Share thoughts, photos, and reviews from visits to Carowinds or any other amusement park
By fiascokris
First off hello as I am new to the site. I live in Charlotte and have a 13 and 11 year old that have decided coasters are their new thing so this year I got platinum passes and we decided to head up to KD. Upon our approach I thought the parking area and front gate were disappointing at best but once we got in I was very surprised. The Eiffel Tower and International Street are lovely and the theming throughout the park was excellent. They had giant candy apples in Candy Apple Grove (their County Fair area) and the Safari Village area was very themed down to the music. Also, although we didn't ride anything in Planet Snoopy, I have to say they have way more to offer at KD for the little ones and the theming again was really great.
We arrived on a Tues evening with no fast pass but it wasn't needed. We rode Volcano, Intim305, Flight of Fear, and Dominator at least 4 times each along with others. The only glitch was they had some kind of computer error and all the coasters went offline for about 45 minutes. So we decided to eat dinner and take advantage of the season dining. Ate at Hungry Hippo in the Safari section. Food was not that great, not that bad but the restaurant was hot! That's when I was missing the a/c in Harmony Hall. Once we were done, the coasters were starting to run so we hit Backlot Stunt Coaster which was a fun and again really themed ride. I thought it looked tame but the launch took me by surprise and I liked it.

Wednesday we had fastlane plus and rode all the coasters at least twice and the big 4 so many times I can't count. We also hit the logflume and caught the Cirque Imagine show in their theater. I haven't seen a show at Carowinds in years but this show at KD was amazingly done. Plus it was a good 30 minute break in comfy seats and a/c. We rode some of the flats as well and the old time cars before hitting the coasters again. Took a bit to find Grizzly and I had to ask a park employee where the heck the entrance was. You enter through the Dinosaurs Alive giftshop and there is a sign on the shop but since I wasn't looking up go figure. I will say I only took one ride on Grizzly and let the kids ride again as it was pretty rough ride. I thought Rebel Yell was a nice ride and maybe smoother than Thunder Road. I passed on Hurler as I figured it was more of the same.

All in all we had a great time at KD and are hoping to make it back next year. I enjoyed their starlight spectacular much more than at Carowinds bec they were able to incorporate the lights on the tower and the fountains on International Street. I do have to say that the theming really impressed me at KD and I hope that Carowinds can improve on that aspect in the future.
By barrynyu
^I agree. Just returned to KD after twenty-some years. Badly needs a front gate treatment (and is rumored to get one along with a major coaster out front). International Street and the Eiffel Tower are beautiful, as is the tremendous amount of forests, trees, and landscaping. Don't ride Hurler...oh my. Got our first rollback on Volcano. Awesome. Needs a food upgrade and a new coaster, but a pretty nice park. Doesn't touch Busch Gardens, though.
By coasterbruh
I think the front gate is forgivable due to one you pass it, the international street is great!