Share thoughts, photos, and reviews from visits to Carowinds or any other amusement park
By Edwardo
Dorney Park

Dorney is one of those parks that you kind of just show up, stay a couple hours to get everything in, and then leave unless you’re doing an event or the water park. I knew it wouldn’t take long, and with Platinum Cedar Fair passes, why not stop by? We got in fairly quickly and headed straight to the closest coaster to the front.

ImageDSC02780 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
You never need more than about 2-3 hours to ride all of the rides you want at this park.

Talon-One train wait for the front, and I’d almost feel spoiled, but it is Dorney. The first drop is really great. It’s odd how quiet it is. The loop is really great, the next set of inversions are fun and powerful, and the ride just has a really great layout. I really like it.

ImageDSC02792 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
Third best invert in the country.

The mouse had a bit of a line (as usual, I think it may be the only ride that ever has a line), so we walked back towards more coasters. Dorney really kind of reminds me of a mini Cedar Point. You can definitely see the influence in the front gate, midway, and in the Shoot the Chutes ride. Up next was a quick shot of Hydra.

ImageDSC02815 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
Probably the best part of the ride.

Hydra-Other than the jojo roll, the ride is fairly unimpressive. We rode in the front. It’s fun, don’t get me wrong. And I like the drop into an inversion. It definitely is not a cookie cutter ride. Plus the cobra roll looks very different. We waited at the exit for the train to dispatch so we could take photos and video of the jojo rollthru.

We toyed with riding Apollo, and then even Dominator but didn’t. We walked over to Demon Drop, but it was closed. Bummer. So we walked to the park’s lone wooden coaster.

ImageDSC02851 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
My favorite section of the park.

Thunderhawk-It looks really great with the refurb, and I like the new trains. But the ride is still a bit rough and uninspiring. It could be more fun, I mean, it is a Schmeck coaster, and has a Shmeck seat, but any hint of airtime is trimmed out and rattly. But the paint job looks pretty.
We walked thru the nice looking section by Thunderhawk over towards Steel Force. Meh…

ImageDSC02810 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
It...Looks pretty.

Steel Force-More like Still Forceless, Amirite? Ugh. It looks so pretty. But wow, is it a boring hyper coaster. I like speed. I don’t dislike the ride. I do actually like the first drop. But I swear, in all my rides on this thing, I’ve never felt anything resembling airtime. The trains are right. It has hills. It just doesn’t do much. I’m glad the newer Morgans deliver.

Since this was basically a drive by coaster stop, we headed to the next coaster in site, after a quick restroom break.

ImageDSC02868 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
Sadly the back brake wasn't working.

Possessed-I couldn’t fit in Wicked Twister this year (had no issues last year), so I wasn’t sure if I would have any issues. I didn’t. At all. Not sure why they think that one half inch of belt is acceptable in another park in the chain, but whatever. I love these things, but unfortunately the back brake was not on, and that really is the best part. We rode in the front. The second launch up the twisty spike is unnerving.

We walked over for a quick ride on Stinger next.

ImageDSC02876 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
Loved the sign for this.

Stinger-This may be my favorite inverted boomerang. The station design and drop floor was different (yay, no cages!). The ride looks really nice and I love the sign. We faced a really fun mother and daughter for the ride, and it was a smooth ride. I like these, but this one seemed to be running the best of the 3 I’ve ridden.

I wanted to ride Zephyr (Love the signs in this park, by the way), but it was a wait for it to come back around, and we really had limited time, so we did another Mangles Whip. Again, lots of fun. Love me some Whip action.

ImageDSC02871 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
Two Mangles Whips in 2 days. Yay!

We walked up the hill in to Planet Snoopy. They had a haunt open during the day, but during the day it was kid friendly (and the whole thing wasn’t open), so we decided to try it. Basically it was hotel themed and actually well done, but the scaracters were being very nice and not scary and telling kids to stay in school. It was, um, interesting. A neat idea, actually. I just wanted to see the production values for the Dorney Haunt, which I’ve heard was pretty good.

So we headed to the mouse. The line was about 30 minutes long, but that’s okay.

ImageDSC02796 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
They're fun, but whatever.

Wild Mouse-It’s a wild mouse. Kinda braked, but not bad. I had fun. That’s about it.

I needed some sugar before we left so on the way out I got a Cinnabon. The girl at the counter gave it to me gratis. She was very sweet. So was the pecan caramel Cinnabon. We headed out of the park and headed back to NC. The ride was long, and I had to work the next morning, but it was well worth the trip.

ImageDSC02837 by C. E. Beavers, on Flickr
But it does look really pretty.