Share thoughts, photos, and reviews from visits to Carowinds or any other amusement park
By Lathan610
I have been going to Carowinds since I was born. I love it! But over the years I have grown and now I am 6 foot 6 inches. Each year getting on certain roller coasters has been becoming more and more of an issue. Basically anything with the shoulder bar coming over shoulders are the ones I am having trouble getting fastened. The Carolina Cyclone, The Vortex, After Burn & Drop Zone all give me issues. The Carolina Cobra would but that shoulder bar is more of a softer/flexible material. If they at least had one seat on each of those rides where the shoulder bars were higher than the rest of them, I would not have a problem. With my shoulders being so high the shoulder bar has no room to come down, which means I can't get the bar down low enough to fasten the seat belt. Pretty much After Burn and a Vortex are a no go for me, I don't even try anymore but on the Cyclone and Drop Zone I can wiggle myself down enough just to barely get the seat belt fastened. Any chance on helping out us tall folks and making a seat with a higher shoulder bar? Other than that I still love me some Carowinds... but I want to be able to ride all the coasters!
By MarkD
My son and I are also in your dilemma, we are both 6'5", but I think I am shrinking with age. :lol: Sounds to me like your upper torso is long. My legs are long and my torso is small.

Anyhow, I thought that Afterburn had special seats to accommodate weight and height. Seems to me they were around the 5th or 6th row on the outside.

I usually get around the shoulder bar problem on Vortex by slightly, but not noticeable, bending the knees to keep the crotch bar a little lower. That way I actually kind of sit on it giving me that extra inch or so at the shoulder.

If you ride the cyclone get a "front" seat in one of the cars. More leg room to scootch into.

Those are the only 2 coasters I have a hard time with.
By Jetp
Ay 6'5", I have a similar problem but it's my legs that cause the problem. I don't even bother with Cobra, Ricochet and goldrusher anymore. I usually come out of Hurler, Thunder Road in pain in my knees. Cyclone, it has to be the front seat. I don't have any problems with Intimidator, Afterburn or Nighthawk.
I'm 6' 7" and can ride every coaster at the park. I essentially slouch just a little bit on each ride. On Cyclone, I only ride in front row cause there is more legroom to allow for slouching. The hardest one is Drop Zone, but I can still manage.