Share thoughts, photos, and reviews from visits to Carowinds or any other amusement park
By costersrock172
So my family went to Carowinds one night this summer and as soon as we got there we rode vortex and then the scrambler. When we got to Richochet the whole ride was stopped and people were getting out of line so we tried drop zone and it was stuck at the top, after that we tried hurler, scream weaver, Carolina goldrusher, and Carolina cobra. Finally we asked a worker what was going on and he said that every ride in the park was closed for some kind of test so we waited around for about an hour for the rides to come back on while tons of people were leaving the park. Then around 8:30 we saw nighthawk running with people on it but as soon as we got there the line was HUGE then lots of other rides started opening so we went and rode the windseeker then we watched snoopys starlight spactacular and by 9:30 every single ride was running so we rode the best ride ever the intimidator! And here is the most unusual part of the trip afterburn and vortex got stuck on the lift hill so I am still thinking about that. So long people!!!
By Chris
Sounds like you had a great time. Where was the bad experience? Surely, you aren't referring to them having to do basic maintenance on the rides throughout the day?
By JEdMc91
I swear we must have gone on the same day! Hurler was closed for the majority of the day, Afterburn was stuck on the lift for about 2 hours, I was on Vortex when it got stuck on the lift.
By falula
The day you are speaking of was the day of a power outage. There was no other choice but to stop all rides and perform safety checks before loading passengers. Carowinds prides itself on safety and I don't want them to apologize for taking the time to make sure everything is 100% before putting my family back on each ride. I would say thank you instead.
By jeffdavis
I was there Sunday afternoon July 8th and a big thunderstorm rolled through, dropped a lot of rain and there was lightning all around. After it cleared out it was a long time before the rides re-opened and we heard there was a power outage. Best I can tell the rides might be on a separate circuit so that the restaurants, games, shops, etc. can stay open.

I don't mind the occasional ride closure for safety and maintenance and I certainly don't mind them running test cycles before I give it a try. Safety is a priority.

I had actually forgotten about the down-time from 7/8 because I didn't let it ruin my day.

I'm assuming you're talking about another day though since this was a storm-related incident.
By Picklesthedrummer
Things like this happen sometimes. It is unusual for Carowinds to have this many problems in a day, but safety is key. Im sure chances are the next time you go, there will not be this many problems.