Everything else goes here, including discussion of parks outside of Carowinds and any off-topic discussion
By Jonathan
Most of those freeways listed are not double stacked, they are just elevated. Also many of them are regarded as huge mistakes that destroyed neighborhoods and in some cases (like that horrible Orlando one) the urban core itself. A lot of cities have even been tearing them down.
By arby
Valid point. I didn't even consider that. :oops:

The only one I can think of, then, is the Alaskan Way Viaduct in Seattle. It was damaged in 2001 by an earthquake and there are plans to replace it with a tunnel instead which may or may not happen due to continuing issue with boring the tunnel. As of last week, boring was halted once again due to issues. :shock:

I don't ever see a double stacked highway being built in Charlotte. There is no reason that I can think of to justify the immense cost of building and maintaining one when Charlotte has lots of space. In the long run it would be more cost effective to remove some buildings and widen highways at grade than build a double-stacked highway.
By lingerdog
As for the interchanges on the SC side, things will be happening sooner than you might expect. York County has a pennies for progress tax for local road projects and was already looking at work on some of these interchanges, and they are in the process of requesting state money to the tune of $140 million, to work on five interchanges, including Carowinds Blvd.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/ ... 43573.html
By FamousAmos
Carowinds Blvd. will receive an extra lane on either side, as well as a concrete barrier right there in front of the Wendy's (you know, that area of the road where there are no turning lanes. It's dangerous and people try to turn there, so this barrier will prevent that). Not sure what they're going to do with the I-77 exit/entrance ramps though; if anything at all.
By FamousAmos
I'm not sure, but I'm happy to see that we are getting another QT across the road. And it's within walking distance :D
By pproteinc
^ Are you serious? There's a QT right down the street. LOL. QT is taking over Charlotte and Fort Mill/Rock Hill areas. They're the new 7/11s.
By arby
Yes, and unfortunately QT has an agreement with Sheetz that they won't compete with each other. So the Charlotte area is stuck with QT whereas north of us is getting Sheetz, which is much better IMO.
By Edwardo
I like being both, but prefer sheetz. QT is good and the offerings have become more sheetz like since
Coming north.