Share thoughts, photos, and reviews from visits to Carowinds or any other amusement park
Instead of doing starting a new thread to put each trip report in, I have decided to just keep it all in one thread. I tend to procrastinate quite a bit and hopefully this will keep me motivated to stay on top of it. I will link to each 'report' at the top of this page here, with the most recent being on top. This - *NEW* - will be on the newest report. Hopefully it will move "up" the list, but it could also go "down" as well, might bring out some stuff from the past. :) (Don't get your hopes up)

==CAROWINDS==
[June 27, 2014] - Harmony Hall opening/Construction Update here
[April 12, 2013] - here
[May 15, 2010] - here

==2011==

[Sept. 4th] - Fun Fore All, Conneaut Lake Park, Midway Park, Waldameer Park *COMING SOON*
[Sept. 3rd] - Jungle Jack's Landing, Tuscora Park and Kennywood - here
[Sept. 2nd] - Memphis Kiddie Park and Cedar Point (see below)

==2009==

[Sept. 7th] - Six Flags Fiesta Texas - here
[Sept. 5th and 6th] - Six Flags Over Texas - here
[sept. 5th] - Frontier City, Sandy Lake - here
[Sept. 4th] - Sea World San Antonio, Kemah Boardwalk - here

[June 14th] - Maine Rain Out, Funworld Game Center, Canobie Lake Park - here
[June 13th] - Quassy, Lake Compounce - here
[June 12th] - Fenway Park, Six Flags New England - here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 was a very strange year for me, in quite a lot of ways. I had a lot of things happen in my personal life that took up time as well as money so riding coasters was put on the back burner for most of the year. Finally toward Labor Day weekend all the pieces were being set into place for me to finally take a trip. It wouldn't really be much with my limited resources at the time, but it was enough where I could take (pay for) my brother(unemployed) to some excellent places that he had never been. SEE I'M NICE!

To make this story have an even stranger start, the night before we were to leave the apartment next to ours suffered some major flooding. Now this sounds like it would be unrelated but it started to seep into our apartment from that side. Furniture had to be moved out of the way, disaster relief people came in with their vacuum dryers and their suction hoses and large industrial fans and generally caused a very stressful situation. Nothing of ours was damaged, but the furniture had to be kept out of the way for many hours until everything dried. We didn't even start packing until past 10pm that night.

Fast forward to a very very early 3:30am, we woke up and were on the road for Ohio. Made some impeccable timing and made it to the Ohio Welcome Center right as they opened at 9am. I was surprised how easy the drive was.

Our first park of the day was to be Memphis Kiddie Park, which is not in Memphis, but Brooklyn, which is not 'the' Brooklyn, but a suburb of Cleveland.

Link.

I didn't really know much about it other than it was very small, very old, and had a credit.

Link.

Memphis Kiddie Park opened in 1952 and is basically 10 kiddie rides on either side of a tiny 200 foot long midway. At the end of the midway there is a Herschell Little Dipper (which we would encounter many of on this trip), which as this sign says, is the "Oldest Standing Steel Coaster in North America." According to RCDB this might actually be true.

Link.

There is not much to say about this ride. It goes around in a large oval shape, and is uncomfortable for adults. Whatever. (#578)

Link.

I had the bright idea for my brother to give some sort of sign or funny face to describe every coaster he was to ride this trip, this photo was the first and last of that idea. Way to go with the bit dude.

Link.

We did not lollygag long, as America's Roller Coast was a-callin', and were done with Memphis Kiddie Park in just under 10 minutes. Although some of my other credit-whoring adventures have come close, this is definitely the shortest amount of time I've ever spent at a single "park."

To see all my Memphis Kiddie Park pictures please click here.

Cedar Point.. where to begin. I first went in 2003 when I was a coaster-noob. At the end of my first visit I had a mighty coaster count of 84, and Cedar Point's 15 coasters made about 20% of that total. Top Thrill Dragster was new for that year, but not only did I not get a ride, I never even saw it test. Of course for the remainder of that year I sang the praises of Cedar Point about how it was my favorite park ever and Millennium Force was my favorite coaster.

The next year that all changed with visits to parks like Knoebels and Six Flags New England, and not only did I become cynical of Cedar Point, I outright bashed it. Anytime someone brought up Cedar Point I would quickly make a point to say how it "wasn't that good" and "highly overrated." Fast forward to now, where I had not only traveled around the country, but around the world. Eight long years later, I was a veteran, and the 15 coasters at Cedar Point now made up less than 2% of my total count. I had neglected to go back to Cedar Point, because why bother? What's the point in driving 8 hours just for two new credits? There were new and different places to get to all the time, but Cedar Point will always be there, not adding anything new or different for me, just being boring and predictable.

