General Carowinds discussion
Glitch99 wrote:Memorial day is still a possibility, if society accepts the need to learn to live with this virus, rather than hide from it indefinitely.

That is definitely what does not need to happen. #StayAtHome
Chris wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:Memorial day is still a possibility, if society accepts the need to learn to live with this virus, rather than hide from it indefinitely.

Per Governor Cooper at his press conference today, the Coca Cola 600 will run Memorial Day weekend. I personally think that if Governor Cooper believes it is safe enough to run a race at Charlotte then maybe the Governor will think the same about amusement parks.
#LetsGoRacing
RollerBee wrote:
Chris wrote:

Per Governor Cooper at his press conference today, the Coca Cola 600 will run Memorial Day weekend. I personally think that if Governor Cooper believes it is safe enough to run a race at Charlotte then maybe the Governor will think the same about amusement parks.
#LetsGoRacing

Without fans. The race will be without fans.
By Nctodbear
He said could possibly run and they are talking about possibly reworking the fan experience from my understanding. I find it hard to think about riding rides with people coughing and me going through their spray not knowing what you’re being exposed to. But that would be my choice. I just think we would see many people thinking the same. Then companies have to evaluate if it would be worth wasting payroll on extremely small attendance numbers overall if that were to happen.
Chris wrote:

I truly believe that years from now - with actual complete data and facts, and not just a bunch of guesses - we'll find that the risk of becoming infected at a theme park was very minimal. The risk of being exposed? Sure, there's a reasonable risk. The risk of potential exposure? Of course, there's countless points of potential exposure (that's true every time you leave the house). But the risk of actually becoming infected? Pretty slim. After 4 months of supposedly running rampant, this remains way, way to small for it to be anything close to what it's been made out to be.

We're letting our lives be dictated by the "what if" worst case potential scenarios, rather than what's reasonably likely.
Glitch99 wrote: we'll find that the risk of becoming infected at a theme park was very minimal.

What??! :shock:

By definition, this virus is spread through CONTACT. In other words, by touching uncleaned surfaces an infected person has touched. You actually WANT to go and touch handrails and restraints that literally thousands have touched before you? Until we get a better handle on this thing..... #STAYATHOME
uscbandfan wrote:
Glitch99 wrote: we'll find that the risk of becoming infected at a theme park was very minimal.

What??! :shock:

By definition, this virus is spread through CONTACT. In other words, by touching uncleaned surfaces an infected person has touched. You actually WANT to go and touch handrails and restraints that literally thousands have touched before you? Until we get a better handle on this thing..... #STAYATHOME

That's potential exposure. There is absolutely zero indication of how often those potential exposures convert to an actual infection.

Except the fact that there were millions of people potentially exposed countless times every day for weeks in NYC subways and on NYC sidewalks. If any meaningful fraction of that potential did manifest in actual infections, a vast majority of the city would've been infected by now. They're not.
Glitch99 wrote:After 4 months of supposedly running rampant, this remains way, way to small for it to be anything close to what it's been made out to be.

That's because a vast majority of your vectors are only going out when needed, rather than standing in lines at amusement parks, walking by each other at a restaurant, and sitting next to each other in a classroom.

The mere fact that you aren't seeing the virus "running rampant" is because we aren't giving it the ability to do so.
yawetag wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:After 4 months of supposedly running rampant, this remains way, way to small for it to be anything close to what it's been made out to be.

That's because a vast majority of your vectors are only going out when needed, rather than standing in lines at amusement parks, walking by each other at a restaurant, and sitting next to each other in a classroom.

The mere fact that you aren't seeing the virus "running rampant" is because we aren't giving it the ability to do so.

Sure, for the last month. What about all winter, when people were doing absolutely nothing to mitigate the risk? If the actual risk was anything close to the potential risk everyone fears, half the country would've already been infected back in February.

Even in NYC, millions of people were "potentially exposed" hundreds (or more) of times per day for weeks straight, without becoming infected.

