updated cave complete with water fall and "scenes" on the inside.

Any more?
By Trev32
iv'e got two. put more boats so the stupid line will move faster!,sence there is a huge lack of boats(i think there is 8) you wait like an hour to ride somthing you hardly get wet on ,and return that tunnel!! last time i rode it i barley got wet cause of it! i remember the two waterfalls(or was it one?) at the front and end of it,i used to get off SOAKED!

because the tunnel is removed it is hardly a water ride anymore
By LocoDriver
I like all the ideas so far. I do think they have more than 8 boats though. I'm down with removing the Paladium for a Floorless or Hyper etc. I've never understood why they've kept the Paladium around. Just seems like to me that it doesn't get used much anymore with all the stiff competition in the Charlotte area for concert venues.

Does any other Paramount Park have a facility like this? I know PKD doesn't.
By Dukeis#1
Kings Island has a concert facility, and I'm fairly sure that Canada's Wonderland and Great America California have them as well.

My honest opinion is that they should remove Rip Roarin Rapids all together. It is one of the sorriest river rapids rides I've ever been on, and is boring compared to the ones at Busch Gardens, Dollywood and evan Six Flags. The only nice thing about it is it's length.

But, I would probably re-theme it to logging in western NC & SC . You could have run-ins with Bears, Beavers, and Buzz Saws. And eventually come to an old saw-mill where you would encounter several dangerous pieces of equipment.

I would also restore the Water Cannons, which have not been working quite right for several years now. Maybe add a giant Waterfall that the rafts would go under or something as well.
By Jonathan
One thing they did do for this year that surprised me was modify the waterfall coming down beside the track so that it gets part of the boat absolutely soaked now. The waterfall used to fall so that it didn't even come close to touching the boat, but this year they put something at the top to extend the waterfall out, so now it comes crashing down onto one side of the boat.
By coasterbruh
Personally i feel its fine the way it us. The ride was intended to be a wild river rapids. Which in return cause for no theme except vegetation and the ocassional rock work. However i think the cave should return the gysers should be insync. As far as a theme the only one i think would work is the congo one since it was located in a jungle.
By wrbcltnc
Dukeis#1 wrote: Kings Island has a concert facility, and I'm fairly sure that Canada's Wonderland and Great America California have them as well.

My honest opinion is that they should remove Rip Roarin Rapids all together. It is one of the sorriest river rapids rides I've ever been on, and is boring compared to the ones at Busch Gardens, Dollywood and evan Six Flags. The only nice thing about it is it's length.

But, I would probably re-theme it to logging in western NC & SC . You could have run-ins with Bears, Beavers, and Buzz Saws. And eventually come to an old saw-mill where you would encounter several dangerous pieces of equipment.

I would also restore the Water Cannons, which have not been working quite right for several years now. Maybe add a giant Waterfall that the rafts would go under or something as well.

The Saw Mill idea would be prefect. A lot easier to mantain than the old cave.
By Trev32
Dukeis#1 wrote: Kings Island has a concert facility, and I'm fairly sure that Canada's Wonderland and Great America California have them as well.

My honest opinion is that they should remove Rip Roarin Rapids all together.  It is one of the sorriest river rapids rides I've ever been on, and is boring compared to the ones at Busch Gardens, Dollywood and evan Six Flags.  The only nice thing about it is it's length.

But, I would probably re-theme it to logging in western NC & SC .  You could have run-ins with Bears, Beavers, and Buzz Saws.  And eventually come to an old saw-mill where you would encounter several dangerous pieces of equipment.

I would also restore the Water Cannons, which have not been working quite right for several years now.  Maybe add a giant Waterfall that the rafts would go under or something as well.

first off,i know this has absouloutley nothing to do with the subject,but in your sig duke what does "Ghost Town in the the sky(currently SNBOin maggie valley) "mean? i just wanna know what the SNBO means,

and back onto the topic i think they should either get rid of rip roarin rapids or make it to where you actually get wet! yeah you get off a little wet(maybe from your knees down) but your supposed to get soaked on that thing and do you,hmmm,NO! ;) o and why don't the get rid of that concert stage?? i've never seen it used
By Dukeis#1
Trev32 wrote: first off,i know this has absouloutley nothing to do with the subject,but in your sig duke what does "Ghost Town in the the sky(currently SNBOin maggie valley) "mean? i just wanna know what the SNBO means,

and back onto the topic i think they should either get rid of rip roarin rapids or make it to where you actually get wet! yeah you get off a little wet(maybe from your knees down) but your supposed to get soaked on that thing and do you,hmmm,NO! ;) o and why don't the get rid of that concert stage?? i've never seen it used

SBNO Means Standing But Not Operating. Ghost Town is currently closed due to finacial problems.
By Trev32
o,darn that red devil thing looked fun,is it coming back?
By montumax
Trev32 wrote: o,darn that red devil thing looked fun,is it coming back?

Well, if its standing but not operating, its not going anywhere :D

Maybe the park will reopen next year. Last I heard, it wasn't looking too good. But, cross your fingers.
By CarowindsZone
I heard they were closed because the owner wants to retire. The price tag is 8 million. I dont think the park is worth it. I hear most of the rides are in bad condition.
By Trev32
i still wanna ride red devil i went to the site and it said right outta the station it does a drop into the loop, the coaster train looks like hurlers train only differen't color to me