Unexpectedly and without notice, this feeling suddenly changed going up the causeway. Where my first view of the Cedar Point skyline eight years earlier was met with stunned silence, my brother instead unleashed a string of expletives. I knew *THE VIEW* was coming, so I didn't quite get the 'shock' my brother did, still I became quite giddy. I was finally excited to go to Cedar Point.

We skipped to the entrance gate, where we were suddenly greeted by maXair. I was kind of worried about how crowds would be, being the Friday before Labor Day, but they were totally manageable throughout the day.

Link.

maXair was new since my last visit, and had to ask my brother if he was okay with his first ride at Cedar Point not being a coaster. He said it was fine and we were on quickly. I had been on Delirium so I knew what to expect, but the power that this thing packs still shocks me. It's like "hey I'm up like 100 feet but I'm still going higher, and fast!" Really loved it, and as been beaten to death Carowinds would do well to get a ride similar to this.

Next up, right behind maXair..

Link.

I don't seem remember a single thing about it, except it was the literally no wait, to the point where the operators looked like they had been without human contact for hours. No wonder they are ripping it out.

My brother had never been on an impulse before, and just so happened right next door was Wicked Twister, which is one of my favorite rides at Cedar Point. It also provided interesting views of the new WindSeeker.

Link.

We were going to do WindSeeker next, but the line looked lengthy so we figured we could just come back to it later. On the way up to Top Thrill Dragster just the sheer size of Cedar Point came rushing back to me. Everything in the park is so much bigger than pretty much any other park. The rides, the buildings, the midways, its all just so over the top.

Something I never saw on my last trip, a TRAIN! ON TOP THRILL DRAGSTER! OHGODITSOPEN!!!

Link.

I was expecting the worse, line-wise, but it wasn't bad at all only 20 minutes for a back seat ride. In terms of the actual ride itself I knew what to expect having been on Kingda Ka, but it certainly wasn't much better. I do not get the hype for these type of rides. It's big and fast, but there is no substance. 25 million dollars wasted on a mechanical nightmare.

It's unfortunate I didn't get to ride this in 2003, as I'm sure I would have loved it more before I became a jaded prick. (#579)

Link.

Some of us were a little more jazzed about it though...

Link.

We continued with the coasters hitting Corkscrew and Magnum. I was excited to re-ride Magnum to see if it still packed its punch, it did not disappoint. My brother thought it had too much punch and did not enjoy it, much to my dismay.

Link.

I opted to do Paddlewheel Excursions next since I knew they were removing at the end of the year. It was a nice cool down from the day's somewhat frenzied pace. The kitcsh factor alone made this worth keeping, as even I was gotten by some of the gags (Look around for your seatbelt..) and the views of Mantis and Dragster were nice as well. RIP PWE.

Link.

Link.

Quickly continuing with the coasters we did Woodstock Express where we saw kids lick the railings, both sides of Gemini where I forgot how close those head-choppers look, and Mean Streak which sucked even more than I remember.

Next was the other new-to-me coaster, Maverick, which had just opened back up from some downtime, yet still had a lengthy wait.

Link.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much. I read all sorts of reviews since its opening in 2007, and most, if not all positive. Yet me, the jaded prick, was still skeptical. I believe we opted for a front seat ride. Also, this ride is impossible to get pictures of.

Link.

I freaking loved this ride. (#580) Everything about it Cedar Point departed from their conventional thinking to try something different, and for that alone I applaud them. The LIM-lift thing I swear I did back in the day in RCT and it works nicely here. The airtime hill was absolutely nuts. I'm a big fan of the mid-course launch in general, and this one was no exception, a great element that should be implemented on more rides. The Stengel Dive took me completely off guard and pretty sure it caused me to bash my head into the restraint, but that is also a good element that could be GREAT with some lapbars. (Goliath at Walibi Holland anyone?) The long line made sure we only rode it once, but I'll definitely spend some more time here next time I'm at CP.

Matt gives it the same rating at Little Dipper at Memphis Kiddie Park...

Link.

I was somewhat surprised to see Chick-Fil-A this far north so we stopped for a quick meal. we backtracked a bit for a quick ride on Cedar Creek Mine Ride and admired Skyhawk a bit. We would come back for that one.

Stopped to pet the goats under the Millennium Force overbank, one of the more odd juxtapositions I would say.

Does this kid have the same reaction to everything or what? Get some new schtick!

Link.

We passed by Millennium Force intending to do it of course, but it was strangely down. I openly laughed in my brothers face at the prospect of him missing the most iconic ride at the Point.