And that's ignoring the fact that we've thrown a laundry list of stuff at the problem, to produce the results. But what things are having the most effect? There are a number of measures that can be replicated in an amusement park environment, that could produce a bulk of the same success we've seen in general. Despite the insistence of some, it doesnt have to be all or nothing.

I'd probably skip the crowded theater, and I wouldnt pack people in like a Saturday night during Scarowinds. But in general, I predict that a day at Carowinds will be proven to pose minimal risk to the average patron.
By Chris
I've come to realize that there are a group of people that you will never be able to talk common sense to. There is literally no point in trying. There are no amount of facts or scientific studies that will ever convince them. It's best to just let them have their incorrect thoughts and to just move on.

Stay safe, everyone.
By RollerBee
“Half of Six Flags passholders and members surveyed said they would visit the parks today if they were open. Approximately 80% of those surveyed said they would visit a Six Flags park in 2020 if the company implemented health and safety measures.

“Based on our surveys, it seems that our guests are eager to return to our parks,” Spanos said.”

Source:
https://www.dailynews.com/2020/04/30/si ... ew-normal/
By Glitch99
Chris wrote:I've come to realize that there are a group of people that you will never be able to talk common sense to. There is literally no point in trying. There are no amount of facts or scientific studies that will ever convince them. It's best to just let them have their incorrect thoughts and to just move on.

Stay safe, everyone.

I could say the same. The lack of facts and scientific evidence goes both ways. It's all just a bunch of theories.

I'm just saying that I think the risk of infection is based largely on prolonged exposure, not just random, casual potential exposures. And in an amusement park, people rarely spend more than a few minutes in any one place (and where they do is where the park will need to adapt policies accordingly).
By tarheel1231
Glitch99 wrote:I could say the same. The lack of facts and scientific evidence goes both ways. It's all just a bunch of theories.

I'm just saying that I think the risk of infection is based largely on prolonged exposure, not just random, casual potential exposures. And in an amusement park, people rarely spend more than a few minutes in any one place (and where they do is where the park will need to adapt policies accordingly).

No, it does not go “both ways.” On one side, there are doctors, researchers, and other medical professionals who are currently studying the virus, using the scientific method to draw conclusions, and cautioning against people congregating in large groups; and on the other side, there are news outlets funded by people who are calling to reopen the economy, because they would rather have a sizable percentage of the population die for them than see their stocks drop. If it only looks like “a bunch of theories”, it’s because the virus only originated in November of 2019.
By Glitch99
tarheel1231 wrote:No, it does not go “both ways.” On one side, there are doctors, researchers, and other medical professionals who are currently studying the virus, using the scientific method to draw conclusions,

...that always include some form of "but we really dont know". There's a constant flow of new data informing those conclusions. And those doctors, researchers, and other medical professionals have been and will continue to revise their conclusions accordingly. A number of them outright state that they'll be happy to be proven wrong, because they know their conclusions are only valid based on the limited information available at the time.
By LocoDriver
I'm with Glitch 99 on this. How many experts have predicted much worse death rates? How many experts have changed their minds? The answer is all of them. Also, a lot of these experts have agendas. Many are vying for funding for their special interests projects and stand to make a killing at the sacrifice of all of us.

I stand in lines every day at Home Depot, Lowes, Publix etc. I have not put the 1st mask on. Let those that are willing to go out go. Those that are worried can stay home and feel safe. No sense in killing the economy beyond repair for a virus that is turning out to be no more deadly than the common Flu. The world is covered in viruses and germs. People are exposed to these things every day.

I know I won't change anyone's mind and that's okay. But for some of you to act like others with different points of view are ridiculous or just stupid is being very narrow minded. I respect your opinions and worries, I just don't share the same concerns.

I hope Carowinds opens soon, and I hope they do it safely. There are ways to do it and even if the park is half staffed, or operating at less than 100% capacity it gives those of us that feel healthy and safe an option to get out and enjoy something.