Share thoughts, photos, and reviews from visits to Carowinds or any other amusement park
Me and my friend's arrived at the park around 11 AM, and as expected the lines were minimal like it would be for a Monday in the middle of summer. We made several loops around the park riding everything the park had to offer as many times as we felt liked.

Around 3:00 my group wanted to head to the water park, I didn't have swim wear so I split from the group. I was just about to be sent out on front row Intimidator when it started to rain. I instantly knew this was going to be a really painful ride. It was really cool to see the rain falling as you looked over the first drop, however that is when the fun ended. The rain hitting you at that speeds were painful, with each drop hitting your stinging. After this ride, I decided it would be better to ride something much slower and less painful in the rain. I was just about to board Windseeker when a crack of thunder suspended operations of the ride along with all rides in the park. I decided to stay in line under the canopy thinking it would block the rain. It did for a little while till the winds were strong enough that it was raining sideways. I ran from Windseeker to the arcade in the monsoon, where several other people were camping out.

After the storm blew through, the rest of the park tried to recover from the storm. Everything was down for about an hour and a half after the rain stopped. The park was a mess from all the twigs and leaves blown around. Part of Gold Rusher's tin roof was blown off from the storm. Vortex had a large branch fall on the lift hill, so it never reopened for the day. Hurler's sign was smashed from something hitting it, the only part of the sign left reads "Hu". Intimidator had a lot of trouble from part of the sign's lettering being blown down. Intimidator was also stuck by lightning, so a few things in the computer had to be reset. After a while several rides opened back up, but still about half of the rides were down for the rest of the night. The fireworks show was cancelled as well. Interesting to see how a storm like that can effect the park that badly.
By chknwing
According to Screamscape, A small violent storm is said to have rocked the Carowinds area on Monday afternoon, causing some damage in the park. According to one report I was sent, a section of the roof on the upper floor of the Outer Hanks building blew off, a tree snapped and fell onto Vortex, the backdrops for the Got Country show were blown away, lots of blown over trashcans, etc.
By Picklesthedrummer
Yep I was there. It was a really nasty storm. Worst storm I have seen since living in Houston. I talk about it more in detail in the most recent trip report I have posted on here.
By chunkyskunk
I was at the park for a few hours yesterday afternoon. I was with my brother and we took his two small boys. I forgot all about the damage until almost leaving. I do remember seeing the roof damage near the Carolina Cyclone and I had my camera but for some stupid reason it did not registar in my brain to take a photo. I guess I was mainly focused on watching the boys. Other than that, I did not noticed too much out of the ordinarily.
By Picklesthedrummer
gabed wrote:Does anyone have pictures? :?

Sadly this day was one of the few days I decided not to take my camera to Carowinds :?
By gabed
Here is a picture of the outer hanks roof.
Attachments
IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG (260.29 KiB) Viewed 9107 times
By gabed
Here's a close up.
Attachments
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG (117.79 KiB) Viewed 9106 times
^Right next to our version of Top Thrill Dragster will go, right?
By coasterdude
Today I was riding drop tower, (facing away from the park) and in the woods behind hurler the park has cleared out a medium-large size area and filled it with construction equipment. I know that this isn't a wishlist but still... :P
By coasterdude
Sorry I didn't mean to post that there!
By docmcnugget
arby wrote:Actually that is planned construction. The new 400 foot drop tower is going to go through where that roof used to be. :lol:

But isn't Carowinds not supposed to have coasters taller than 300 ft or something because of the airplanes?