And another broken Intamin ride..

Link.

On to manufacturers who's rides work fine, though sometimes we wish they didn't, we hit Mantis.

Link.

It was another ride that was completely walk on, and I for whatever reason liked it a lot more than I remember. Following Banshee we hit Wildcat (RIP) and Iron Dragon, which I told my brother was a rarity these days given how many Arrow Suspendeds have disappeared in just the last few years. My brother wanted to do Cedar Downs so I happily obliged as they are also quite rare. Only a few credits left for my brother we hit Blue Streak, which was running fantastically. Cedar Fair get a lot of flack for the way they ruin wooden coasters (for good reason) but Blue Streak only seems to get better with age.

Our last non-MF coaster was Raptor. I was a big fan of this ride last time, but I remember not liking it as much this time. I can't remember why. This is what happens when you wait 10 months to write a trip report. Drat.

Link.

With all but one of the coasters out of the way we headed over to WindSeeker which still had a line. Thankfully to the high capacity we were on in the 2nd cycle. My brother thought it would be wise to wear his glasses. It wasn't. Everyone who's been on the one at Carowinds knows this already but the ride itself is nothing great, but if you even have the tiniest fear of heights it could become unnerving.

Link.

Next to WindSeeker was an exit for the park for beach access. My brother went all in getting about thigh-high in Lake Erie, while I just stayed on the sand and took advantage of the interesting angles of Wicked Twister.

Link.

We went back over to Millennium Force where it had re-opened and already had quite a significant line. We noticed as we got close to the exit platform that there were screams of horror and disgust. As night had set, the infamous Cedar Point muffleheads had set in as well. I actually wanted to ride in the front but my brother did not want to wait any longer and didn't want to be smothered by bugs, so I believe we settled for the 3rd row. As for the actual ride itself, what can I say about MF that's never been said? It's not a favorite of mine by any means, but its speed is just unrelenting throughout the entire course. I just wish it did something. The bugs were so thick on the island it almost felt like it was raining. Make sure to click on the "Link" under these pics to see the full size versions where you can see all the bug carcasses on my face and hands. It's disgusting and hilarious.

Link.

Link.

Just over an hour left till the park closed, we walked through the Starlight Experience (which is about twice as big as the one at Carowinds) on the way to Skyhawk. Took two quick rides on Skyhawk, which I absolutely loved.

Link.

We then went on to a few more flats with no lines, Wave Swinger, Monster, and Witches Wheel, the Enterprise. We passed by Magnum again, and I wanted my brother to try it in a different seat to see if he liked it more. We rode closer to the back this time and he really liked it a lot. Another quick spin on Magnum for the last ride of the night, and on to the long walk out of the park. Overall I was stunned we got to do every coaster and a number of flats, most with zero to little wait. I would say you couldn't have asked for a better day.

To see all my Cedar Point 2011 pictures please click here.

Map of my driving for Day 1-
What a shocker I didn't keep up with this, I'm usually known for doing everything I say I'm going to!

We woke up around 7:30 and were on the road by 8. I only had 2 credits left to get in Ohio that weren't Jr. Gemini, and I would hopefully be getting both of them today.

We arrived at the Columbus Zoo shortly after they opened at 10 AM.

And upon closer inspection.. what's that?

NOOOOO. COME ON I DROVE TWO HOURS FOR THIS.

We unsurprisingly did an about face and left.

A short 2.5 hours later we were at Tuscora Park.

Link.

Tuscora Park is basically a large public park for the city of New Philadelphia, Ohio. It just so happens to also have a coaster.

They have geese. See? It's a park.

Link.

Here is a miniature train that circled the park.

Link.

Enough of the nonsense, here is why we are here.

Link.

Link.

We bought our tickets and got in line, there was no line. The operator went ahead and let us sit down in the car before telling us, "uh, you have to be 17 or under to ride this." I of course quickly said "WE ARE!" to which the operator looked puzzled, but started the ride. As the lift started I yelled to my brother "I CAN'T WAIT TO START HIGH SCHOOL THIS YEAR!"

My whoredom has no limits. And no dignity. (#581)

I really like places like this as they feel very "home-y." We walked around for a short while longer looking at all the really old kiddie rides. Check them out at the link below.

To see all my Tuscora Park pictures please click here.

After getting somewhat lost in Pittsburgh we finally found Kennywood at 3:30.

Having never parked at Kennywood on my last visit I forgot there was free parking at the top of the hill across the street. And really the only way to get down that hill to the park was a chairlift.

Link.

