Share thoughts, photos, and reviews from visits to Carowinds or any other amusement park
By arby

We finally made our first trip to Knoebels, a well maintained classic park with lots of character. Unfortunately I was only able to spend a few hours here but since it wasn't in the original plans for this trip it was great to get our initial experience. We will certainly make plans to return, hopefully during a Phoenix Phall Phunfest some upcoming year.

The primary reason I wanted to go was for Phoenix. Yes, it was more than I anticipated. This great woody is smooth and well balanced with many moments of air time. It easily made it into my top five wooden coasters.

Speaking of wooden coasters, Twister is also a good coaster. It is also well maintained with lots of lateral Gs. For some reason, something on it was lacking for me so it didn't make it into my top 10 wooden coasters. I will still be happy to ride it many more times, though.

Flying Turns is still being worked on. Our second time by the ride I saw a worker walking the track inspecting it but he disappeared out of sight before I could get my camera out. Recent news since my trip has cars on the track with decals so it appears that they will have this open later this year or by next season from what it appears.

A trip report to Knoebels wouldn't be complete without mentioning The Haunted House, arguably one of the best classic ride-through haunted houses I have experienced. The effects were all working and better done than I am used to seeing. I really do need to join DAFE as my entire family truly loves dark rides.

We also rode a few other rides including Black Diamond, Stratosphere, and a few flats. The park was 'very busy' with people on this Sunday morning/early afternoon but since the admission to the park is free that is to be expected. The lines were very manageable and mostly a walk-on. As usually happens, the lines started growing as we were leaving mid afternoon.

Since we were under a tight time constraint we weren't able to sample any of the food that I have heard so much about. That didn't bother me as it gives us yet another reason to make sure we return to this park. If you have never been to Knoebels you don't know what you are missing. You really must make plans to stop by when you're anywhere near central PA.

I should also mention the recent 2011 flood that most of us followed. The picture above gives you an idea of how high the flood waters were. I'm still amazed that they opened the park a mere 10 days later.

If you're interested in reading my GP-focused TR, check out my travel blog. My travel Facebook page in my signature also has more pictures from our trip.
By arby
Unfortunately we were on such of a time constraint that I did not get a chance to try those three. Thanks for the tip, though. I'll be sure to check them out next time I am there. I'm hoping to sneak in another trip in October.