It was somewhat scary, very slow, and an odd and interesting way to start our day at Kennywood. Got a good view of most of the rides which pumped us up. Kennywood gets me pumped!

Link.

Having not eaten all day our first stop was the giant Parkside Cafe in the middle of the park. I don't remember what I ate, but I remember it being tasty. Highly recommended!

Our first ride of course was the new-for-me Sky Rocket. I wasn't particularly excited about it, as it kind of looked like one of the Italian Jobs but with inversions.

Link.

Link.

The airtime on the first hill really caught me by surprise, but the rest of the ride was fairly tame. Overall a good ride for Kennywood, but nothing to write home about. (#582)

Next up was Racer, a Kennywood classic. Racer is one of 3 möbius racing coasters on the planet, which means you if you depart from the right station you will finish in the left station and vice versa. Unfortunately I do not remember which side I rode last time I was here, so I still may only have half this credit. A very fun ride that I'm surprised modern manufacturers haven't looked at more. A new möbius coaster could be very interesting.

Link.

Next up was another "new" coaster for me. My last visit here Lil' Phantom had a height limit so only kids could ride, and a few years ago this was removed, letting all us losers get our credit.

"Hi, Is this where I sign up for the sad and pathetic losers club?"
Link.

Look at that breakneck speed. It was great! (#583)

Link.

I was looking for this fountain at Cedar Point and was sad when I saw it had been removed, glad it found a home here. I'm curious to the story behind it now.

Link.

New since my last visit was Ghostwood Estates, which I had heard good things about. From what I recall it was a pretty normal Sally shooter, but I enjoy Sally shooters and this was no different. My brother beat me 2300 to 1950. :-|

Link.

Next up was Phantom's Revenge, which I enjoyed previously in 2003. I was looking forward to trying this out again since becoming a more "experienced" enthusiast. Would it hold up?

Link.

Indeed it did. Short but sweet, packs a great punch. I wish we had more time to ride this, but it would be our only ride of day.

Over to another ride I didn't get enough rides on last time, Thunderbolt.

Link.

I really forgot how fantastic this ride was. The epitome of classic.

Night was starting to fall and it was getting more crowded. Very few parks do nighttime well, but Kennywood is one of them, with lights everywhere on just about every ride. We were on the way to Jack Rabbit and passed by Aero 360, which I wanted to do.

Link.

As far as inverting flats go, the Zamperla Hawk 48 is really great. High capacity, face-to-face seating, and a rare 3-across seating arrangement as well. I find them quite thrilling and disorienting as well.

Over to Jack Rabbit where we had a pretty substantial wait. It packed much less of a punch than I remember, but it was in complete darkness so that was fun.

Walking back over to Exterminator so my brother could get his final credit, we stopped by Noah's Ark. Everything about this is fantastic, and I'm somewhat amazed more parks don't have any walkthrough attractions except during Halloween events. Unfortunately this Noah's Ark still pales in comparison mightily to the one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach which is about twice as long.

Link.

We hadn't yet ridden Swing Shot, and it was loading as we passed by so we went for a quick ride. I love how this nearly goes over the road. Love these S&S contraptions.

Link.

My brother was complaining of hunger so we stopped by Potato Patch to get some fries. No visit to Kennywood is complete without a stop. I don't remember what I got but I think gravy was involved and a lot of napkins needed to be used.

We finally made our way to Exterminator only to find likely be the longest wait of the day at about 40 minutes. It consistently moved (good) slowly (bad). Average themed spinning mouse.

Once out we didn't know what to do so we went to the Wave Swinger. I am a sucker for Wave Swingers and my Wave Swinger count is likely more than many people's coaster count. #HumbleBrag

Link.

I almost had forgotten about the classic one-of-a-kind Turtle ride that Kennywood has, and quickly dragged my brother over to it. I proudly boasted how this is the only one left on the planet or some such nonsense. I would be proven wrong the next day as Conneaut has one as well.

It appeared as if the magical mystery Kennywood closing time was finally upon us so we tried running around to see what was open. We ran over to Thunderbolt and snagged a awesome night ride but after that there was nothing else open. Great way to end the night. Goodbye Kennywood, I hope it isn't another 8 years before I visit you again.

Link.

To see all my Kennywood 2011 pictures please click here.

We had to ride that damned Sky Ride back up to our car and it was infinitely more unnerving at night. On the road getting lost through Pittsburgh (again!) we finally made it to Cranberry Township and wondered why they had a million eating establishments yet none open after Midnight. We finally settled on an Eat 'N Park near the hotel which was a 24 hour diner type place that was surprisingly very good.

Map of my driving for Day 2-